Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,436 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Official rejection for me today too. Donadea it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Equally annoying when those that are seeking charity sponsorship aren't upfront about how it works.ie you raise the target amount and the charity covers all your costs travel/accommodation/ entry. Not too many are interested in paying for someone else's holiday tbh.

I didn't come across that I have to say, I paid my registration, and everything else out of my own pocket. And I also matched € to £ off my own bat.

Overall it was a good experience and the only reason I'm not going that way again is I'm looking for something different in Ireland for charity next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Rejected as well. Can't decide if I'm disappointed or relieved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Phew

Now what other marathon can I sign up for and not do...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Still no word here;), not sure if thats good or bad. Has any boardsie actually got in? I'm "away" from London at the moment so hoping my housemate sees a letter addressed to me soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Didn't make it myself. Thinking about Vienna or Paris instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Still no word here;), not sure if thats good or bad. Has any boardsie actually got in? I'm "away" from London at the moment so hoping my housemate sees a letter addressed to me soon.

One of my clubmates got his "you're in" magazine posted to his house earlier this week, he had entered through the general ballot. afaik he was the only one in the club who got in via the ballot, out of numerous entries

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Got rejected. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭webpal

My connection on my phone is so slow at opening emails. I can see the first line though. Does it by any chance finish like this "We regret that we have to advise you that............ your training will have get more intense as you're in!"?

apparently not, ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

It's a no here also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

One of my clubmates got his "you're in" magazine posted to his house earlier this week, he had entered through the general ballot. afaik he was the only one in the club who got in via the ballot, out of numerous entries

A family I know got two out of three with entries confirmed and only one PFO, with the kid getting a place and certainly being on their first entry to the ballot as they only just turned 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 McNamarathon

And it's a no for me too. Kilnaboy 10 mile road race it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

No here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭ooter

Forgive my ignorance but what does PFO stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Phew

Now what other marathon can I sign up for and not do...

Rotterdam, oh wait...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

ooter wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but what does PFO stand for?

The 'p' stand for please and the 'o' for off, I'll let you fill in the 'f' yourself but when I use it it it sounds like duck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

No for me too, still on the fence about Barcelona vs focusing on shorter distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The Celtic Runner

Rejected too... Looking for something else in 2017, flat and nice city to go with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Vienna seems flat, as does Manchester. Edinburgh seems fast, although I think it has a reputation of being a bit windy. The Great Run crowd have one in Stirling in April too. There's also Paris or Brighton. Reykjavik has spring marathon.

I've run all these past the accountant - Limerick it is then!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

murphm45 wrote: »
    The 'p' stand for please and the 'o' for off, I'll let you fill in the 'f' yourself but when I use it it it sounds like duck ;)

But it doesn't quack!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Another alternative that people might want to consider is Hamburg. If memory serves is on exactly the same day (if not then its a week before or a week after) and a friend of a friend did it a few years ago and couldn't speak highly enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

The rock and roll in Madrid is the same day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Negative here too......Prague is probably my next preference. Know the city fairly well and have heard a couple of decent reports on the race. Will make a decision after the 30th.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

murphm45 wrote: »
    Another alternative that people might want to consider is Hamburg. If memory serves is on exactly the same day (if not then its a week before or a week after) and a friend of a friend did it a few years ago and couldn't speak highly enough of it.

I agree with your friend. Excellent marathon & highly recommended. The current Olympic Gold Medallist made his marathon debut in this event. Fast course, nice route, great support. If I wasn't running London, Hamburg would be high on my list of alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Question for the London regulars (Robin :)). What's the average you'd expect to get the strand palace for, does it ever go on offer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Strand Palace isn't cheap, and me now needing a bigger room to accommodate a baby cot doesn't help either. But I have managed to get a small discount through one of the likes of Expedia or Hotwire previously. I did book direct with them this year though.

If you go for one of the "cozy" rooms then it will be cheaper, and the rooms are tiny then, but you still get one of the best possible locations. I'd need to dig through some old emails to find a price that I've paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

robinph wrote: »
    The Strand Palace isn't cheap, and me now needing a bigger room to accommodate a baby cot doesn't help either. But I have managed to get a small discount through one of the likes of Expedia or Hotwire previously. I did book direct with them this year though.

If you go for one of the "cozy" rooms then it will be cheaper, and the rooms are tiny then, but you still get one of the best possible locations. I'd need to dig through some old emails to find a price that I've paid.
    Thanks Robin, yeah it's a class location, very tempted.

Looks like the price has been between £130 and £180 per night over the last few years. But there are way cheaper options if you are prepared for a bit less convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

yes!!! I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Bollix, I'm not in. Anyone have experience with the tours? How much is it roughly and is it worth it when all things are added up?

Advertisement