Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 7 "The Broken Man" - "Book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Something I noticed in tonight's episode that I hadn't really noticed before is that the show has lost a bit of it's shock factor in the sense that when Arya got stabbed I automatically thought ahh she will be fine. Think the shock factor may be something that the book has been able to maintain while the show is starting to lose, could just be this occasion cause Arya won't be dying anytime soon.

Really enjoyed the episode nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

There's a reason that was such a great episode...........no Daenerys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

One Word: Wow

Fantastic episode, they even said **** the credits. What opened was this happy community chipping away and building a sept in the green hills with Ian McShane at the helm. The ominous back shot of an towering figure and then the spinning camera around to the face of Sandor Clegane. Natural all happy communities in GoT are doomed and the hound is once again unleashed, Pefect. McShane stole the short scenes he was in. The scenes in this little Shire like area were unique, it was almost like a different show altogether but in a good way.

They really captured the mucky messy siege of Riverrun. The rough unorganized, witless and dishonorable Freys. The stubborn hardy battle-worn BlackFish. Could easily watch a series on that siege. Great to see Bronn back and quick as ever.

Natalie Dormer was excellent this week so subtle in her acting to show when shes playing the game and when she's herself. The non-spoken eye contact with Olenna was all the warning the Queen of Thorns needed. Kinda weird Tommen divulged to the high sparrow he wasn't getting any High Garden hoop.

Jon and Sansa's campaign trail was entertaining particularly Bear Island. Jon swinging the Wildlings and Davos again the voice of reason and sense on Bear Island. I imagine Sansa's letter is to LF now realizing the need for numbers

Six entire episodes and not one mention of Dorne. Christ i hope they are not going to pop out of nowhere and stab Cersei or some bollox like that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What scene was this supposed "most fun shooting" scene? The episode was really good, though I don't remember any scenes that stood out as particularly noteworthy.

Also I think LS would give such a huge TV wow factor / shocking plot twist that they'll add the character eventually. It could end up being an episode 9 or 10 end of season cliffhanger, but it's exactly the sort of thing that'd grab attention and get people talking. With nothing more than a hunch I would guess they'll build toward that in the next few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Plot twist: What if "Arya" was Jaqen testing the waif? Like where would she have gotten all that money? Also somewhat against type to openly flaunt herself after disobeying the world's leading assassins. Plus we last saw her hiding in a darkened room? Or is that a little overthinking :pac:

I thought that too but logically they can wear other people's faces but they can't change their height. Jaquen is way taller than Arya so would be very hard to disguise himself as her. In saying that knowing this show they will just paper over that bit of logic if it suits them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Ian McShane would have made a great Euron, a pity we didn't get to see more of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

awec wrote: »
    What scene was this supposed "most fun shooting" scene? The episode was really good, though I don't remember any scenes that stood out as particularly noteworthy.

I'd guess the Sandor/Ray scenes, could see how this would be a directors dream. Lots of male bonding dialogue (and doubtless even more was shot than actually made it to the final cut), filmed on a nice sunny week and probably a lot of good yarntelling between takes.
    I'd expect it'd be more 'fun' than a complicated fight scene, or a triple hanging or performing in front of a green screen pretending theres a dragon there.
    But we possibly expected something more noteworthy because of his comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Ian McShane would have made a great Euron, a pity we didn't get to see more of him.

Agree. He would have been perfect for Euron.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think the show writers having gone off book now, are just going to online forums and picking the most popular fan theories and making them come true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

awec wrote: »

Yeah they confirmed it was the return of the hound. It was a 5 day shoot in Belfast with Ian McShane and Rory McCann plus extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Was quite happy that the North weren't that gung ho about joining the Starks.

I liked that if you didn't know what really happened you could interpret Sansa's story as just marrying people to stay safe. Imagine Lyanna pointing out that Sansa betrayed her father. That could have been amazing.

Have no idea about Arya and the Waif. Still think Arya will die and the Waif will be Arya or something like that.

Anyone else hoping we will get some mention of a wolf pack at the Riverlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think the show writers having gone off book now, are just going to online forums and picking the most popular fan theories and making them come true.

