Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The gamepad worked fantastically well with Windwaker HD. If this game, made specifically with the gamepad in mind, manages to do a worse job, then Nintendo are f*cking idiots of epic proportions. They'd have added a whole pile of "don't bother waiting to see how the switch does, just get a PS4" feeling to my standing. WiiU? Lets just....umm.....pretend that never happened.... Dicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

I enjoyed playing Zelda with the WiiU gamepad.

As for the Wii Versions, I hated the controllers and gave up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved Twilight Princess on the GC, not so much on the Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

For them to use the excuse of looking at the gamepad screen interrupting gameplay completely invalidates the years invested in the Wii U. There should be an uproar from gamers regarding removal of the gamepad functioning for inventory and map. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

Any idea when we'll start to get reviews of this?? Eager to see what kind of scores it gets...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Pac1Man wrote: »
    They never forced us before though, that's the point. You could have used the Pro Controller with Twilight Princess.

Now they have stripped away the fantastic gamepad convenience to keep it in line with the Switch.

Or they stopped putting resources into the gamepad use because frankly the Wii u version likely won't sell as much?

Imagine, a company, trying to shift a new product? Outrageous frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Any idea when we'll start to get reviews of this?? Eager to see what kind of scores it gets...

You're not likely to get any until at least a week before launch.

And can I please take this moment to ask you all to not just skim through scores and read the actual reviews. A number doesn't mean much, if it was so important the text wouldn't be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Loved Twilight Princess on the GC, not so much on the Wii

Yea I have both versions but only ever played the wii. Never finished it so I'm gonna go back to it but GC version this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Or they stopped putting resources into the gamepad use because frankly the Wii u version likely won't sell as much?

Imagine, a company, trying to shift a new product? Outrageous frankly.

:o

Ah to only have your innocence...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pac1Man wrote: »
    :o

Ah to only have your innocence...

I don't think that's wild a thought though really? I mean I really liked the gamepad experience on the Gamepad but it's now a last generation game, a game that's one of the biggest ones Nintendo have ever undertaken. I don't think we expected the Wii U version to have full and complete effort into it when the NX, Switch version has probably been worked on for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The issue isn't that they didn't develop Wii U-specific functionality that they couldn't adapt for the Switch.

It's that they *did* develop it, they showed it off and then they took it out. After the artificially short life cycle of the console, the multiple delays to BotW, the moving of other titles in development to the Switch and now this, it's difficult to see how any Wii U owner still has any balls left for Ninty to kick. And yet they keep swinging...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Banjo wrote: »
    The issue isn't that they didn't develop Wii U-specific functionality that they couldn't adapt for the Switch.

It's that they *did* develop it, they showed it off and then they took it out. After the artificially short life cycle of the console, the multiple delays to BotW, the moving of other titles in development to the Switch and now this, it's difficult to see how any Wii U owner still has any balls left for Ninty to kick. And yet they keep swinging...

Agreed. I actually don't really care for the gamepad as I prefer to just focus on the big TV screen, same with many other games like MarioKart 8, I much preferred playing that with the Wii remote and wheel actually. :) But for them to show the gamepad screen functioning for the game, and now to remove it because they shifted development to NX/Switch, is an insult to all the Wii U owners out there. We've been waiting for this since probably before the Wii U even came out, and now it's been delayed to make it a launch game for a new system. The Switch version is a port, and while I'd expect it to have superior features to its predecessor, that doesn't give them the excuse to remove features that were developed for the original from the original version. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm wondering if they removed it to help improve the frame rate of the Wii U version...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,059 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Various map size comparisons of previous Zelda games and Skyrim.
    tvHB6WH.png

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Release Trailer - Easter Eggs, Secrets and Gameplay Analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keGS8voCe_U

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Going to take the plunge on a Amazon preorder tonight with the £10 off. Still can't decide though. Leaning towards the WiiU version though I'm tempted make the jump to the Switch. Only picked up the N64 and Gamecube when their respective Zeldas launched. Did get the Wii near launch for Twilight Princess. In hind site I should have got the Gamecube version. Played the wii a good bit early on but then drifted away from gaming. Don't think I played for over 2 years at one stage because of small kids and working a lot. Only dug it out to let the kids have a try when they got older and started playing again myself and picked up Skyward Sword. Picked up a Wii U very cheap a bit later then in Tesco clearout.

Really like my Wii U still don't play as much as I used to but at this stage I have a nearly better library of games than I had on any previous generation along with having the pro controller and a few wii motes. It's great for family gaming kids love Nintendoland and Mario3D and so will be the main household machine for a long time yet. It's cost me very little really I got the machine for a steal at €139 and have got nearly all the games and accessory's on sale cheap.

Still tempted to make the jump to the Switch portability will mean more time to play and will be handy for holidays. Probably won't be able justify buying extra joycons and a pro controller till a good bit down the line. Would really only have ZeldaBOTW and a few VC games to play for the foreseeable future. Wish there was some info if digital and VC games on WiiU would be at least available at a discount.

Oh what to do!

