Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 9 "Battle of the Bastards" - Speculation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'd have to watch it first, but put this title up against "The rains of castamere", which meant something, and Battle of the Bastards looks more like a plot summary than a title.

Well it's probably what the people of Westeros would call the battle in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The director of this episode is
    Miguel Sapochnik, he did the Hardhome episode last season. Bodes well for an episode that is focused on a huge battle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I hope the episode doesn't get too lost in just the battle though, as in jump straight into it. Hardhome was excellent because it was a very good episode leading up to the battle and to be honest I hadn't even seen it coming. I think thats what made it so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Yep, can see Wun Wun bitting the dust and at least one of Tormund and Davos. My money is on Tormund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Degag wrote: »
    Yep, can see Wun Wun bitting the dust and at least one of Tormund and Davos. My money is on Tormund.

Don't you say that!

I have a feeling that the house that delivered Rickon (the Umbers??) will pull a Trojan horse. They're mixed in with the Bolton forces, and will wait for the opportune moment to do an about-face and attack the Bolton men next to them. The North remembers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

rawn wrote: »
    Don't you say that!

I have a feeling that the house that delivered Rickon (the Umbers??) will pull a Trojan horse. They're mixed in with the Bolton forces, and will wait for the opportune moment to do an about-face and attack the Bolton men next to them. The North remembers etc
    Someone big is going to die and i think Tormund has served his purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Can deffo see Rickon either getting killed in this one or else his corpse being marched out as a team mascot by Ramsey.

Am hoping Wun Wun doesn't get minced, nor Tormund neither, actually wouldn't be surprised if Jon gets banjaxed again and needs to be rezzed (even though he told ol' smokey crotch not to do so if he dies in the trailer).

Am expecting the Knights of the Vale to swoop in but wouldn't be surprised to see the Lannister army to appear up north in either this episode or the finale, the way things seem to be going a lot of characters are either heading for Winterfell or just heading north in general.

Assuming that the Bolton / houses of the north army gets defeated, it'll be interesting to see what sort of justice is doled out to them, and what will be the price for victory? I reckon Sansa will have to marry that little freakshow who's lord of the vale :)

Yeah, Rickon is definitely gone.

The actor who plays him must be a little annoyed! Gets called back after 3 seasons off-screen and his role is to be on screen for 20 seconds with no lines and then probably be a flayed, flaming corpse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Am expecting the Knights of the Vale to swoop in but wouldn't be surprised to see the Lannister army to appear up north in either this episode or the finale, the way things seem to be going a lot of characters are either heading for Winterfell or just heading north in general.

Im trying to imagine how the Lannister army would be there. They were in bed with the Boltons for the Red Wedding. The Boltons betrayed them by marrying Sansa (Lannister) Stark to Ramsay Bolton. Could Jaime argue that he is supporting his family by joining forces to Sansa (Lannister) Stark? The point of her marriage to Tyrion was to get a Lannister into Winterfell. But they think she was involved in Joffreys death so would Jaime support her?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Cersei thinks Sansa was involved with Joffrey's death but I'm not sure that Jaime does.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Im trying to imagine how the Lannister army would be there. They were in bed with the Boltons for the Red Wedding. The Boltons betrayed them by marrying Sansa (Lannister) Stark to Ramsay Bolton. Could Jaime argue that he is supporting his family by joining forces to Sansa (Lannister) Stark? The point of her marriage to Tyrion was to get a Lannister into Winterfell. But they think she was involved in Joffreys death so would Jaime support her?
    Didn't Tommen annul the Tyrion-Sansa marriage? Which left Sansa free to marry Ramsay (show version). In the books it's a bit different since it's Arya (Who are ya).

But is it really a betrayal to marry her to Ramsay? And at this stage Jaime knows that Sansa has got away from Ramsay.

Didn't Tommen annul the Tyrion-Sansa marriage? Which left Sansa free to marry Ramsay (show version). In the books it's a bit different since it's Arya (Who are ya).

But is it really a betrayal to marry her to Ramsay? And at this stage Jaime knows that Sansa has got away from Ramsay.

Dont remember any annulment except that Littlefinger claimed that as her maidenhood was intact her first marriage wasnt valid - at which point Roose said he didnt care about her maidenhood, only her name.

Well Roose and Tywin were in cahoots re the Red Wedding. Then after that Sansa was married to Tyrion to secure the North. But then she legged it and they married her to Ramsay - so that would have removed the Lannister claim on the North.

Yes, Jaime is up to date on current events, Im just trying to see a situation where he would choose to take the Lannister army to Winterfell (and support Jon Snow)- I just cant see him supporting the Boltons after they betrayed his family. But unless he supports Sansa into Winterfell so that the Lannisters get their claim on the North back....?

What other reason might he support Jon/Sansa?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

For some reason I've a feeling Ramsay won't be killed just yet. I worry for Wun Wun but curious about a lot of people here thinking Davos will get killed. How come?

I hope he doesn't, Westeros needs a level head like his in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

For some reason I've a feeling Ramsay won't be killed just yet. I worry for Wun Wun but curious about a lot of people here thinking Davos will get killed. How come?

I hope he doesn't, Westeros needs a level head like his in the show.