I've said it already but the show is becoming a fan service. Which, as a book reader doesn't bother me too much because GRRM and D+D have said that they're not going to spoil too much from the books (in season 6 anyway) so I can still enjoy a good quality programme and still look forward to TWOW. @AngryGoTFan is a lad on twitter that has been calling the show 'fanfic' for a while and In some instances it's hard to disagree with him. He's worth a follow because he's a book purist that seems to parody the more hardcore purists by pointing out every bad decision the show runners make.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Plot twist: What if "Arya" was Jaqen testing the waif? Like where would she have gotten all that money? Also somewhat against type to openly flaunt herself after disobeying the world's leading assassins. Plus we last saw her hiding in a darkened room? Or is that a little overthinking :pac:

I came to this conclusion last night too. I didn't see Needle but what jumped out most was the way Arya walked to the bridge with her hands behind her back, very unlike her but very similar to Jaqen's walk.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it!

Daith wrote: »
    Was quite happy that the North weren't that gung ho about joining the Starks.

I liked that if you didn't know what really happened you could interpret Sansa's story as just marrying people to stay safe. Imagine Lyanna pointing out that Sansa betrayed her father. That could have been amazing.

Have no idea about Arya and the Waif. Still think Arya will die and the Waif will be Arya or something like that.

Anyone else hoping we will get some mention of a wolf pack at the Riverlands?

As an audience, we have followed the Starks from day one and because of that we have developed a love for them and a wish that everything will work out for them. But for the Houses of the North, many of whom lost a lot of people fighting for the Starks, there's no such sentimentality. The truth is that a lot of Northern Lords were loyal to Robb Stark and Robb broke a vow he made which resulted in the massacre at the red wedding. From a Northerners point of view I can understand why they'd put practicality before loyalty, the burnt hand teaches best.

And yeah, few things would excite me more about Game of Thrones than a mention of a wolf pack terrorising the Riverlands. I wonder how Nymeria would feel about Arya becoming no one...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I always pictured Mance as Ian McShane.

I don't think having Benjen or the Hound come back is fan service, just that the fans were right more than anything. There's been fan theories debunked in the show too over the years.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I always pictured Mance as Ian McShane.

Ian McShane would have made a great Euron. The current Euron is crap.

I dunno who I pictured Mance as, but it wasn't as Ciaran Hinds anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭baza Rakus

Terrible episode, such an anti-climax. It had better get interesting again soon ...

GerB40 wrote: »
    I've said it already but the show is becoming a fan service. Which, as a book reader doesn't bother me too much because GRRM and D+D have said that they're not going to spoil too much from the books (in season 6 anyway) so I can still enjoy a good quality programme and still look forward to TWOW. @AngryGoTFan is a lad on twitter that has been calling the show 'fanfic' for a while and In some instances it's hard to disagree with him. He's worth a follow because he's a book purist that seems to parody the more hardcore purists by pointing out every bad decision the show runners make.

Is it not just that certain theories are coming to fruition now? I mean, they have also killed off certain theories too. Even the most recent example with the Hound, clearly he isnt going to be called on by the High Sparrow to fight the Mountain - it seems like he is going to go off on a revenge trip. If Syrio Forel shows up after removing Jaqen Hagars face then I might start thinking its fanfic, but at the moment Im not seeing that at all.

I would never follow someone like the twitter person you mention - who needs that kind of negativity!! He is just hate watching the show. Its a tv show, its not going to match the books detail by detail - its hard to believe someone would waste their time doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A thought: could Sansa have learned something from Littlefinger?

Rather than sending a raven to him looking for help, could she be tricking Ramsey into believing that she's with Baelish? Taunting him into sallying forth to attack a large army while the Stark forces re-capture an under-manned Winterfell? Or even just taking the Boltons from the rear while driving them onto the lances of the Knights of the Vale?

It'd be a nice bit of misdirection and making use of someone who's loyalties you're unsure of...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I dunno who I pictured Mance as, but it wasn't as Ciaran Hinds anyways.

I thought ooh missed Euron opportunity as soon as I saw him ,

• Advertisement

I would never follow someone like the twitter person you mention - who needs that kind of negativity!! He is just hate watching the show.

Quite a few on here who post 20 times after every episode about how much they dislike it , boggles my mind , I really dislike Outlander , i just stopped watching it , simples

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The lad confirmed on twitter he was Lem from BWB, the yellow cloak is a give away

Really enjoyed this episode, little Lyanna Mormont stole the show- she is the complete opposite of timid Tommen

Hon the Hound!

Also liked how Blackfish referenced the vow Jaime Lannister gave to Caitlyn to release him, which in a way acted as a catalyst for Robb to go against his mother and marry Tailisa- which Lord Glover referenced as reason not to join the Starks as this resulted in the Red Wedding where his best soldiers were killed...

And ya, Ian McShane would been a good Greyjoy but Pilou is a brilliant actor and he will do Euron justice (if writers let him)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Is it not just that certain theories are coming to fruition now? I mean, they have also killed off certain theories too. Even the most recent example with the Hound, clearly he isnt going to be called on by the High Sparrow to fight the Mountain - it seems like he is going to go off on a revenge trip. If Syrio Forel shows up after removing Jaqen Hagars face then I might start thinking its fanfic, but at the moment Im not seeing that at all.

I would never follow someone like the twitter person you mention - who needs that kind of negativity!! He is just hate watching the show. Its a tv show, its not going to match the books detail by detail - its hard to believe someone would waste their time doing that.
    I agree. There are so many crackpot fan theories out there at this stage that no matter what the show (or the books) do, it'll have been according to some fan theory or other. Also as we get closer to the end, the possible permutations narrow down to the point where there will be very little that can't be guessed or predicted.

The show haters are funny really. They continually lambast a show that they continue to watch. It's almost animal farm like; "books good, show bad".

Delighted to see the Hound back but gutted that my plan to set of an air horn when he first appeared on screen did not come to fruition because I was not organised enough

I quite like how the current Euron looks so much like Theon. Great familial resemblance.

How can you say the current Euron is crap at this stage, he has only been onscreen for about 2 minutes!

Sleepy wrote: »

Rather than sending a raven to him looking for help, could she be tricking Ramsey into believing that she's with Baelish? Taunting him into sallying forth to attack a large army while the Stark forces re-capture an under-manned Winterfell? Or even just taking the Boltons from the rear while driving them onto the lances of the Knights of the Vale?

It'd be a nice bit of misdirection and making use of someone who's loyalties you're unsure of...

I like the sound of that. It would really tie in with Sophie Turners assertion that Sansa finally takes control of her own destiny. It could also be a nice little 'counter pink letter'.

"Dear beloved husband, as you may have noticed I've left Winterfell. But don't worry, I shall return, and I'll be bringing some of my friends along. Friends that, unlike the swine that infest my home at the moment, remember where their allegiances lie. The north remembers bastard, a fact which you seem to have overlooked. It is said that my home can hold a siege with 500 men against 10,000. I do hope you have 500 men bastard, we may find the truth behind that statement".

Yours, Lady Sansa Stark of Winterfell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Sleepy wrote: »

There's been stills of the letter and it's addressed to Littlefinger. So unless she's hoping it gets intercepted... but then why wouldn't the Boltons go meet the wildling/North army since they're more poorly equipped.

I think there was foreshadowing in Davos' speech about how Stannis chose the same camp location with its rear fortification of the mountain. I expect the Boltons to meet them out in the battlefield.

Overall, I thought it was a good episode.

I really liked the Riverrun scenes, hopefully the show doesn't mess it up, I was fully expecting the Blackfish to be killed during the parley in a dirty move from a Frey or Bronn in an attempt to wrap up the Riverlands story.

The Hound stuff was great, could watch him all day, the more hound, the better.

No Dany is a good bonus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Also I can't be the only person hoping LSH doesn't appear
    It makes sense in the books but with The Hound, Jon Snow and Benjen (and Blackfish and Edmure to a lesser degree) all making "comebacks" it would be a little ridiculous this season imo
    They could just have it that the BWB have lost their way or something

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Also I can't be the only person hoping LSH doesn't appear
    It makes sense in the books but with The Hound, Jon Snow and Benjen (and Blackfish and Edmure to a lesser degree) all making "comebacks" it would be a little ridiculous this season imo
    They could just have it that the BWB have lost their way or something

Yeah the whole ambiguity over whether somebody is still in the story or not is a bit frustrating. Actually everything since 'hold the door' has seemed too far fetched, by GoT standards of course. I'd say in a few years time, discussion about season 6 will include the term 'jumped the shark'. Season 5 will obviously be 'fùckin Dorne'...

Advertisement