Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa v Ireland, Second Test. Match Thread

Options
  • 17-06-2016 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Ellis Park, Johannesburg. Kick off at 4PM BST. Live on Sky Sports 1HD from 3:30PM and live radio commentary on RTE 1.
    SARU_-_square.jpgirfu-300x300.jpg

image.jpg

Intro.

Last week. WTF. I'm still in shock after it.

No way were we gonna win. No way were we to come close. And even with a bright start, no way after a red card. Yet, somehow we did and even after gifting them a soft try there was only one team in control. Now, some credence can be given to the notion that the Boks weren't at their best; still it doesn't allow for the fact that Ireland were plain better and coached by Joe Schmidt. A better home performance has to be on the way and it makes this second test all the more interesting.

The teams.
    ClEpdKpUoAAokwy.jpg

ClElmaeUgAAxMAu.jpg:large

Both teams had to allow for one forced change to their starting 15 but other changes have been made as well, some of which will see a few of the younger players come in. The suspended CJ Stander is replaced at blindside by Ian Henderson (below), who's second row shirt is filled by debutant homeboy Quinn Roux. Making his deserved first test start, Tadhg Furlong comes in at tighthead for Mike Ross in the other change to the forward line.
    pho_00975669_2.jpg
    Behind the pack, Stuart Olding gets a chance in the centre while Craig Gilroy lines out on the wing alongside teammates Jared Payne and Andrew Trimble. Sub wise, Dave Kilcoyne, Donncha Ryan and Strauss make the bench as does the uncapped Ulster flanker Sean Reidy; League championship winning Tiernan O'Halloran stands to earn his first cap as well.

By contrast, the visitors see just two enforced call ups, with fly-half Elton Jantjies (below) and second row Pieter-Steph du Toit completing an otherwise unchanged 15. Sub wise, Franco Mostert and Ruan Combrinck could make their Test debut at their home ground while veteran Morne Steyn covers EJ.
    Ma+Nonu+Elton+Jantjies+Barbarians+v+South+UxG59hvYhYyl.jpg
    Analysis The fact that the game is to be played in the infamous rarified air of Ellis Park should theoretically go with more aerobic players and a more open faster game than that of last week. The changes made by Ireland, CJ excepted, are part playing to the theory of the fitter man belonging in Jo'burg but equally they owe to better coaching on the Irish side. The defence was masterfully brave but let's be honest; the attack was not up to Bok par and thus it was an easier job for Ireland. Two changes infer that the hosts consider last week to have been a blip; can they play any worse for a second test?

Verdict. Ireland were the better team last week, no arguments about that. South Africa were definitely the worse and can play a lot better but here's the exciting bit; Ireland can play better as well, a lot better. Many of the Irish players last week were playing for places and this week is no exception. With a slightly fresher team out this time round again I feel for an away win, 28-21 and for a rendition of this after Sue the Pig is found to have come from Westport to the delight of the new sponsors :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Very nice Losty. I was beginning to think there would be no match preview...

The difference between infer & imply - almost as hard to call as the result of the match...I'll go Ireland with a bright start and a match-winning defensive play from Gilroy to sneak the win, and I reckon it's imply in this case...

Cheers again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Thanks for a great report Losty. I think it'll be a low scoring game. Irish defence will have had another week under Farrell's tutelage and SA will be determined not to leak points.

Still, it's not beyond this team to deliver another outstanding result and stitch up the series. Ireland by less than seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Think it'll come down to a Steyn drop-goal attempt to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Thanks losty. Good work.
    Ireland to defend stoutly for the first 20. 6-6 at half time.
    Ireland to eventually succumb to altitude and Bok pressure to lose by 4-5 points.

And still no fodder provided by Joe for the naysayers!

(Amazing how quiet it's been here this week...silence speaks volumes!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

kuang1 wrote: »
    Thanks losty. Good work.
    Ireland to eventually succumb to altitude and Bok pressure to lose by 4-5 points.

And still no fodder provided by Joe for the naysayers!

(Amazing how quiet it's been here this week...silence speaks volumes!!!)

To be fair there were very few people "naysaying" him for the sake of it, some people (myself included about some selections) had legitimate grievances over the year (ya there were some people with seemingly odd vendettas against Joe I'll give you)
    He picked an exciting team last week, won a nailbiter and named a different but equally exciting team this week - sure what would we complain about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

wp_rathead wrote: »
    To be fair there were very few people "naysaying" him for the sake of it, some people (myself included about some selections) had legitimate grievances over the year (ya there were some people with seemingly odd vendettas against Joe I'll give you)
    He picked an exciting team last week, won a nailbiter and named a different but equally exciting team this week - sure what would we complain about :)

I have a complaint!
    I'm going to be made watch the soccer match before the rugby today!!!!(and not even in a pub!)

Good luck to the soccer boyz and all that, but jaysus 4.00 is going to be even longer coming around now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

As great as the win was, I don't expect us to play South Africa to play as badly again.

Hopefully we learn a lot but I'd go with SA by 5-10 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We may have broken a historic scud last week, but I'm of the opinion that you really need to beat the scud twice to truly overcome it mentally. Last week it was the pressure of never having beaten SA in SA. This week its the knowledge that lightning may never strike twice.

Still, we have a truly exciting new XV to start, and as I said elsewhere, the performance interests me much more than the result.

SA by 10, but Olding to become the Greatest Irishman who Ever Lived

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

kuang1 wrote: »
    I'd have to concur.

If it goes any other way, Faf De Klerk is going to run and tell his mammy how unfair it all is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

Really hard to call, head says SA heart as always says Ireland and it's not a bad team despite the number of changes but I'm expecting a backlash and think we'll find the higher altitude a but more difficult to cope with than SA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm actually very confident about this game, but too superstitious to say why :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

soccer not going great. after a great start against Sweden. anyway its now RUGBY TIME :-). Go Ireland. So excited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

soccer not going great. after a great start against Sweden. anyway its now RUGBY TIME :-). Go Ireland. So excited

Think I switched on to it by mistake. Odd looking and low scoring game. Ireland being beaten by single penalty. Very odd shaped ball - looks to be spherical. Not sure how you could play with a ball like that. Think I saw why Ireland are loosing too - handling is dreadful. They only seem to have one guy who can catch a ball at all - and even he is fumbling it a good bit.

Anyway. On with the real sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

5,000 feet is quite mad when you think of it. That's 1,000 feet higher than anywhere on the island of Ireland.

We are heavier.

We are more experienced.

We are better coached.

We are more skillful.

We have Iain Henderson.

COME ON IRELAND!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ireland have NEVER lost a test in South Africa when leading a series. So it's pretty much in the bag.

Do black South Africans actually like that Zulu warrior thing, or is it akin to Leprechauns with the Irish?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Need comments and scores on a regular basis if someone would oblige

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Some set

Anthems much better this week.

I got ya.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Do black South Africans actually like that Zulu warrior thing, or is it akin to Leprechauns with the Irish?

Could xhosa few problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

The singer has some set of knockers

• Administrators Posts: 53,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is one of the better Irelands calls. Bring this woman to Lansdowne.

3 mins to kick off, still 0-0.

Ack, they ruined it. Taxi for sunglasses chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

awec wrote: »

Glad we got her and not the creep singing the SA anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

awec wrote: »

Got a bit too Celine Dion at the end for me, but anything is better than the Guards' band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Ack, they ruined it. Taxi for sunglasses chap.

He's visually impaired!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Is the ref still in secondary school?

• Advertisement

"The Boks look much bigger, man for man"- Robson

ClPdhIHXEAA32x1.jpg

Advertisement