Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Explode?

south-park-season-12-6-over-logging-randy-finds-the-internet-gross.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Explode?

south-park-season-12-6-over-logging-randy-finds-the-internet-gross.jpg

Well, the old Sligeach might, the new 2017 edition is much more forgiving of perceived lazy ports and cash ins by Nintendo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Been watching botw gameplay videos and trailers all afternoon, im so excited for it and where it fits in the timeline, i cant wait for march!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will there be much difference between wii u version and switch version?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Touch screen inventory management on Wii U, and map on there too.
    HD rumble on Switch, and it looks to run smoother, but that could just be from being a newer build. Faster loading times too. Not to mention being able to take it on the go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Here's the LoZ:BotW Limited edition on sale in Smyth's for €108.99
    It includes the game, the sword replica and the soundtrack on CD.

In comparison to other limited edition games, like CoD or Dishonored, it's price isn't by any means in the upper echelons, you look at the package, decide if it is worth it to you and pay appropriately.
    Basically, you'll be paying an extra €44 for the sword and CD, where Twilight Princess HD, including the CD and Amiibo came in around €80 initially, but then it was an Amiibo of €15 included with the game, worth around €65.
    The scale of the sword appears more substantial than an Amiibo, so perhaps the price is justified.
    Again, it's up to the individual
    You can see the Sword as a part of the US Master Edition here in the Treehouse presentation, at about 1:46:00, it's looks good.

It will be in its hat justified. You're I bet my life on it getting a crappy plastic sword a CD and they're charging an extra 60 on top. It's typical of collectors editions, i would wholly advise anyone to save their €60 and buy a decent sword replica not just a crappy yoke they throw in with these "special editions"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭jos22

In a statement provided to IGN, Nintendo explained the following “key facts” about each version:
    Both launch on the same day, March 3.
    Both have a frame rate of 30fps.
    Both versions of the game offer the same content.
    On a TV, the Nintendo Switch version of the game renders in 900p while the Wii U version renders in 720p.
    The Nintendo Switch version has higher-quality environmental sounds. As a result, the sound of steps, water, grass, etc. are more realistic and enhance the game’s Open-Air feel.
    The physical copy of the Wii U version will require 3GB of available memory on the Wii U system or an external drive.
    Some icons, such as onscreen buttons, differ between the two versions.
    A Special Edition and Master Edition of the Wii U version are not available

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/nintendo-explains-differences-between-switch-wii-u-versions-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It will be in its hat justified. You're I bet my life on it getting a crappy plastic sword a CD and they're charging an extra 60 on top. It's typical of collectors editions, i would wholly advise anyone to save their €60 and buy a decent sword replica not just a crappy yoke they throw in with these "special editions"

But that's the advice to give anyone who"invests" in a special or limited edition, and why I seldom buy them.
    You have to decide if they represent good value to you, the buyer.
    For some fanatics, this one surely will.
    And there will be those who won't get it and wish they did later on.
    And then there is myself, and yourself, who just wants to play the game and forget the plastic tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Im only buying it for the cardboard box. Have no interest in the extras.
    Am raging, the switch games aren't released in cardboard as a whole n

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

30fps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

keane2097 wrote: »
    30fps?

According to Digital Foundry, based on a brief hands-on, the Switch version holds its 30fps target far better than the Wii U version (however, their Wii U experience is based on the E3 build so it should be better at launch).

They're not going to gimp the Wii U version in order to promote sales of the Switch are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

They're not going to gimp the Wii U version in order to promote sales of the Switch are they?

Serious concern for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Serious concern for me.

If they wanted to do that, they would do what MS did with the original Titanfall and delay the Wii U version by a few months.

The fact that they are releasing them the same day says they are not anticipating a huge loss of sales from a Wii U version (there aren't that many Wii U's out there anyway!)