I did pick up Twilight Princess HD with wolf amibo during the week for €35 in Argos. Going to pick up a few more Wii U games while I can Yoshi's Wooly World and Mario Maker top of the list and probably one of the batman games. Would like to get some of the Selects but I'll wait for news on Switch. Should be still able to pick them up cheap for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭jos22

Amazon listed the official guide to breath of the wild with the following information

· UTTERLY COMPREHENSIVE: 120 Shrine mini-dungeons, 900 Korok seed puzzles, 76 side quests all mapped out and ready for you to discover and complete! Also includes optional challenges, mini-games, unlockables, Easter eggs, and more.

Wii U & Switch comparison - Identical scenes from Zelda Breath of the Wild (res, textures..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8WjK7iA5IA

Aonuma says Epona is in BOTW, though he didn't elaborate on it.
    We do not know what the purpose of Epona will be in Breath of the Wild, only that it will be in the game. When we asked Aonuma to explain the horse system, he confirmed his presence, although he chose not to go into detail about his role:

"As for Epona, she's in Breath of the Wild, but I do not want to reveal details about how to find her, or what that means," Aonuma said.

Aside from Epona, various horses can be found throughout the world in Breath of the Wild. Horses you encounter will need to be tamed. Each one also has unique stats, including strength, speed, stamina, temperament, and bond. Horses can be named as well.

http://pt.ign.com/the-legend-of-zelda-2017-nintendo-nx/38696/news/epona-vai-estar-em-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, if there's a black horse, she's going to be called Agro
    350?cb=20130809171838&path-prefix=teamico
    Best videogame horse ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

wait, Epona's a boy???

Edit : Phew! Aonuma knows she's not. And I'll be damned if I'll listen to a Spaniard ahead of him! (OK, they're portuguese. But that just didn't scan. A Portuguero? Portugeezer?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Banjo wrote: »
    wait, Epona's a boy???

Nah it is a girl, same as the Roman goddess she is named after.

• Advertisement

Mostly girl horses in videogames, saves on the developers having to make a physics accurate model of a horses willy, bouncing about as you cross Hyrule field.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like it has multiple endings too (if certain criteria are met)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-producer-confirms-alterna/1100-6447156/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Wow, I didn't know that the map would be bigger than Skyrim. My concern is whether we have a dense map filled with places or just barren areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

This is a simplified, less fancy, Paint:P version of the map comparison supposedly.

C20NkAuWIAAXrZF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If that's a packed map, I think we're in for a major treat here. Thank feck the switch is portable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Breath of the wild seems like its going to be a long game to complete like exploring the whole map to completion! so it should keep people going till at least mariokart the following month and maybe even as far as splatoon in the summer! Some zelda fans reckon they have figured out the backstory to botw from the hylian writing they showed from the map in the special edition on the treehouse live show, it sounds class, if its right ,search for zeltik botw backstory on youtube if your interested

The way my free time is at the moment, it might last me until Mario Odyssey. :)

Xenji wrote: »
    Nah it is a girl, same as the Roman goddess she is named after.

She's a Celtic Goddess. I posted stuff on her before and other Celtic links in Zelda. Though Googling just now brings up Gallo-Roman links. She was the protector of horses, ponies, donkeys, and mules.

http://web-holidays.com/celtic/2012/03/20/the-feast-of-epona/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Corholio wrote: »
    This is a simplified, less fancy, Paint:P version of the map comparison supposedly.

Thomas Was Alone confirimed?

Wasn't it in the VGA video a couple years ago that they referred to Epona as "He"?

• Advertisement

Aonuma was interviewed on BOTW and there were some interesting answers.

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-on-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-development-shrines-art-style-more/

Some choice bits (I'll spoiler it just to be safe, but I think it doesn't spoil anything):
    – Aonuma points out that North American players aren’t big on upgrading abilities to progress similar to Monster Hunter
    – Nintendo was criticized for the lack of freedom in the past, with different areas being connected by small paths
    – The player now has freedom similar to the original Zelda
    – Aonuma believes Breath of the Wild will be a key entry in the series
    – Experience points and leveling up was never considered
    – Rather, Nintendo decided to implement the weapon system
    – To obtain high-level equipment, players need to be smart about how they approach the game
    – Link’s speed is adapted to the pace of the game
    – There are many things that are hidden in the world, and you can run at full speed, but you may miss a lot by doing so
    – With Skyrim, he likes how when you enter a new town, it feels different from other ones you’ve visited
    – He wanted to create something like this, but in a different way
    – This is why you can climb anywhere
    – On Shrines: having them all be long/complex means players wouldn’t complete the game
    – Nintendo made Shrines to be rewards rather than actual trials
    – Shrines are very different from those of previous Zelda, though some are much larger and have a boss at the end similar to traditional dungeons
    – Nintendo has done away with dungeons that have a particular theme
    – Even if you come across a shrine located in a forest, it won’t necessarily carry that theme
    – Architecture not based on specific real life locations
    – Inspired by different pieces of architecture from around the world

Advertisement