Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

The results of the ballot are coming out on 18 of October.

I have received another email suggesting that I should nominate a charity to support if I win a place at the marathon. Do you think by not selecting one I am reducing my chances of actually getting a position in the ballot? I just want to flipping run the thing!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Won't make any difference to your chances in the ballot.

The London Marathon charity will be taking money from other charities to get them listed and get them runners etc. The London Marathon charity will then give money to other charities. Then the money goes round in circles a bit more. Then all the charities get to say that they raised X amount of money through the London Marathon and can congratulate each other on how awesome they all are at sending money round in circles.

Now which way was it to the conspiracy theories forum...?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The charity element to the race is a bit ridiculous alright, the number of places that charities get allocated compared to the number of spots left for the ballot after charity, GFA and championship is absolutely insane.

Slow buildup is slow here, up to around 11km LSR and a bit of buggy running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The charity element to the race is a bit ridiculous alright, the number of places that charities get allocated compared to the number of spots left for the ballot after charity, GFA and championship is absolutely insane.

Slow buildup is slow here, up to around 11km LSR and a bit of buggy running.

If i don't get this, I might do Berlin half in April.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If i don't get this, I might do Berlin half in April.

The Brighton full would be another option. It's a couple of weeks before London.

• Advertisement

This!

But that train has left the station now, and as mentioned above there are too many people involved in it to stop it now. I have sort of given up on ever getting a ballot place, hopefully in another few years I will get in on GFA!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Got my GFA in & paid for a couple of months back. Once Dublin is over I'll be planning for London. 1st go at it so hope I'd like to make it a good one. Sub-2:50 hopefully.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BALLOT UPDATE:
    The earliest date you will hear from us regarding your ballot entry into the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon is Monday 10 October and all applicants should have heard the outcome by Monday 17 October.
    If you have not heard from us by Tuesday 18 October, please contact our Helpdesk team on 020 7902 0200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

It's like when you buy a lottery ticket, you convince yourself you're going to win and spend a few minutes spending it.

Now I better go, I have hotels in London to research!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

For anybody who wants a back up the Brighton marathon is going to open back up for a few hours in a couple of weeks, but you have to register an interest.

• Advertisement

If I don't get in, I will try the lottery for Berlin.

Not sure I even want to do a marathon.

Makes no sense I know

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Why am I as nervous as hell this morning? - Checking my inbox every 4 secs! Gonna be a long week if I don't hear soon :'(

Why am I as nervous as hell this morning? - Checking my inbox every 4 secs! Gonna be a long week if I don't hear soon :'(

You can put your details into the page to do a mock payment, that might tell you. I suppose in theory it might not work 100% but I suspect it would.

Www.virginmoneylondonmarathonballot.com/pay

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You can put your details into the page to do a mock payment, that might tell you. I suppose in theory it might not work 100% but I suspect it would.

:(

I know I have a place already, but from looking at that page I think my better half was unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

robinph wrote: »

I know I have a place already, but from looking at that page I think my better half was unsuccessful.
    Me too - could not find my details on their system :(

Now maybe they haven't activated it for certain people but from an IT point of view it would make sense to do it all meaning I didn't get in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Looks like I didn't make the cut :(

Had anyone picked out a backup Spring marathon? Was thinking about Vienna, haven't been there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

If I don't get in, I will try the lottery for Berlin.

Not sure I even want to do a marathon.

I ran Berlin a couple of weeks ago. Great course and the support was incredible. Do it, you won't regret it. Fairly reasonable costs too. Ryanair, Airbnb 198 euro excluding beer... I mean food money.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    I ran Berlin a couple of weeks ago. Great course and the support was incredible. Do it, you won't regret it. Fairly reasonable costs too. Ryanair, Airbnb 198 euro excluding beer... I mean food money.

Looks like i didn't get in either.

Ah well we move on from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Looks like i didn't get in either.

Ah well we move on from here

Manchester also a good one, if you can ignore the screw up with bags this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Have ye gotten emails to say that ye havent gotten in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Looking like no joy for me either, it's off to Barcelona for me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Can you explain why you think you did not get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Manchester also a good one, if you can ignore the screw up with bags this year.

What happened with bags?

SnailsPace wrote: »
    What happened with bags?

Think people were queuing to collect their bags for longer than it took them to run the marathon. Doesn't fill you with confidence after they had just sorted out the issues with having a short course for 3 years as well, although you can argue that wasn't their fault as many other races were effected as well.

Just had my GFA magazine delivered. :D

Think people were queuing to collect their bags for longer than it took them to run the marathon. Doesn't fill you with confidence after they had just sorted out the issues with having a short course for 3 years as well, although you can argue that wasn't their fault as many other races were effected as well.
    SnailsPace wrote: »
    What happened with bags?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/greater-manchester-marathon-queues-bag-11167849

Yeah it was a bit of a mess. I was lucky as I didnt actually have a bag to collect, so I thought it was a great event until I spoke to others about it that evening in the city.
    I think it was the first year they had the baggage zone in the cricket ground instead of the football ground (I might not have that correct) so they obviously got things badly wrong. I would like to think they will make it much better in 2017 as it should be straightforward to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Me too - could not find my details on their system :(

Me too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

RedRunner wrote: »
    Me too :(

Me neither ... lets just hope their IT crowd are rebooting the system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭ooter

I can't remember my password, put in my email address for them to send me my password but I got back "Sorry, but we could not find the page you were looking for."
    Maybe that link is not fully working at present?

Advertisement