Wun Wun will be subject to (budget) cuts. Like direwolves, he's just too damn expensive to survive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Does anyone else think that Ramsay will in.....it'd be very GOT

• Registered Users Posts: 35 G.Ames

I Think this episode will be the highlight of this season!
    I'm so excited of this Episode.
    I hope it comes to a fight between Ramsey and Jon, and I wonder what happens to Rickon.

Now there is no longer even mini - synopses to the final episodes of the current season six, does anybody know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Tenger wrote: »
    Far too American for my taste.

A valid point, now I don't even like it.

Yes, Jaime is up to date on current events, Im just trying to see a situation where he would choose to take the Lannister army to Winterfell (and support Jon Snow)- I just cant see him supporting the Boltons after they betrayed his family. But unless he supports Sansa into Winterfell so that the Lannisters get their claim on the North back....?

What other reason might he support Jon/Sansa?
    None. I can't see any reason for a Lannister army to head north. At best it might do so to defend the Boltons but never to support the Starks.

Jaime is hell bent on getting back to Kings Landing. He will have to leave some sort of garrison in Riverrun to keep Edmure honest but he would need the rest back in Kings Landing I would suspect.

Though if Cersei goes full Aerys, he'd probably be better off staying put.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Though if Cersei goes full Aerys, he'd probably be better off staying put.

Someone has to kill her. Prophecy says it will be him or Tyrion, if memory serves.

Someone has to kill her. Prophecy says it will be him or Tyrion, if memory serves.
    Prophecy said the Valonqar (little brother). The general belief is that this refers to either Tyrion or Jaime since both are younger than her. But it doesn't say who's Valonqar, so any number of people could be her killer.

• Advertisement

Prophecy said the Valonqar (little brother). The general belief is that this refers to either Tyrion or Jaime since both are younger than her. But it doesn't say who's Valonqar, so any number of people could be her killer.

Perhaps Tommen. Joffreys little brother.

I think they are pushing it to be its her against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Perhaps Tommen. Joffreys little brother.

I think they are pushing it to be its her against him.

Was literally just about to post the same. In some ways by taking away a trial by combat could be what kills her. Is her crime punishable by death?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

duffman13 wrote:
    Was literally just about to post the same. In some ways by taking away a trial by combat could be what kills her. Is her crime punishable by death?

What is she on trial for in the show? Fornication only? Or the auld incest as well. If it's fornication only then maybe not. For incest yes, but that would be a death sentence for Tommen too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

rawn wrote: »
    What is she on trial for in the show? Fornication only? Or the auld incest as well. If it's fornication only then maybe not. For incest yes, but that would be a death sentence for Tommen too

I'd imagine it's for incest with Lancel - with godboy being the star witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Not sure if this has been mentioned (haven't read every post) I reckon that by the end of this episode Davos will have discovered what Melisandre did to Shereen and, in response, either he or Jon will kill her.

I think it would be good to see Jon plunge a sword into her and pull it out aflame with Melisandre seeing this while she draws her last breaths before dying, faith fully restored.

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's for incest with Lancel - with godboy being the star witness.

Its not incest with Lancel - he is her cousin.

Its adultery - remember she was saying to the High Sparrow that it wasnt an excuse but that Robert was whoring about as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

pinkypinky wrote:
    Cersei thinks Sansa was involved with Joffrey's death but I'm not sure that Jaime does.

He doesn't. He seemed to genuinely believe tyrion when he said they played no part. Otherwise he wouldn't have released him.
    My argument for jaime reaching winter fell is this:
    Jaime made a vow to catelyn Stark which he fobbed off by giving brienne the job. He may want to follow through on his oath himself.
    He knows brienne is loyal, honourable, and wouldn't support the Stark cause if she didn't believe in it. And he trusts her.
    He promised her she could take the Tully army, but now she's left with nothing. He'll want to remedy that.
    His treatment of Edmure and spiel about getting back to cersei is a cute way of making it all the more shocking for the viewer when he turns up.
    If he helps them, he may think it would make the north, the riverlands, and the vale loyal to the crown again and bring peace back to the realm. Or at the very least, not rebellious houses.

At this point, we have the general overall outlook of who will be on which side foe the eventual battle for the iron throne:
    Team Daenerys: Dorne, Iron islands, possibly Highgarden, unsullied, second sons, khalasar, 3 dragons.
    Team Usurper: the North, the Vale, the wildlings, possibly Riverrun.

Undecided: the westerlands, the Reach, the stormlands.

I think Dany is looking pretty invincible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You from Leitrim by any chance? :D

(although I believe you are correct - Westeros also follows the Leitrim/Alabama rules on cousin-riding).
    Its adultery - remember she was saying to the High Sparrow that it wasnt an excuse but that Robert was whoring about as well.

Now that you mention it, I think this is actually the right vein of thought - except I've some nagging thought in the back of my mind that it was mentioned somewhere that it's considered treason to commit adultery against the King

Cersei is on trial for fornication, incest, treason and the murder of King Bobby.

She's definitely dead if she loses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Pity the High Sparrow banned trial by combat... there's a guy in Shelbyville who could have helped Cersei out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQwPK2CEjiw

Advertisement