Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa v Ireland, Second Test. Match Thread

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

what we see on the sa tour is an unwillingness to change a team which leaves us a total puzzle for last test.

Yeah. How Joe went with the same 23 for the 1st and 2nd tests is really puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

They are all clearly third rate. No right to be given a chance to help the team. They are back up. To be used if those ahead of them are injured.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Yeah. How Joe went with the same 23 for the 1st and 2nd tests is really puzzling.

he changed the team when it mattered? difference between a 1-15 and a 1-23

what is the point of 'impact' subs if you believe they have no impact. then they are simply useless .

Who said they were 'impact' subs ?

Team announcement describes them simply as 'Replacements'.

Who said they were 'impact' subs ?

Team announcement describes them simply as 'Replacements'.

maybe we should just have brought 15 players to SA. would have saved on expenses. that is 15 players per game, no need for any more

• Advertisement

maybe we should just have brought 15 players to SA. would have saved on expenses

In some games, players get injured (I have seen this happen in several games myself), and so unlike years ago, it is considered better to bring on a replacement and continue to play the game with teams of 15.
    The IRFU rightly considers it better to bring replacement despite the cost involved, as it improves the team's chances of winning.

In some games, player get injured (I have seen this happen in several I have myself), and so unlike years ago, it is considered better to bring on a replacement and continue to play the game with teams of 15.
    The IRFU rightly considers it better to bring replacement despite the cost involved, as it improves the teams chances of winning.

I appreciate your cynicism.it takes all types, even me :-)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

If Ireland had won on saturday we would have moved up to fifth possibly. Its quite sad to see the french in 9th place.

13502074_10153754470657339_1570266178196914340_n.jpg?oh=47c77b68a02e042a481cc83b5021d5a2&oe=57D1F423

• Registered Users Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

When was the last time NZ weren't the no.1 team?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

When was the last time NZ weren't the no.1 team?

Had to check, thought it might have been 2012, but actually it's since 2009 !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd be interested to see how England would get on against NZ at the moment. Right now they are the only team I can see challenging NZ over the next 3 years.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see how England would get on against NZ at the moment. Right now they are the only team I can see challenging NZ over the next 3 years.

They'd be beaten.

New Zealand have a scrum, a back row and a set of halfbacks who can play a bit of rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm in a South African fans FB page and they've been calling for him from the start. The lads down the pub were very impressed when I was able to identify Combrinck coming on as a potential game changer!

I hope you milked it and are now getting free pints in return for betting tips ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

In NZ, NZ. In Twickenham, it could be close.

In saying that, if England gave NZ 70% territory and possession, I'd be happy enough that we'd score more than 7 points over 80 minutes.

NZ's big issues currently is midfield - trying to replace NZ's greatest combination of all time. That will take a while to sort out.

England have a pack that could cause NZ some problems, still think their back row (despite the defensive heroics in the weekend) is a bit slowish.

The English always make good rivals: the minute they have a hint of form or success, the hype train takes off. They always back themselves. None of this Celtic self-doubt jazz that plagues Ire/Wal/Scot.

Full match available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »

They'd be beaten.

New Zealand have a scrum, a back row and a set of halfbacks who can play a bit of rugby.

The English tight 5 is pretty damn formidable at the moment and while I rate NZ's back row over England's, the English back row is doing very well. NZ are miles ahead behind the scrum although love him or hate him Farrell is playing very well at the minute.

can you explain that? we saw the most exciting team ever in pro12, far better than champions cup teams. can joe not work with it rather than against it. murray is your dependable international scrum half. and yet marmion and toh have been the proven article. I enjoy the way payne makes a pass and folks are in awe, toh hands are sensational and way better than payne, that murray is the only choice when marmion is so many times better. but if you refuse to change, well you have a point.

can you explain that? we saw the most exciting team ever in pro12, far better than champions cup teams. can joe not work with it rather than against it. murray is your dependable international scrum half. and yet marmion and toh have been the proven article. I enjoy the way payne makes a pass and folks are in awe, toh hands are sensational and way better than payne, that murray is the only choice when marmion is so many times better. but if you refuse to change, well you have a point.

connacht can challenge NZ? is that your claim?

oh heavens. read what I said and agree or disagree. no Connacht. just fact

Adbrowne wrote: »
    connacht can challenge NZ? is that your claim?