Little, teeny, tiny bit paranoid there... just a bit.... I can get you tablets for that.... it comes with a set of controllers on the side!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Inviere wrote: »
    30fps on the Switch? Tsk tsk

Surprised they haven't come up with an optional accessory that unlocks 60fps. :P

Seriously though, I think Digital Foundry mentioned some games will run 900p @ 60fps when docked, some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ Indeed. Resolution be damned, 1080p, 900p,720p, I really don't care....but 30fps is abysmal for a brand new release 2017 console.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - UK TV Ad (Nintendo Switch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3XmVt27RI4

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

Interesting painting placed to the left of the TV...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

looks like a classic nes on the right side of the table too in the zelda trailer and i assume that's the collectors edition sword below the tv

So, is the video giving us clues that LoZ:BotW is, in fact, the work of the Masons, Illuminatae or Lizard shape shifters.... or even Moblins?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I've come across a few articles with similar content from a few months ago. It's seems they have gimped the wii u version so that it will be the same as the switch version. They completely removed the function of the game pad. No map, inventory management etc. It'll only be used for off screen play

If go you back and look at the early footage of botw they showcase the map on the game pad and how useful it is.

I'm not very happy about this. They deliberately made the gaming experience worse so that it'll be the same as the switch version. Pathetic.

http://www.gamespresso.com/2016/06/legend-zelda-breath-wild-will-not-use-gamepad-features-due-game-distractions/

https://youtu.be/SECWlFInyFM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭jos22

I've come across a few articles with similar content from a few months ago. It's seems they have gimped the wii u version so that it will be the same as the switch version. They completely removed the function of the game pad. No map, inventory management etc. It'll only be used for off screen play

If go you back and look at the early footage of botw they showcase the map on the game pad and how useful it is.

I'm not very happy about this. They deliberately made the gaming experience worse so that it'll be the same as the switch version. Pathetic.

http://www.gamespresso.com/2016/06/legend-zelda-breath-wild-will-not-use-gamepad-features-due-game-distractions/

https://youtu.be/SECWlFInyFM

I didnt know that, I assumed that I would still be used for inventory and map screens, that made likes of windwaker so much better
    from the link

“We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing… You have your car’s GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!”

didnt seem to be an issue with both zelda HD masters, they also didnt think that was an issue with starfox

jos22 wrote: »
    I didnt know that, I assumed that I would still be used for inventory and map screens, that made likes of windwaker so much better
    from the link

“We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing… You have your car’s GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!”

didnt seem to be an issue with both zelda HD masters, they also didnt think that was an issue with starfox

Yeah they can't genuinely use that excuse, especially with star fox, a game where you're constantly jumping between the two.

It's a bad decision. I recently played arkham city on the wii u, and then arkham knight on the ps4, and when I was playing on the ps4 I was always intuitively looking down to check the map and change weapons. It's such a great use of the second screen. Instead of having to constantly keep stopping the game to do the same thing.

It's the only thing the wii u does well and they remove just because there's also a switch version.

This is actually hilarious! They believe looking at the gamepad is a distraction?!

Remind me how much was spent on R&D for this console? That's the whole point of it's existence; to be looked at.

This is actually hilarious! They believe looking at the gamepad is a distraction?!

Remind me how much was spent on R&D for this console? That's the whole point of it's existence; to be looked at.

Exactly, it's ridiculous.

And this "Furthermore, Aonuma had stated in an interview with Wired that with development on the NX version of the game, having too much focus on one mechanic that may or may not be in the NX would lead to experiences that would be inconsistent. Aonuma explains that:

“I’m not going to create something where the users are going to have a different experience.”

This is the same person made twilight princess for the GameCube and the wii, and they were significantly different, much more so than wiiu and switch. The game was designed for the wii u ffs!

I'm actually glad they're not going to force us to use the gamepad. Was never that fond of it as a controller - ergonomically it's not great and it's annoying having to look away from the tv. Wii-U Pro controller all the way for me.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm actually glad they're not going to force us to use the gamepad. Was never that fond of it as a controller - ergonomically it's not great and it's annoying having to look away from the tv. Wii-U Pro controller all the way for me.

They never forced us before though, that's the point. You could have used the Pro Controller with Twilight Princess.

Now they have stripped away the fantastic gamepad convenience to keep it in line with the Switch.

• Advertisement

They never forced us before though, that's the point. You could have used the Pro Controller with Twilight Princess.

Now they have stripped away the fantastic gamepad convenience to keep it in line with the Switch.

Fair point about not being forced to use it (with Zelda games at least) and I can see why some folk would be disappointed by them removing the functionality. I just never warmed to using it, would always choose the Pro controller where I could. That convenience was always an irritation to me.

Anyway, it's still going to be a great game. :)

Advertisement