Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Internationals Wk 1: How I Learned to Stop Working and Love the Bomb...

Options
  • 10-06-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭

...or "Garryowen" for you Neanderthals up North.

So, this week has all been about preparation: Getting the basics right, making sure all the bases are covered, leaving nothing to chance.

Which is why Wednesday I made sure my wife knew that Saturday would be spent on the couch. "You know how last weekend there wasn't a single game of rugby played anywhere, and I spent lots of time with you and the kids. *Cough*, well, um, this Saturday, um, I might not be quite so, um, how should I put it, available."

Trust me, this works better than "springing" a "surprise" on Saturday morning: "Um yeah, I won't be seen today. You can let me know when meals are served. Put some beers in the fridge, will ya". Guaranteed to finish badly. And with an enforced (long) break from some of the other fun activities in life. Unless you prefer solo.

So moving right along.

First up NZ vs Wales. Hats off to Alun Wynn Jones for 100 tests. NZ to field a few new faces, and Crotty to play at 12. He's NZ's marmite player (either you like him or you don't), and a Joe Schmidt wetdream - does the basics well, reliable, tries an optional extra (see, I didn't mention the try in the game that never happened...). But I'll be rooting for Crotty, he hails from my alma mater. From a neutral point of view, a Wales win would do wonders for the series...during the RWC my daughters had a habit of choosing a team for each game. The youngest, bless her, liked the team in red "Ich bin for Vales!". It is very endearing and cute. But the bonhomie and joviality might disappear if the match goes not as expected "FFS, would you ever shut the f*ck up with that Wales cr*p, bloody hell, daddy's trying to concentrate on the match. And don't copy daddy's swearing now will you, there's a good girl."

Then England (
    Poms
    ) vs Australia (
    convicts
    ). Jones vs Cheika. Loud vs louder. Brash vs brasher. Lots of potential for aggro and cards. Potential to be a classic series. Israel Folau blew my socks off in his last game (for the Waratahs at 13). Look for him and Itoje to star.

After that the Baby Blacks vs the Irish Wolfhound Puppies (is there a nickname for the Irish U20s?). Chance to get a sneak peak at future stars and Irish project players. Some of the Irish players will no doubt impress too :D

Finally, Suid Afrika vs Ireland. Please, someone do a match thread.

Enjoy the "feast of rugby". And post sensibly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

swiwi_ wrote: »
    After that the Baby Blacks vs the Irish Wolfhound Puppies (is there a nickname for the Irish U20s?).

I've heard Wolfpuppies afew times

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is your daughter speaking some German hybrid or reading the Welsh crest?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is this where we come to pretend the Kiwis are rubbish during the first game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Is your daughter speaking some German hybrid or reading the Welsh crest?

It's a spontaneous mix of Swiss German and English. More German than English.

The older one went for NZ while the middle one was Ireland all the way (once she learnt Cork - where she was born - wasn't a country: although I realise some people from the Rebel county would consider that fact up for debate...)

Is this where we come to pretend the Kiwis are rubbish during the first game?

Yes. With emphasis on the word pretend...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Have got a Welsh mate and a kiwi mate staying this weekend (I'm kiwi as well). Thought it couldn't have been more perfect for the AB's vs Wales match....... until my Kiwi mate tells me his flight lands at 9am Saturday and I have to collect him.

Foolishly told a few Irish mates of my dilemma, so expect my plans of recording and watching delayed will be thwarted by several informative texts...

jacksie66 wrote: »
    My company is putting on a shout tonight. Free beer all night and good rugby. Can't complain about that!

For your sake I hope it's a deluxe selection of NZ's best craft beers...and not Waikato draught...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Come on the kiwis!

Wayne Barnes to oversee a righteous victory for the best team

Silliness from r'kid Jones but fantastic work before it to slow it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

On replay, I don't see how Wales didn't get the penalty for holding on.

Buer wrote: »
    On replay, I don't see how Wales didn't get the penalty for holding on.
    Very very unlucky, typical Barnes giving the Kiwis an easy ride

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

NZ getting very quick ball here. If that continues Wales will get destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I guess the theory that NZ would never kick the ball when in their opponent's 22 is out the window after the first 5 mins

Interesting that Cruden's kicking stats are just 71% at test level. Would NZ get away with that against SA, Australia and England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

bilston wrote: »
    NZ getting very quick ball here. If that continues Wales will get destroyed.

And running onto it at pace. Hard to see Wales living with this for 80

Brillant try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

That was a great try, great hands

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Nice try

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

that was lovely

He mightn't be everyone's favourite player but Liam Williams has had a great start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Toby living up to his prematch rating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

That Wales try was all Connaught... ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jaysus, naholos defense exposed twice in that Welsh try

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Jaysus, naholos defense exposed twice in that Welsh try
    Yeah he was nowhere there

The righteous victory looks on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Superb try. Excellent passing.

I'd like to see the phase where Barnes told NZ to stay back though when they went to steal after the box kick. Didn't look like a ruck initially to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Wales take the lead, it's a bit early to go provoking them like that

Advertisement