Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

El Caballo wrote: »
    ISOP wrote: »
    yes!!! I'm in.

Bollix, I'm not. Anyone have experience with the tours? How much is it roughly and is it worth it when all things are added up?

About 1k last time I checked with sportstravelinternational. That was a few years ago now though, so may have gone up/down since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

These are the prices I was quoted back in August:

ALL TOUR PRICES ARE PER PERSON                                                                                

€uro                

Standard Twins or Doubles

Runner 2 nights Twin or Double sharing 1,049                 

Non-runner 2 nights Twin or Double sharing 529                

Executive Twins or Doubles

Runner 2 nights Twin or Double sharing 1,115               

Non-runner 2 nights Twin or Double sharing 595                

Standard Singles - Rooms for ONE person only.

Runner 2 nights Single 1,245

Non-runner 2 nights Single 725                

Limited Availability

Executive Singles - Rooms for ONE person only.

Runner 2 nights Single 1,377             

Non-runner 2 nights Single 857                   

Limited Availability

Standard Triples (3 person bookings for (families or friends only)

Runner 2 nights triple sharing 1,014                    

Non-runner 2 nights triple sharing 494                

Limited Availability

Extra Night Per Person

Standard Twin or Double sharing 132

Executive Twin or Double sharing 165                       

Standard Single 230                       

Executive Single 296                     

Triple Sharing 120                      

EXTRA COSTS

Travel Insurance:  Includes cover for participation in the marathon

and travel disruptio 25                    

Checked in bag (where applicable and if requested) Cost may vary.   30                       

Buffet dinner on Sat evening at hotel                               36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Runner 2 nights Single 1,245

1,245 euro I know it includes flights and accommodation, but that's crazy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

nhunter100 wrote: »
    1,245 euro I know it includes flights and accommodation, but that's crazy.

Cheaper than doing a charity place for £2000, although the point then is that you get other people to give you the cash, but you still need to get there and have somewhere to stay on top of whatever the charity is needing from you.

Looks like they are putting a €500 premium on the fees for the entry to the marathon compared with non-runner prices. That's not too bad, and €725 just for the two nights accommodation and flights to London on a busy weekend isn't too bad.

Yes, you can do a weekend in London yourself for way cheaper, but that's not what you are buying. I assume they are not putting you up in a Travelodge in Luton or anything though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

robinph wrote: »
    I assume they are not putting you up in a Travelodge in Luton or anything though?

Friends of mine went through Sports International and they were put up in the Cumberland Hotel, beside Hyde Park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RubyK wrote: »
    Friends of mine went through Sports International and they were put up in the Cumberland Hotel, beside Hyde Park.

Which on a very quick look seems to be in the £200 per night range booking direct!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In fairness I used them for the New York marathon 3 years ago. I had my own entry so they took that off the price.

Everything with them was organised top class, hotel, transport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭ooter

If anyone is struggling for accomodation I'd recommend this place, stayed here last year and it was very good. Short walk to the tube station.
    http://palmerslodges.com/swisscottage/hostel/

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Any Irish Charities offering places to fundraise and anyone had any experiences??

Any Irish Charities offering places to fundraise and anyone had any experiences??

A couple of charites I've seen are

Irish Heart Foundation http://www.irishheart.ie/iopen24/virgin-money-london-marathon-2017-t-10_26_421_435_1165.html

Irish Cancer Society https://www.cancer.ie/get-involved/fundraise/challenge-yourself/marathons/overseas#sthash.qEABaJoy.dpbs

I've not gone down that route myself, so can't offer any other help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

City jet flights from Dublin to London city on the Friday still good value for anyone that hasn't yet booked

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Looking for some advice from past London runners for dos and don'ts for accommodation.

Should one (Mrs Windsor speak) stay near the start, the finish or just next door to the Coal Hole where I presume post mortems will take place?

I realise as it's London, it's pricey everywhere any choices may be limited but what's the ideal situation.

Def recommend staying close to the finishline. Anywhere by Trafalgar Square/Strand area is ideal. I've stayed in the Strand Palace and the Amba Hotel Charring Cross. Both perfect locations (near the Coal Hole too), would stay a third time in the Amba, but they have jacked up their prices for next April :mad:. This area is also by the Embankment & Charring Cross stations, which will get you to the different starting areas.

I'd advise you to make a hotel reservation asap as prices will probably go up. Booking.com will let you book with free cancellation

If you are hanging around to have refreshments afterwards then aim for somewhere to stay nearer the finish. You'll appreciate the shorter walk back afterwards much more, both for after the marathon and for after the drinks.
    If you are heading straight for the airport after the finish/ pub then it doesn't really matter, but where and what you may want to eat the evening before may be an issue then as there will be less choice around the start line area.

It really isn't that tricky to get to the start from anywhere...but... if getting a train to the start it is worth investigating how to get to wherever the particular train you want to get to the start begins from, so would then have an empty train for you to get on. If you try and get on the train at a subsequent station along the line then you could find yourself getting frustrated stood on a platform as pack trains drive past you.

Generally anything central or north of the river will be better connected to the underground, and then it's easy to get to and from the Expo as well. But the DLR will also get you to the Expo easily from places futher out of the centre or south of the river.

I'd advise you to make a hotel reservation asap as prices will probably go up. Booking.com will let you book with free cancellation

Keeping an eye on the likes of booking websites is a good idea as you'll sometimes find bargains. I wouldn't be too concerned with not being able to find a room though if you do happen to leave it late. An extra 15,000 rooms being booked on one weekend in London for a bunch of runners is tiny compared to the amount of hotels rooms they have.

Don't leave it too late obviously, but don't panic just yet. Have a good search around for a bargain if you need to.

Def recommend staying close to the finishline. Anywhere by Trafalgar Square/Strand area is ideal. I've stayed in the Strand Palace and the Amba Hotel Charring Cross. Both perfect locations (near the Coal Hole too), would stay a third time in the Amba, but they have jacked up their prices for next April :mad:. This area is also by the Embankment & Charring Cross stations, which will get you to the different starting areas.

Keeping an eye on the likes of booking websites is a good idea as you'll sometimes find bargains. I wouldn't be too concerned with not being able to find a room though if you do happen to leave it late. An extra 15,000 rooms being booked on one weekend in London for a bunch of runners is tiny compared to the amount of hotels rooms they have.

Don't leave it too late obviously, but don't panic just yet. Have a good search around for a bargain if you need to.

That's great info thanks. Staying in London on night of the marathon for obligatory pm. Will keep an eye out for deals ( if they exist) over next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭ooter

If you are heading straight for the airport after the finish/ pub then it doesn't really matter.

if getting a train to the start it is worth investigating how to get to wherever the particular train you want to get to the start begins from, so would then have an empty train for you to get on. If you try and get on the train at a subsequent station along the line then you could find yourself getting frustrated stood on a platform as pack trains drive past you.

But the DLR will also get you to the Expo easily from places futher out of the centre or south of the river.

3 very good pieces of advice.
    1 thing I would change if I was doing London again is that I would fly in on the Friday and get my number sorted and pay for the extra night's accomodation, so long as it's not too expensive.
    I found the early start on the Saturday to catch my flight, transfer from the airport to the expo and then from the expo to the hotel took a lot out of me and wasn't ideal preparation for the next day.

ooter wrote: »
    3 very good pieces of advice.
    1 thing I would change if I was doing London again is that I would fly in on the Friday and get my number sorted and pay for the extra night's accomodation, so long as it's not too expensive.
    I found the early start on the Saturday to catch my flight, transfer from the airport to the expo and then from the expo to the hotel took a lot out of me and wasn't ideal preparation for the next day.

Flight is already booked for the Sat am. I know what you mean about travelling across london though...it is tiring..something about their rock hard footpaths.

I'll be sure to bring my own Passepartout to make it more bearable.

By going on the Friday you can also do a bit of parkrun tourism, not that that necessarily lends itself to taking things easy on the feet. Although you can then chill out for the rest of the day and dragging yourself around the Expo on Saturday will be had work and potentially stressful, getting that out of the way a day earlier is certainly a good thing.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Couple of weeks in to 18 week programs - how are we getting on? Novice program here so not very ambitious, but set a big post-baby 10km PB on Stephen's Day :) Also got a 12km long run in on Sunday while ticking off another Parkrun.

Regarding the expo - I live in London and want to minimise the misery, I'll be hitting it on the Wednesday evening after work (it's open until 8 Wed/Thurs/Fri).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Just getting back into proper training again after logging miles/run for the past 3/4 weeks.

Entered a couple of races to help me judge where I'm at but feeling good atm. Fingers crossed for no silly injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Couple of weeks in to 18 week programs - how are we getting on? Novice program here so not very ambitious, but set a big post-baby 10km PB on Stephen's Day :) Also got a 12km long run in on Sunday while ticking off another Parkrun.

Regarding the expo - I live in London and want to minimise the misery, I'll be hitting it on the Wednesday evening after work (it's open until 8 Wed/Thurs/Fri).
    flying along, park run every saturday with the long run on either Wednesday or Sunday, Brixton 10k on Sunday and a Half the following Saturday in Victoria park to really get things going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Just got an entry sorted. Hadnt planned on a Spring marathon this year but its London and cant be turned down. It will be my 3rd time running it and i ran my PB there in 2015 so great memories.

I still haven't started training for this!

Guess I'll be trotting around and soaking up the atmosphere instead of clock watching, kind of looking forward to not being stressed about a target time.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Gavlor wrote: »

Guess I'll be trotting around and soaking up the atmosphere instead of clock watching, kind of looking forward to not being stressed about a target time.
    why change the habbit of a lifetime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JsepP

Bucket list race this. But need a lot of work to get a GFA. Would love to do it.

11 weeks, begin with a ten mile lsr and add 2 miles a week with no taper. I'll surely manage to squeeze a couple of 20 milers in. What could possibly go wrong??

I really should start training...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sounds like what my training is going to be like - off the road since January 19th after slicing my knee open in a fall when running home from work and have been told not to run until Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

11 weeks, begin with a ten mile lsr and add 2 miles a week with no taper. I'll surely manage to squeeze a couple of 20 milers in. What could possibly go wrong??

I really should start training...

And you'll still manage to run sub 3 handy, hate people like you.........

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    And you'll still manage to run sub 3 handy, hate people like you.........

No chance

Advertisement