Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa V Ireland, Third Test Build-up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

I can't understand Ross over Furlong. Marmion should have been stuck with. Ruddock is unlucky not to start. Otherwise fine.

Impact. Same thing with the Ryan/Dillane. Ryan would probably start ahead of Dillane due to experience but Dillane is so much more effective against tiring bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    If Reddan and Healy get on, will that mean everyone who was brought on tour will have got game time. That is fairly impressive.

Correct!

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I'd have faith in him. Maybe I'd rather he had a slightly more experienced midfield in front of him for his first test but he should do fine.

It's a nice surprise to see Healy there too. Hope he gets a few minutes.

SA will target him and righty so. How is he positional wise? Can SA kick to him all day long and we feel comfortable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Looks like everyone who went on tour will get to play, that'll probably go down pretty well in camp.

Would have gone for Furlong to start myself, the rest looks fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

andymx11 wrote: »
    SA will target him and righty so. How is he positional wise? Can SA kick to him all day long and we feel comfortable ?

Positioning and catching high balls are very good- question marks over his tackling at times though

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Positioning and catching high balls are very good- question marks over his tackling at times though

Ah sure SA won't have the ball. Be grand..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

andymx11 wrote: »
    Well he's not a positional liability by any means. I don't think i've seen him be targeted (or if he was he handled it just fine). Now maybe at international level it could look differently but i'm glad he's getting a shot.

Also i wonder was it more of a case of Ross over Kilcoyne rather than Ross over Furlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Will be interesting to see how TOH deals with the step up, hopefully he's to the manor born. I'm looking forward to seeing Olding and Marshall together. Strong team hopefully they aren't out of gas at this stage.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jackson - Olding - Marshall is an exciting trio. They will give the boks food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

wp_rathead wrote: »

Generally on the back foot though as a FB there so wouldn't be too worried about that even if he did miss one or two. Really interested to see how he does.

I like the 23 all things considered. We actually have a bit of impact off the bench despite all the guys we're missing. That's massive IMO. Some slight issues with the outside backs and their replacements but that's it really. I reckon Boks are still favourites but we can have a real crack at them with that squad.

Worst comes to worst we lose the series having won our first ever game on SA soil despite missing several really key players. A few lads have stepped up. We've proven options in the centre now which frees up Payne to move back to 15. Jackson has been excellent and a few guys who were questioned before the tour (namely Murphy and Roux) put in really good performances. There's a lot to be positive about regardless of the outcome this weekend.

Which will just make the series win all the sweeter..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Once Payne was ruled out the team picked itself really.

The only calls left to make were Reddan v Marmion and Healy v Gilroy, and chances are they won't matter in the big scheme of things.

COME ON IRELAND

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

molloyjh wrote: »
    I like the 23 all things considered. We actually have a bit of impact off the bench despite all the guys we're missing. That's massive IMO. Some slight issues with the outside backs and their replacements but that's it really.

Worst comes to worst we lose the series having won our first ever game on SA soil despite missing several really key players. A few lads have stepped up. We've proven options in the centre now which frees up Payne to move back to 15. Jackson has been excellent and a few guys who were questioned before the tour (namely Murphy and Roux) put in really good performances. There's a lot to be positive about regardless of the outcome this weekend.

My only worry is the centres and how they're covered. We don't really have any way to secure it if olding marshall isn't working out. Maybe they'll be terrific and i'm worried about nothing.

And you're right. I think coming into this series if you offered me a first win and some new combinations used i'd have been happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Very annoyed that cronin isn't on the bench. Happy with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

blackdog1 wrote: »

He is on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Cronin is on the bench, look again...

Cronin is on the bench, look again...

He means James..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Ah he is on the bench!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    My only worry is the centres and how they're covered. We don't really have any way to secure it if olding marshall isn't working out. Maybe they'll be terrific and i'm worried about nothing.

And you're right. I think coming into this series if you offered me a first win and some new combinations used i'd have been happy.

Earls could always go 13 and meltdown boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Henshaw and Payne are big losses, but I'm really excited about this. I have faith in TOH, and am really looking forward to seeing Marshall and Olding partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I hope CJ is MOTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I hope CJ is MOTM

Not an impossibility. He is quite fond of getting things handed to him with a handshake after games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'm happy with that team.
    Will be interesting to see if Heaslip will go another 80. (All signs are that he will...I don't think the English language has enough superlatives to do justice to his relentless performances. And to remain as injury free as he has managed to do in itself is super-human.)

Will Dillane get 30 mins this time? I'd love if he did. Ruddock too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Very happy to see Schmidt using his squad to its fullest during the tour. Its a very green backline, and the backline subs don't inspire much confidence, but hopefully we'll see another strong winning performance.

Hopefully we'll be a little quicker/better with the usage of the bench this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We'll miss Payne but it is great that TOH gets a chance. If he gets a bit of space he could cause SA problems. They won't know a lot about him.

I hope it's a dry day because that midfield and TOH are all classy footballers. Hopefully they stand up physically.

I like the pack although I'd probably have stuck with Furlong. Still he can make an impact with 30 left on the clock.

I'm not sure we'll win but this tour has already been very worthwhile IMO with the emergence of new players and of course a great win against the odds. Hopefully we can add TOH to the list of successes on Sat.

Just a shame the game clashes with NI v Wales in the Euros!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

bilston wrote: »
    Just a shame the game clashes with NI v Wales in the Euros!

was in power city earlier and saw four people buying brand new tv's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

neither lineup is strong. both teams should be vexed if they lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If going by form, Healy was the form winger in the country in the Pro 12 coming into the end of the competition.
    I really think he can make an impact, especially if he can link up with TOH for an offload or two.
    This selection is a breath of fresh air that we needed.
    Also it's fair to Reddan to give him a run, he might only get a few minutes at the end anyway, but at least everyone taken on tour will have been involved.
    Really looking forward to the midfield, they could be very creative.

I'd like Ireland to continue to blood one or two players in every match for the next year or so.
    I think Adeolokun is worth trying out in the Autumn, and perhaps Andrew Conway also, and definitely Ringrose.

New Zealand and Australia seem to me to be very good at blooding players, they don't worry about throwing a guy in if he's good enough for his club.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

neither lineup is strong. both teams should be vexed if they lose.

After your NH bashing at the start of the series' you're starting to cover your bases well now, I'll give you that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Decent selection. Happy everyone gets a shot and if we lose so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Decent selection. Happy everyone gets a shot and if we lose so be it.

Can we just close this site now, and let this be the last ever post Boards.ie :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement