Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Has anyone actually received a rejection email yet? Every time my phone buzzes I think that's it - I normally get these lotteries when I'm not actually in a position to do the race though so I'm now expecting to get a place. :rolleyes:

No nothing yet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Rejection emails are now arriving. The anticipated email was delivered this afternoon.

Not sure why they post some rejections the magazine and others in the UK just get an email though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Zero, zilch, nada here to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Its such a pity London marathon PLC block anyone else from organizing a proper marathon for people who just want to run without raising 2500 to help employ some dolly bird to answer phones in a charidee office.

Rant over :)

I also see that gangster Foster is planning a late Oct marathon in the UK based on the huge upsurge Dublin has seen this year.
    Jim Aughney would want to be weary of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

No joy on that link either but still no official email(s) ...... ;)

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of looking at the Edinburgh Marathon in May if unsuccessful.... Anyone else ran this before??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Got the official email yesterday. No joy for me or my friend! Enjoy those who get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

We regret that we have to advise you that your application to run in the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon has not been successful due to massive over-subscription.

Ah well. I guess I'll have to race Dublin so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Just got the official email - no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Singer wrote: »
    We regret that we have to advise you that your application to run in the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon has not been successful due to massive over-subscription.

Ah well. I guess I'll have to race Dublin so...

This is the bit that pisses me off....
    However, if you still wish to run please click on the link below where there is a list of tour operators in your country who may be able to help you enter the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    In other words, you didn't get in at the normal price but here's a link where you can pay extortionist fees to take part. Not that I can run a marathon next year but still. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Firedance wrote:
    This is the bit that pisses me off.... However, if you still wish to run please click on the link below where there is a list of tour operators in your country who may be able to help you enter the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon In other words, you didn't get in at the normal price but here's a link where you can pay extortionist fees to take part. Not that I can run a marathon next year but still.

You can always apply to some of the Irish Charities and get your friends/neighbours to PAY for your flights/accommodation/ entry...oops I mean sponsor with some of the raised money actually going to said charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Slap in the face for me to, Barcelona isn't a bad backup option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Rejection for me also.I think I am more relieved than disappointed, mixed emotions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Got my email and its is a NO.

Thinking Cologne next Oct instead. Work on speed for the first 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Just got my PFO too, not too sure if I'm actually relieved or disappointed, on the plus side at least it didn't cost me anything!

Commiserations to those who didn't get a place but congrats and best of luck to those who did. Be sure to enjoy it for the rest of us!!

Ah balls

Didnt get in

I have no problem not getting in as there are many alternatives although I'd like to run a marathon in London someday and I fear due to the corporate power that VLM is there will never be an alternative in the city.

I am thinking the delay in their ballot results is quite underhanded in so much as they create such a panic it helps fill thousands of charity places with people feeling it's their only option.

Doing away with 5 strikes and your in was a pity too.
    Also outside of GFA/Clubs people who have never run should get preference in the general ballot.

Regarding the odds of getting a spot I would think for a start nearly 50% of general ballot applicants would be putting their finishing time between 3:45 - 4:15 which puts the majority at a disadvantage straight away.
    I would think they have corals in mind but what can you do? Put 7+hrs as your predicted time and start behind 40000?

The balance is made up of 30% plus over 5hrs who will be the charidee brigade who raise them the most money. A lot of these people will do the event again via a charity bib or have done so in the past thus oiling the wheels of the charity circuit.

I think like the WMM here it's nearly the biggest fundraiser of the year for some of these charities and unfortunately the event has been overcome by the machine.

Considering the following as an alternative:

Brighton - name down for 2nd round when it reopens
    Barcelona - been there 3 times, couldn't recommend it highly enough, one of the best organized events I've taken part in.
    Conn - torture
    Paris - would have to go to France though and I dislike French people greatly.
    Rotterdam - any one else do this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

tang1 wrote: »
    Slap in the face for me to, Barcelona isn't a bad backup option though.

much better than smelly ole London #notbitter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

And it's a no for me too. Honestly, I'm relieved a bit. I was only planning on doing one next year if I got London, so I'm going to focus on getting my half time down instead after DCM this year. I was lucky to get into DCM, I figured London would be pushing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

also received the PFO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

It's a no for me too. Yeah well, London is crap and i didn't want to go there anyway

*storms off in a sulk*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭ooter

Just got the unsuccessful email. :(
    Would've loved to have gone back again in 2017, ran it this year and it was an amazing experience.

Had 'one' PFO email, two to go.....
    Two UK address ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Morning,

Just got my PFO mail. I know people have given out about the charity element of the race (I got in last year through that route so can't complain) but surely the fact that the mail suggests you pay a tour operator at a massive mark up is more annoying.

Anyway Dublin in three weeks it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

No joy for me either, I think thats at least 4 times, but maybe 5 that I have been unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I have no problem not getting in as there are many alternatives although I'd like to run a marathon in London someday and I fear due to the corporate power that VLM is there will never be an alternative in the city.

I am thinking the delay in their ballot results is quite underhanded in so much as they create such a panic it helps fill thousands of charity places with people feeling it's their only option.

Doing away with 5 strikes and your in was a pity too.
    Also outside of GFA/Clubs people who have never run should get preference in the general ballot.

Regarding the odds of getting a spot I would think for a start nearly 50% of general ballot applicants would be putting their finishing time between 3:45 - 4:15 which puts the majority at a disadvantage straight away.
    I would think they have corals in mind but what can you do? Put 7+hrs as your predicted time and start behind 40000?

The balance is made up of 30% plus over 5hrs who will be the charidee brigade who raise them the most money. A lot of these people will do the event again via a charity bib or have done so in the past thus oiling the wheels of the charity circuit.

I think like the WMM here it's nearly the biggest fundraiser of the year for some of these charities and unfortunately the event has been overcome by the machine.

I understand the disappointment at not getting in but I think that you do London a disservice. They have a number of goals in organising the marathon and I think that they do a pretty good job of achieving those.

They want to have the best elite race in the world.

They want to support charitable organisations so they offer them places.

They also directly support charities which they do by charging charities and tour operators a high price for entry but donating profits through their charitable arm. On the other hand they have one of the cheapest entry fees for general runners that you'll find anywhere.

They had to give up the 5 misses and you're in policy because either they had to restrict the number of applicants to the first 100k or so (which was used up within a couple of hours) which lead to a whole pile of people moaning about the unfairness of it or they could let everyone apply and ditch the 5 misses policy. They could also have looked at charging New York style prices or higher until the numbers were reduced.

They support UK running clubs by running the club championship marathon automatically giving entry to sub 2:45 runners and also allocating a small number of entries to each club.

They support faster runners by offering guaranteed entry if you have run a good for age time.

They also allow you to defer your entry which many races don't.

You get free travel on the day of the race and the support is second to none.

On the whole I think that they do a pretty good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

AAD wrote:
    Just got my PFO mail. I know people have given out about the charity element of the race (I got in last year through that route so can't complain) but surely the fact that the mail suggests you pay a tour operator at a massive mark up is more annoying.

Equally annoying when those that are seeking charity sponsorship aren't upfront about how it works.ie you raise the target amount and the charity covers all your costs travel/accommodation/ entry. Not too many are interested in paying for someone else's holiday tbh.

Rotterdam - any one else do this one?

Yes, I did it this year. Great race, well organised and good support going around. Flat enough as well for a PB

Clearlier wrote: »
    I understand the disappointment at not getting in but I think that you do London a disservice. They have a number of goals in organising the marathon and I think that they do a pretty good job of achieving those.

They want to have the best elite race in the world.

They want to support charitable organisations so they offer them places.

They also directly support charities which they do by charging charities and tour operators a high price for entry but donating profits through their charitable arm. On the other hand they have one of the cheapest entry fees for general runners that you'll find anywhere.

They had to give up the 5 misses and you're in policy because either they had to restrict the number of applicants to the first 100k or so (which was used up within a couple of hours) which lead to a whole pile of people moaning about the unfairness of it or they could let everyone apply and ditch the 5 misses policy. They could also have looked at charging New York style prices or higher until the numbers were reduced.

They support UK running clubs by running the club championship marathon automatically giving entry to sub 2:45 runners and also allocating a small number of entries to each club.

They support faster runners by offering guaranteed entry if you have run a good for age time.

They also allow you to defer your entry which many races don't.

You get free travel on the day of the race and the support is second to none.

On the whole I think that they do a pretty good job.

Based on the entry fee they charge they put on a great event compared to NY etc. plus they don't make a whole pile from the charities.

I do feel though that they are obliging charities and are nearly depended on to give these charities the huge exposure they get each year.
    Looking at social media (facebook/twitter) since Monday morning you can see the charity accounts pushing the charity bib entries very heavily, it's dog eat dog and they are chomping at the bit for numbers.
    The drip feed of information to runners helps given them a platform for the week to get their message out.

The problem then with the charity is that you ask the runner to raise 2500 or which about 10% makes it though to the actual patient/care giver/upkeep of services. The vast majority is spent on junkets/staff salaries/expenses/admin.
    I've done work for charities as an IT partner and understand how the system works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'm starting to get used to the annual rejection email. It's my third in a row now.

Advertisement