Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The more I hear of this game the more I think it's going to be just sublime.
    I predict games of the year accolades, this is a system seller

• Registered Users Posts: 16,403 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Aonuma on Zelda: Breath of the Wild – physics engine, Monolith Soft’s role, more

Once again, another Zelda: Breath of the Wild-focused interview with series producer Eiji Aonuma is online. Gamekult was able to ask the developer about various topics, ranging from the physics engine to Monolith Soft’s role.

We have a summary after the break. However, we’ll also be looking to eventually provide a native translation of the interview, since some parts of the discussion just aren’t clear without knowledge of French.

– You can get lost in the original Zelda, and Breath of the Wild is somewhat like that
    – Aonuma says you can get lost by not knowing where to go or visiting places out of curiosity
    – That curiosity is what sparked the idea of exploring and climbing in Breath of the Wild
    – Aonuma doesn’t want to make things too complex, but believes that the different systems in the game (like equipment) will be easier to understand when playing
    – Physics engine took so much time since changing just one aspect can affect everything else, since the engine handles different aspects of the game world
    – Companies outside of Nintendo helped out with playtesting
    – Nintendo staffers working on different projects also tried out the game
    – A PC tool was created for playtesting which tracks the paths players take
    – Aonuma likes the idea of a multiplayer mode / feature where players communicate with each other when visiting a certain place
    – Monolith Soft helped Skyward Sword with design graphics / artistic elements
    – Nintendo and Monolith have different approaches to games
    – On Breath of the Wild, the team was helped by level designers on topographic amenities
    – Twilight Princess was more difficult to manage than Breath of the Wild for two platforms since he had less experience at the time
    – For this game, he was able to better prepare to ensure that the experience would be the same on Switch and Wii U
    – When Aonuma starts thinking about new ideas, he thinks they could work with Zelda, and always comes back to the series
    – This prevents him from working on titles other than Zelda
    – Implementing cooking was a logical choice since you pick up ingredients in the world, and the team thought it’d be interesting to mix them for effects
    – Exploring by climbing everywhere, living in harmony with the world around us and protecting something or someone to accomplish a mission make up the essence of Breath of the Wild

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-on-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-physics-engine-monolith-softs-role-more/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

The more i read about breath of the wild and the immense world and things to do and discover, im considering buying a game guide for it in case i get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The more i read about breath of the wild and the immense world and things to do and discover, im considering buying a game guide for it in case i get lost.

I absolutely won't. I want to explore, to get lost and find my way, find new places, new things. I don't want to be told where to go or when, and it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to about this one compared to previous games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I don't think I've ever been this excited for a new game. I think I've watched all the gameplay videos on YouTube!

What are amazon like for delivering preordered games? I've never preordered a game before, do amazon ship them on release day or do they ship them beforehand so that they arrive on release day? The weekend after the 3rd is going to be hell if it's the former :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

As long as it doesnt have

"Hey, LISTEN"

repeated a billion times, I will be happy to roam hyrule field freely forever...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just took a look at my order on Amazon and clicked on the Wii U version of the game I ordered to see if the price has gone down. Looks like they must've stopped preorders as it's now saying it's Currently Unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Xofpod

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just took a look at my order on Amazon and clicked on the Wii U version of the game I ordered to see if the price has gone down. Looks like they must've stopped preorders as it's now saying it's Currently Unavailable.

Yep, made the mistake of waiting for payday and now it's no longer available. Any suggestions for other reliable on-line sources for preorder?

I haven't paid much attention really to the boxart of this game. Until now. The European Switch version isn't very nice. The American boxart is nicer.
    lets-compare-and-contrast-the-us-and-european-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-box-art-148430788189.jpg

148430785862.jpg

Then there's the Wii U version. I don't know if that is its final cover. It's been a placeholder for a long time. It doesn't have an official cover yet.
    ZELDA-WII_20U_original.jpg

It'll likely go with the European Switch cover.

Then last week I was reading how in Germany the USK sticker forced the game's logo from the centre out to the side. But won't that be on the Special Edition of the game here? I'm fairly sure it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,592 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I love them all, and just really want to get going towards that volcano.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The European one looks like he's sticking his ass out for a mirror selfie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Or like he's trying to tap into some of that Tyrion Lannister mojo that the ladies go for.
    "I drink, I know things and I really hate pots" </awfulfakeenglishaccent>

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Read about those covers before, with the European they're going more for an exploration/adventure vibe, whereas with the American one, they're going for a fighting/ready for battle type thing. I prefer the European one, despite the strange stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Breath of the Wild is rated for 'Violence' and 'Sexual content' in Japan.

It's the first Zelda game to be rated for sexual content. Probably just swimming cut scenes or something like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

<black screen>
    <strobed elfin stripper Silhouette>
    Zelda.
    Gets.
    WILD.!
    <Fade to black>
    <Fade in: >
    <Note to art dept : Both 3's are overhead views of boobs>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Has the Wii U version sold out everywhere?
    Cant seem to find it online.

Has the Wii U version sold out everywhere?
    Cant seem to find it online.

There's Smyths but they're thieves.

