Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa V Ireland, Third Test Build-up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think it's very unlikely that Ryan will feature in any capacity this weekend so the whole argument is a bit redundant. He was coming from pretty far back and didn't stake any sort of a claim in the last game, despite getting 30 minutes to do so.
    I agree with that point.
    Did you think Roux made enough of an impact to warrant a start or a bench spot?
    Roux as lock and Henderson at blind side worked well I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I agree with that point.

Not really. Beyond being a big lump behind Furlong, I'm not sure what he brought to the table. I reckon Ross will come back in which means no real need for Roux.

I think Stander will definitely come back in at 6, which moves Henderson to 5, and Dillane will bench.

I agree with that point.

Not really. Beyond being a big lump behind Furlong, I'm not sure what he brought to the table. I reckon Ross will come back in which means no real need for Roux.

I think Stander will definitely come back in at 6, which moves Henderson to 5, and Dillane will bench.
    I'd agree that's the likely solution.
    The only way Ryan could get on the bench ahead of Dillane is if the coach wants an experienced lineout caller on the bench for the final test, as clearly Dillane has the edge in terms of dynamism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Wouldn't have an issue with Roux in 23, but would prefer Toner and Dillane with Iain to replace Dillane

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Wouldn't have an issue with Roux in 23, but would prefer Toner and Dillane with Iain to replace Dillane

Iain has put in some serious work so far, as has Toner.
    If they can last another 70 and 80 minutes each respectively for a third test with that level of intensity I think they must be phenomenal athletes.

• Advertisement

Iain has put in some serious work so far, as has Toner.
    If they can last another 70 and 80 minutes each respectively for a third test with that level of intensity I think they must be phenomenal athletes.

Well like I said, I would have Henderson on bench to bring On for last 20/30 mins
    You're right that Toner has played two intense 80mins - maybe start Dillane and Roux, they've partnered each other successfully at club level..

Rumour that Payne out:?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Sat out training with cramp. If he's out then Olding and Marshall in the centre with TOH at 15.
    Somewhere in the world Paddy Wallaces phone is ringing........

Irish Independent state him as a doubt.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/andrew-trimble-urges-ireland-to-refocus-ahead-of-series-decider-in-south-africa-34823621.html
    "[font=Georgia, serif]Jared Payne is understood to be a doubt for the decider."[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That would be a massive loss. I wouldn't hold out much hope without him whether he is at 15 or 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jared Payne confirmed to be available

.... For Tommy O'Donnell's wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Irish Independent state him as a doubt.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/andrew-trimble-urges-ireland-to-refocus-ahead-of-series-decider-in-south-africa-34823621.html
    "[font=Georgia, serif]Jared Payne is understood to be a doubt for the decider."[/font]
    I really don't want to hear this, but as it is the Indo, I won't panic yet.

So it's all an act because Payne is mad for the sesh? Makes sense.

Actually, poor Tommy.

Imagine watching Jordi Murphy and then Rhys Ruddock have absolute stormers in the 7 jersey against the Boks while you're at home poring over the seating plan for the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Actually, poor Tommy.

Imagine watching Jordi Murphy and then Rhys Ruddock have absolute stormers in the 7 jersey against the Boks while you're at home poring over the seating plan for the wedding.

Toner is getting married in 2 weeks. Proper rugby player. Has his priorities right.

Actually, poor Tommy.

To be fair it was really poor planning on his part. I assume there are extenuating circumstances, but presumably the dates of this tour have been know for a while, or at least the approximate dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bilston wrote: »
    To be fair it was really poor planning on his part. I assume there are extenuating circumstances, but presumably the dates of this tour have been know for a while, or at least the approximate dates.

I've said this before but you never know what the reasons are for these thing's, could be a perfectly legitimate personal reason that it couldn't be later.

I've said this before but you never know what the reasons are for these thing's, could be a perfectly legitimate personal reason that it couldn't be later.

Didn't want Joe to ruin his confidence again right before the wedding.

Yeah fair enough, you have to assume that's the case and hopefully it isn't anything negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Without the inevitable effect of playing at altitude, I don't see many reasons why we can't take this game and series.

I'm looking forward to this one more than most summer tour finales, partly because the result is still in the balance, but also because SA will have learned lots about what their best 15/23 are, and so have we. It should be a cracker - and it's absolutely there for us to win, and win without squeaky bum time. When they've not been wrecked, our pack has done a number on SA twice now and can do so again.

SA will be better than they've been so far though, so we need to be as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

http://the42.ie/2840127

Good analysis in quinn "big lump behind furlong" roux and his impact on last Saturday's game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    http://the42.ie/2840127

Good analysis in quinn "big lump behind furlong" roux and his impact on last Saturday's game

Most effective and prolific ruck player and only on the pitch for 51 minutes! Might earn him a spot on Sat. Toner/Roux with Henderson at 6, Stander and Dillane to come on and tear it up in the second half... ;)

So looks like Payne will stay at FB, Olding at centre and otherwise it's back to the team from the first test. According to Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

So looks like Payne will stay at FB, Olding at centre and otherwise it's back to the team from the first test. According to Gerry.

Gerry hasn't been as accurate as he used to be of late. However, if so, that's a fairly daring selection by Schmidt's standards. Or he simply doesn't trust O'Halloran.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Gerry hasn't been as accurate as he used to be of late. However, if so, that's a fairly daring selection by Schmidt's standards. Or he simply doesn't trust O'Halloran.

what is the rumoured team?

I'd have said putting TOH straight in at FB, effectively for his debut, would be the more daring pick.

Trusting TOH? l don't know but it was clear before today that he trusts Olding more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Zzippy wrote: »
    Most effective and prolific ruck player and only on the pitch for 51 minutes! Might earn him a spot on Sat. Toner/Roux with Henderson at 6, Stander and Dillane to come on and tear it up in the second half... ;)

You could be on to something there. although maybe swap Stander and Henderson. Stander's had the week off now so he'll be nice and rested. Henderson's after getting through a lot of work in the first two.

Adbrowne wrote: »

what is the rumoured team?

Based on what FT has said

Payne
    Trimble
    Marshall
    Olding
    Earls
    Jackson
    Murray
    McGrath
    Best
    Ross
    Toner
    Henderson
    Stander
    Murphy
    Heaslip

Again its bizarre the Healy is not even in the debate anymore and its completely correct. He was the best prop in NH in 2013. Props are supposed to hit the heights of their career with age.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That backline looks OK in theory but its essentially the fourth place backline in the pro 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Based on what FT has said

Payne
    Trimble
    Marshall
    Olding
    Earls
    Jackson
    Murray
    McGrath
    Best
    Ross
    Toner
    Henderson
    Stander
    Murphy
    Heaslip

I'd swap the centres around personally. Marshall did very well at 12 in the first test and Olding could probably use the extra space and time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement