Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sounds like what my training is going to be like - off the road since January 19th after slicing my knee open in a fall when running home from work and have been told not to run until Monday.

19th January?? Sure that's only last week... try august!! Whatever happens in London my run ain't going to be pretty, can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Tipping away very nicely, 1:55 half this morning, 20 miler in two weeks in Hampshire to ramp it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Training was ticking along nicely till a couple of weeks ago, out injured again now though!! Hopefully still plenty of time!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had a couple of weeks out myself now with illness and then injury. Thought the injury had sorted itself out, but today's attempt to push the buggy round the parkrun and looks like it's going to be a while longer before I can get back running again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Injuries are popping up all over the place here. I'd better wrap in cotton wool before today's run.

Get better soon folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Did the Watford half in 85:3x yesterday, a good bit slower than hoped but still early days in the build up to London and it's not a fast course. Of more concern is my ankle which seems to be getting sorer and sorer :( so an enforced break is on the cards i think

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Tough one Watford, can safely take 2-3 minutes off on a flat course. 
    Doing Rotterdam on April 9th, but got a championship spot for London and love London so going to see if I come out of Rotterdam ok, few days relax and a few beers, and then bit more tapering again for London.  Try for maybe 2:45ish in Rotterdam and sub3 in London, hard to know though how the old body will be.  All coming around very fast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

How is everyones training going? How are those who picked up injuries getting on? I'm into week 8 of the 16 week plan now, weeks feel like they are flying by.

RubyK wrote: »
    How is everyones training going?  How are those who picked up injuries getting on?  I'm into week 8 of the 16 week plan now, weeks feel like they are flying by.
    Good aye, managing 70ish mile weeks with a good dollop of XC racing at the weekends.  As fun as they are, thankfully that is the XC season over here in London done now.  Taper in 4 weeks for Rotterdam, having an easier week this one, 45 to 50 with a half marathon on Sunday.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bahahahahaha. I missed nearly 3 weeks in late Jan/early Feb because I sliced my knee almost to the bone in a fall while running home from work. I ran 10 miles as my long run yesterday and I'll consider myself lucky if I make it to an 18 mile long run 2 weeks before it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have just done three days of running in a row for the first time in a month. Yay!

Now to figure out how quickly I dare up the miles again to get some long runs in again. No records being broken this year in London, just make sure I get a safe GFA time and then convince myself that I'm happy with that.

Polster wrote: »
    Good aye, managing 70ish mile weeks with a good dollop of XC racing at the weekends.  As fun as they are, thankfully that is the XC season over here in London done now.  Taper in 4 weeks for Rotterdam, having an easier week this one, 45 to 50 with a half marathon on Sunday.

Wow, that's great milage, looks like training is going great for you.
    Bahahahahaha. I missed nearly 3 weeks in late Jan/early Feb because I sliced my knee almost to the bone in a fall while running home from work. I ran 10 miles as my long run yesterday and I'll consider myself lucky if I make it to an 18 mile long run 2 weeks before it.

Ah that sounds like a really nasty accident! Plenty of time to go yet though :-)
    robinph wrote: »
    Have just done three days of running in a row for the first time in a month. Yay!

Now to figure out how quickly I dare up the miles again to get some long runs in again. No records being broken this year in London, just make sure I get a safe GFA time and then convince myself that I'm happy with that.

You were in the wars too robinph? But as above, still plenty of time, and it sounds like you have a good plan.

Anyone who is still looking for accommodation, single rooms in The Strand Palace are €156 a night, doubles €190 with Amoma.com which isn't a bad price at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭ooter

Would love to be doing this again this year, hopefully I'll bag a GFA time in the coming months and make a return next year.
    Best of luck with the training for anyone who is doing it.

I struggled with injuries all through last Jan, Feb and March, physio every week, PF, knees, Achilles, the lot.  Managed to get in some decent training in March, few halfs, and up to 24m just under three weeks out, seemed to do the trick and was fresh for the day.  I know ye boys know what ye are doing though, so fingers crossed ye can get the few long runs in during March and I would suspect you'll be in decent fettle for the day.

You were in the wars too robinph? But as above, still plenty of time, and it sounds like you have a good plan.

Over a month I had injury, explosive illness, injury, evil cold and due to all of that my diabetes blood levels get messed up and run high. Now I've started running again I also need to take it a bit handy as my blood levels reset back to "normal" again. All just mounts up a bit to piss you off over time.

I did have a plan to get me in a position to potentially aim for a PB, including mentally trying to convince myself to put myself through the required pain of an outside possibility of a championship time.

Now that is out of the window for this marathon cycle, and I've already got GFA for next year from last years time, and getting a PB in Dublin is only an outside possibility due to the course and number of people to hide behind on the way round, and would still be able to get a new GFA time in Dublin anyway if needed... I've now got to psych myself up for having an enjoyable run around London and not being disappointed with a missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

3 hours for a 20 miler organised by the reading roadrunners yesterday, happy with that, wasn't killing myself

I consider myself very lucky on the injury front unlike a lot around here with only 2 days missed in the first 9 weeks of my 18 wk program. A cold last week and some chest pain the previous week that needed investigation ruled out two easy midweek runs.

In previous marathon cycles I've missed 1 to 2 weeks so hoping for a clear run;) from here on in.

Now must book that accommodation.

Anyone who is still looking for accommodation, single rooms in The Strand Palace are €156 a night, doubles €190 with Amoma.com which isn't a bad price at all.

Thanks for that. Booked it although it was €230 (double). Still, one less thing to worry about.

How is everyones training going? How are those who picked up injuries getting on? I'm into week 8 of the 16 week plan now, weeks feel like they are flying by.
    Looking like it'll just be a jog around for me! Off five weeks now bar the odd test run. Achilles has fully cleared up but the hamstring is being very persistent! Add a second bout of a chest infection in as many weeks and it sums up a very cheesed off runner. Second spring marathon in a row messed up from injury. I'd defer all together only for running it with my brother in law.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Now that is out of the window for this marathon cycle, and I've already got GFA for next year from last years time, and getting a PB in Dublin is only an outside possibility due to the course and number of people to hide behind on the way round, and would still be able to get a new GFA time in Dublin anyway if needed... I've now got to psych myself up for having an enjoyable run around London and not being disappointed with a missed opportunity.

You have had a rough time of it, but knowing you have the GFA will def ease any disappointment in not going for a pb.
    Ferris B wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Booked it although it was €230 (double). Still, one less thing to worry about.
    Prices seem to be creeping up. I've had to do a lot of chopping and changing in the last week due to change of plans and travelling alone now, as my husband is recovering from a broken ankle. I was lucky to get a good rate for Strand Palace.
    neilc wrote: »
    Looking like it'll just be a jog around for me! Off five weeks now bar the odd test run. Achilles has fully cleared up but the hamstring is being very persistent! Add a second bout of a chest infection in as many weeks and it sums up a very cheesed off runner. Second spring marathon in a row messed up from injury. I'd defer all together only for running it with my brother in law.
    This time of year it's hard to avoid illness, and as for the dreaded injury, it's a rotten combo, but I could think of worse things than jogging around London :D You'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It'll be a nice easy jog around London for me, my long run currently stands at 12 miles!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    It'll be a nice easy jog around London for me, my long run currently stands at 12 miles!!

Mine is 10, you're fine :pac:

This time of year it's hard to avoid illness, and as for the dreaded injury, it's a rotten combo, but I could think of worse things than jogging around London :D You'll love it.
    Probably will but doesn't feel like it now. Took that attitude for Boston last year, hadn't ran it before and just got back from injury that week so said I'd enjoy it. Done London twice before so doesn't have the same 'just enjoy it' feel to it.

Probably will but doesn't feel like it now. Took that attitude for Boston last year, hadn't ran it before and just got back from injury that week so said I'd enjoy it. Done London twice before so doesn't have the same 'just enjoy it' feel to it.

Sorry to hear of your woes Neil. Hope you can back to some sort of reasonable fitness soon.

And of course selfishly I've just lost my pacer.:(

Ferris B wrote: »

Sorry to hear of your woes Neil. Hope you can back to some sort of reasonable fitness soon.

And of course selfishly I've just lost my pacer.:(
    Haha, looking at your training log I think FBOT01 won't be far off with his predicted time, which probably would have been 7-10 minutes ahead of me on a good day (for me)!
    Accept me on strava so I can do a bit more in depth stalking :D I think that's you anyway!

Accept me on strava so I can do a bit more in depth stalking :D I think that's you anyway!

Oops, thought I did.:confused: You're not blocked anyway.

14 miles done this morning after completely mis-planning a 12 miler. Not dead. Maybe not quite as far up **** creek sans paddle as I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Just got word this morning I need to get accommodation. My club was originally going to do it but turns out they're not.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

DC. wrote: »
    Just got word this morning I need to get accommodation. My club was originally going to do it but turns out they're not.

Any suggestions?

Stayed in the Think Apartments near tower bridge a few times and am doing the same again. You can get out to the start from London Bridge station which is 5 mins away on foot. Its close to the DLR line too for getting to the expo. Its also in a nice area whith plenty of good spots to eat.

Only disadvantage is youll most likely have to get a 15 min taxi home from the finish area.

Advertisement