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-tablets/c-743/nintendo-wii-wii-u/p-18728/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wii-u/

They're charging €65. My Amazon order is working out at €45 with free delivery.

Edit: There's Base, it will cost <€55 delivered.

http://www.base.com/buy/product/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wii-u/dgc-zeldawiiu.htm

Gameseek is cheaper. <€50 delivered.

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/VideoGamesgbut1ecq5a/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

sligeach wrote: »
    There's Smyths but they're thieves.

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-tablets/c-743/nintendo-wii-wii-u/p-18728/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wii-u/

They're charging €65. My Amazon order is working out at €45 with free delivery.

Edit: There's Base, it will cost <€55 delivered.

http://www.base.com/buy/product/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wii-u/dgc-zeldawiiu.htm

Gameseek is cheaper. <€50 delivered.

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/VideoGamesgbut1ecq5a/

If you order from those sites you won't get it for a few days after launch though right?

kingtut wrote: »
    If you order from those sites you won't get it for a few days after launch though right?

Yes. You'll have to wait a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Yes. You'll have to wait a few days.

THanks, might just pay full whack in order to get it on the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Tesco UK have it for £40

Could be worth a go on launch day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know I won;t get it at launch, but may just keep it until St Patrick's weekend a couple weeks later anyway.

16300314_1296004090460718_8912406077619631631_o.jpg?oh=dc15ca17816562ea9025164a198519fa&oe=591DA281

"This concept art might look familiar - this building was shown in the Life in the Ruins trailer released in December 2016."

https://www.facebook.com/LegendofZelda/photos/a.171885779539227.41729.170177419710063/1296004090460718/?type=3

Breath of The Wild is Beatable in 15 minutes! Interview with Miyamoto & Aonuma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n7vqDy6mqE

- you won't be able to 100% the game in less than 7 days
    - the game had a long development path
    - the devs tried to nurture the game as they went along
    - they started by creating a field with nothing in it, not even grass
    - the dev team would play it, go in and add more elements, play it again and so on
    - Miyamoto says Nintendo makes two types of games: games they know will be fun from the start of development, and games they don't know will be fun until they finish working on them
    - horses will run on their own and help in battles
    - the physics engine had to be tweaked on an item-by-item basis
    - the wind ended up blowing away in-game items that it shouldn't have, so they had to tweak that as well
    - the staff kept increasing all the time, starting with 30 and eventually getting to 300
    - Miyamoto became concerned what would happen if they didn't finish the game
    - the devs would develop the game to a certain point, then have the entire staff play it to make sure they were all up to speed
    - then the team could take on the next step of development
    - this took a long time, but was very necessary and important
    - the game has many different goals, all of varying sizes
    - the devs played through these goals to adjust the size of them as they played
    - Aonuma believes Breath of the Wild is a modern take on the freedom that you found in the original Legend of Zelda
    - because the world is so big, Nintendo wanted to give players proof that there were reasons to be in the game world and you weren't wasting your time
    - this lead to a lot of different types of content in the game
    - with sidequests, it's easy to keep track of what you're doing and what missions you've taken on
    - you can take on the final boss right from the start of the game
    - Aonuma believes this would be nearly impossible, and that you should grow Link's strength/abilities to help
    - you can increase Link's stamina and hearts

Nintendo Switch - UI and Loading Time for Zelda Breath of the Wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opr0SfrB4lI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Here's the wiiu loading times to compare. It's about twice as long as the switch version. It's not great but I can live with it.

https://youtu.be/6sg0JkSIyq8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Nice. Even though I'm getting the Wii U version because I've decided to get the Switch for Christmas, I'm glad to see the system taking advantage of the cartridge medium, I presume this is the main reason for the faster load times? I would hope the Switch has a faster processor etc too that should help, so far it doesn't seem to be massively different power-wise to the Wii U, so this is a good sign anyway, especially for playing on the go.

Link Nintendroid figure with accessories and horse. It looks really cool.

o0515054913857041719.jpg?caw=800

o0515074313857041643.jpg?caw=800

o0515032013857247039.jpg?caw=800

More images here:

http://ameblo.jp/gsc-mikatan/entry-12240907499.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xofpod wrote: »
    Yep, made the mistake of waiting for payday and now it's no longer available. Any suggestions for other reliable on-line sources for preorder?

I religiously buy from The Game Collection. Many times I've had games arrive to me a day early. (Metal Gear Solid V, NBA 2K16, Mafia III to name but a few).

I use Parcel Motel so it kinda falls on them for punctuality too.

If I've not gotten a game a day earlier, it is usually in my PM depot by no later than 6pm that evening. It'll be one hell of a refreshing job if I don't get it early doors on the 3rd of March. :pac:

I had a few discount points on my account so I managed to get it for €55 (inc. Parcel Motel delivery).

It's a little on the higher side in terms of online orders but they're usually one of the cheapest online retailers but I've found them to be an excellent and very reliable service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Link Nintendroid figure with accessories and horse. It looks really cool.

o0515054913857041719.jpg?caw=800

o0515074313857041643.jpg?caw=800

o0515032013857247039.jpg?caw=800

More images here:

http://ameblo.jp/gsc-mikatan/entry-12240907499.html

Prefer amiibo myself

Advertisement