Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The fastest regular car?

Options
  • 25-06-2016 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering - what would be an example of fastest car available on the market (say within last 15 years) which wouldn't be any sport's version or carry any Type-R, GTI, STI, EVO, etc name in it, or cost fortune....

What I'm thinking, is a car which would be average price to buy, average price to tax, average price to insure, average cost of maintenance, average on fuel, but provide best performance...

Any ideas?

My example is my own car - 09 Civic 2.2 i-CTDi.

It does 0-100km in 8.5 seconds which is not bad IMO.
    Beside that it cost average price to buy similar to any car of that age and size, it costs 280 to tax, not any loadings on insurance, and it's very good on fuel...

So I wonder what cars can do better?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Red D, red I Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

CiniO wrote: »
    I was wondering - what would be an example of fastest car available on the market (say within last 15 years) which wouldn't be any sport's version or carry any Type-R, GTI, STI, EVO, etc name in it, or cost fortune....

What I'm thinking, is a car which would be average price to buy, average price to tax, average price to insure, average cost of maintenance, average on fuel, but provide best performance...

Any ideas?

BMW 320?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The 170bhp Skoda Superb (not sure on the spec name) They're a fairly fast wagon for what they are.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

i know the very car

but i don't think you could handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The 170bhp Skoda Superb (not sure on the spec name) They're a fairly fast wagon for what they are.

Looking at spec, it's 2.0 TDI, 8.8s 0-100km/h, top speed 222km/h.

Not bad for what it is, but I think tax is 750 p/a if I'm right.
    Still not bad ;)

• Advertisement

XR3i wrote: »
    i know the very car

but i don't think you could handle it

Come on - what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 enya kenny

Ford Mustang - no doubt. My dream ****in car!

55k 2.3 litre 0-60 5.6 seconds
    80k 5.0 litre 0-60 4.5 seconds

enya kenny wrote: »
    Ford Mustang - no doubt. My dream ****in car!

55k 2.3 litre 0-60 5.6 seconds
    80k 5.0 litre 0-60 4.5 seconds

You hardly can clasify that as average price to buy, tax and insure

genericguy wrote: »
    BMW 320?

2.0 177BHP.

0-100km/h in 7.9 seconds.
    Top speed 230km/h.

What's the tax on that one in CO2 band?

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

Come on - what is it?

suits you sir

OWExNWE0YjE0MzA0OGU3MzI5OWY3NzE2YWVlZTRiNTLo5dW4t7534A_3RQv8Ado1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181Nzg2OTcwMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/twincam-ae86/12616350

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

2.0 177BHP.

Top speed 230km/h.

I don't know the tax on the 320, it's the fastest I've driven though. I've a 316, 2013, it's about 9 secs, but better in sport mode, and tax is 190.
    Edit - just had a quick check and 320 is coming up the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

this is like TOP TRUMPS anyone remember them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Still not bad ;)

Your not right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Lexus 450h 0-60 5secs

Any 3.0tdi

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

0-100 doesn't make a fast car, except in the US. We have these things called bends which means that sometimes the fastest straight line car can't handle the twisties.

........which wouldn't be any sport's version or carry any Type-R, GTI, STI, EVO, etc name in it, or cost fortune...........
    XR3i wrote: »

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Still not bad ;)

Even with DSG it doesn't feel fast. Another vote for the Lexus GS 450h. Probably the fastest non EV/shouty car I've been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

2.0 177BHP.

Top speed 230km/h.

I just paid €200 (IIRC) to tax mine. Pretty powerful car

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

thierry14 wrote: »
    Lexus 450h 0-60 5secs

There are seriously quick and not just to 60 either. They keep going.
    That electric motor off the line feels amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

thierry14 wrote: »
    Lexus 450h 0-60 5secs

cheapest GS450h is over 66 grand, so hardly fits the thread criteria?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

cheapest GS450h is over 66 grand, so hardly fits the thread criteria?

Did the OP say new?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Forget about the 0 -100 kph times for judging on road performance and look at the mid range acceleration like 50 to 120, a lot of diesels would leave so called sports cars for dead here. Your 2.2 civic is a very good choice. I drove one , rocket ship mid range and a small wonder how the clutch doesn't slip , with so much torque .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BMW 535d
    Audi 3.0

All considerably faster than the run of the mill 320 or 2.2 Honda and all just look like normal everyday rep mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

kceire wrote: »
    BMW 535d
    Audi 3.0

All considerably faster than the run of the mill 320 or 2.2 Honda and all just look like normal everyday rep mobiles.

We're not talking looks. Neither would be cheap to run, we're talking avg insurance, maintenance, avg running & purchasing costs etc.

I wouldn't be putting those in many of those brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pippip wrote: »
    We're not talking looks. Neither would be cheap to run, we're talking avg insurance, maintenance, avg running & purchasing costs etc.

If we're talking average for Ireland then none of the listed cars meet the criteria. The average Irish car has the smallest engine with the least power possible to save on motor tax. A 1l Yaris would meet the criteria.

Del2005 wrote: »
    0-100 doesn't make a fast car, except in the US. We have these things called bends which means that sometimes the fastest straight line car can't handle the twisties.

I agree 0-100 is not "say it all" parameter which would tell everything, but there's hardly any better one.
    In general, the lower 0-100 value, the faster the car will be.
    I know different cars handle bends differently, but there isn't that much of a difference really, especially if we're talking about quicker cars.

Bigus wrote: »
    Forget about the 0 -100 kph times for judging on road performance and look at the mid range acceleration like 50 to 120, a lot of diesels would leave so called sports cars for dead here.

In my experience, the better 0-100km/h result, will also indicate better mid-range acceleration.

You'll hardly find a car doing 0-100 in 8 seconds which will be worse in 50-120 then car doing 10 seconds 0-100.
    Or is there?

Your 2.2 civic is a very good choice. I drove one , rocket ship mid range and a small wonder how the clutch doesn't slip , with so much torque .

kceire wrote: »
    BMW 535d
    Audi 3.0

But cost more then normal to tax and insure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

There is a top gear video on youtube about the Mondeo ST22o, the Mazda 6 MPS and a Vauxhall Vectra and Clarkson says in it that the only four door saloons that you can buy which are faster are Bentleys, Mazaratti's and Meybach's. All cost between 20k and 25k in England at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pippip wrote: »

535d
    €750 tax per annum
    26mpg city and close to 50 on motorway runs.
    300bhp and much more torque and that was before the remap :)
    Insurance was the same price as the 525d it replaced!

But, if you want average Irish car then, nothing beats the E90 onwards 320d.

Advertisement