Thats a rather odd way to put it. The pertinent question these days is could NZ challenge Connacht.

I have heard nothing but silence from NZ lately on the topic. Which says it all I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You do realise there are levels?

Pro12, Former Heneken Cup, then internationals?

Performing at level three does not equate to performing at level one.

oh heavens. read what I said and agree or disagree. no Connacht. just fact

What fact though? All i see is your rambling opinions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The post was about England and NZ, nothing to do with Ireland, Joe Schmidt or Connacht. This is your final warning, we've had enough of the repetitive moaning about JS and how Ireland plays, you're trying to change the topic of every thread to what you want to moan about. Don't post in this thread again, and don't repeat this BS again on other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

what we see on the sa tour is an unwillingness to change a team which leaves us a total puzzle for last test.

The 15 and 23 for that matter was not the same for the 2nd test.
    Furthermore the 15 selected were very exciting, and the bench selected although not our strongest was actually fine imo.
    The disappointing part was not seeing the backs come on early enough, but there's no guarantee that that would have changed anything.
    All we can say is they lost due to exhaustion in the last 30 minutes, and that perhaps some fresh legs at that time may have improved our defence. Marmion and O'Halloran in particular have been outstanding for connacht this season, so who knows, perhaps if those subs had come on we would have seen O'Halloran barrel over the line instead of watching Combrinck do it.
    Anyway, onwards and upwards, really interested to see what way the next selection will go.

Will be interesting to see how the team changes for the final test. Will Healy or Reddan feature in the match day 23? Will Marmion and Madigan form the initial partnership to allow impact substitutions from Murray and Jackson. Who will form the centre partnership. If you put olding and marshall (which would be a reasonably fresh centre partnership) so do you put toh at fullback and have payne on the bench. Does toner need a break and should he be on the bench.

Looking back at the world cup it struck me that we had the weaker opposition to start and we simply played our best team from the start. So when it came to the crunch games the team was tired. The French game was really attritional which left us really stuffed when we got to the tougher games.

So we didn't learn from that. Hopefully we have learnt this time.
    We have a nice few players that got a rest from last week.
    Ross, Stander, Murphy, Earls, and Marshall should all start next week.

Question is can McGrath, Best, Toner, Henderson, Heaslip, Murray, Jackson, Trimble, Payne recover enough to win it next week against a resurgent Springbok team with something to prove?

Would expect team to be:
    McGrath, Best, Ross
    Toner, Henderson,
    Stander, Heaslip, Murphy
    Murray, Jackson
    Earls, Marshall, Payne, Trimble
    O'Halloran

Bealham, Cronin, Furlong
    Dillane,
    Ruddock,
    Marmion, Madigan, Gilroy/Olding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Haven't seen the match because I was at body & soul, and not too sure about reading through 52 pages for what looked like a sickening result... :(

How did we get on without Ross? And the international rookies like Roux, Reidy, Olding, Gilroy, O'Halloran: how did they do?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Haven't seen the match because I was at body & soul, and not too sure about reading through 52 pages for what looked like a sickening result... :(

How did we get on without Ross? And the international rookies like Roux, Reidy, Olding, Gilroy, O'Halloran: how did they do?

Scrum was good, and Furlong was very good.
    Perhaps the weight behind him with Roux and Henderson may have helped him.
    Roux put some good pressure on the lineouts but came off very early at 50 mins so hard to tell if he's fit.
    Olding was solid but didn't do anything special.
    Same for Gilroy.
    O'Halloran barely got on for the last few minutes, don't think he touched the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KeithWoodshead

Rightwing wrote: »
    I didn't bet the last day, but I felt we'd stay within the 10. But I would say the boks are value @ -9 next week.

So did you have a few hundred on this too? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::o:o

Advertisement