Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa V Ireland, Third Test Build-up Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Again its bizarre the Healy is not even in the debate anymore and its completely correct. He was the best prop in NH in 2013. Props are supposed to hit the heights of their career with age.

He and Corbisiero are in the same boat. Was Healy flogged or just unlucky with injury?
    I can't help feeling McGrath won't have a long career the way he's going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Again its bizarre the Healy is not even in the debate anymore and its completely correct. He was the best prop in NH in 2013. Props are supposed to hit the heights of their career with age.

??? Did you mean to post this in a different thread?

Healy is injured.

??? Did you mean to post this in a different thread?

Healy is injured.

Didn't realise that. I thought he'd fallen completely out of favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That backline looks OK in theory but its essentially the fourth place backline in the pro 12.

That's not really relevant given Ulster's problems have been in the pack not the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    bilston wrote: »
    Based on what FT has said

Payne
    Trimble
    Marshall
    Olding
    Earls
    Jackson
    Murray
    McGrath
    Best
    Ross
    Toner
    Henderson
    Stander
    Murphy
    Heaslip

I'd swap the centres around personally. Marshall did very well at 12 in the first test and Olding could probably use the extra space and time.

I'd love to see Olding at 13, but I don't see it happening this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

bilston wrote: »
    I'd love to see Olding at 13, but I don't see it happening this weekend.

An Olding - Marshall midfield gives us tons of options outside PJ, especially if Payne plays at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

PJ, Olding and Marshall have got good kicking ability, perhaps better than any centre combination I can remember for Ireland,
    Hopefully whichever plays at 12 or 13, we shall see some creativity in the midfield, and they should have a great understanding with Payne in terms of timing runs.
    Very similar to the Sexton, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Kearney axis, in terms of understanding and communicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Payne sat out training this morning. ****edyF*ckFu*k.

andymx11 wrote: »
    Payne sat out training this morning. ****edyF*ckFu*k.

I think he is out of the third test, just reading between the lines. Would be disappointed if TOH doesnt get the start

Adbrowne wrote: »
    I think he is out of the third test, just reading between the lines. Would be disappointed if TOH doesnt get the start

Yea I would assume so too. Yea hopefully TOH gets his chance I'd be very surprised if he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Adbrowne wrote: »

Well the only way he doesn't is if Earls is played somewhere he shouldn't be. Olding Marshal TOH to 12,13 and 15 is definitely the simplest solution.

It's unfortunate that Healy won't see any game time but Gilroy hasn't done a whole pile wrong to justify swapping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Whitely and Combrinck start for the Boks. Kriel and Kitshoff are uncapped on the bench.

CloZCHTWQAA3-t7.jpg

has anyone heard a time for the team announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    has anyone heard a time for the team announcement?

Around Lunch time would be my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

CloZCHTWQAA3-t7.jpg

Surprised to see Le Roux there.
    He came good towards the end of the game last week but only after we had reached wet-cardboard status.
    I think he's a major weak link for them.

b.gud wrote: »
    Around Lunch time would be my guess

i get to spend an hour refreshing the twitter page so.

Reddan will be retiring from rugby after this weekend. For all the griping about him, he was a consummate professional and a deserving international. Nice to see a player able to go out on their own terms.

Reddan will be retiring from rugby after this weekend. For all the griping about him, he was a consummate professional and a deserving international. Nice to see a player able to go out on their own terms.

Will this help this chances to sneak onto the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

andymx11 wrote: »
    Will this help this chances to sneak onto the bench?

I hope not tbh.

• Advertisement

I hope not tbh.

Me too, however even before this announcement I had a feeling he would make the bench.

Payne out, O'Halloran in, Marshall and Olding in the centres, Reddan and Healy (!!!) on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Payne out TOH starts. Healy benches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Matt 'F***ING' Healy

Cloq32pXIAAdBCx.jpg

TOH is a relative unknown to me. I think we're really gonna miss Payne.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I can't understand Ross over Furlong. Marmion should have been stuck with. Ruddock is unlucky not to start. Otherwise fine.

Strong side, like the bench, especially in the forwards. Serious impact there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

If Reddan and Healy get on, will that mean everyone who was brought on tour will have got game time. That is fairly impressive.

• Advertisement

TOH is a relative unknown to me. I think we're really gonna miss Payne.

I'd have faith in him. Maybe I'd rather he had a slightly more experienced midfield in front of him for his first test but he should do fine.

It's a nice surprise to see Healy there too. Hope he gets a few minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement