Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 7 "The Broken Man" - "Book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Nody wrote:
    Well Clegane needs to die but I'd guess as a final act he wrenches the helm of the mountain to show him being a zombie forcing an outright fight between the church and the state is the likely outcome here.

O i like the sound of that. Yeah i can't see him living happily ever no matter the outcome.

I loved how they ended his arc in the books, one of the only characters i can think of to truly find some sort of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Yeah I was thinking the same about Arya finding Theon as I thought the iron fleet were in Bravos but the ship captain that Arya was bribing said the fleet was in slaver's bay so I'm not sure now.

Plus why would they be heading back to Westeros?

I wonder if Arya would kill Theon on sight. He'd probably let her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I think Cersei and her trial of combat will be fought between the Mountain for the Crown and Ser Loras for the Faith. When the Mountain has Loras in a position where he will die, the Hound will jump in and save him just like at the Hands Tourney.

You'd miss King Robert though wouldn't you? The roads were safe, the tourneys were fun, there was much less death and destruction all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Was it mentioned that Yara and Theon were in Braavos?? My assumption was that the Ironborn were in Lys or Volantis, so can't see an Arya/Theon encounter. Yara confirmed they're going to Meereen so they've no business being in Braavos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Really enjoyed that episode and this series as a whole. It's been one quality episode after another in my view. Monday is now my favourite day of the week as it means I get to watch a new episode of Game of Thrones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

So the Starks are seen as chumps by more or less all of the Northern Houses. Just seems like poor writing for the sake of stacking the odds in Ramsay's favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

jebidiah wrote: »
    Good episode.

Only thing I'm not happy with is the BwoB killing all those people.

Seemed a bit out of place for them?
    Wasn't there some freys going around killing off villagers near bwb territory in the book? Surely bwb would have taken food etc not just slaughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That was a bit like a primary school kid writing about what they did on their holidays

this happened then this happened and this happened and a man died but I didnt see it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Even with Lady Stoneheart it does seem completely out of character of the BWB to just slaughter innocent people and leave what looked like all their food in situ.

Saw someone mention that the guy on the horse saying "the night is dark and full of terrors" was Thoros of Myr. Unless they changed the actor then no it wasn't Thoros.

Disappointed to see Ian McShane gone so quick as it looked like he could be a great character and could have had some really great one on ones throughout the season. Him meeting the BWB/Thoros Of Myr or Lady Stoneheart could have been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I've pissed and moaned about both this series and the last but this episode can only be described as 'back on track', the aimlessness and poor writing that's plagued the show seems to have vanished and suddenly it feels like an episode with purpose and a grasp of the story. The show runners really need to hang on to the creative team behind this one, because The Broken Man reminded me, and I really needed reminding, what it was that I really liked about this show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I think the guy with the bright yellow cloak was Lem, short for Lemoncloak, of the Brotherhood.

Definitely not Thoros.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Lem

I actually liked this episode and last week's in that both featured some great tense dialogue.

Episode 7 already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Great episode that. Delighted to see The Hound back and Ian Mcshane was brilliant. Definitely seemed more fleshed out in terms of storytelling too and we were saved from Daenerys terrible acting.

Regarding Jamie and River run, can anyone fill me in on what happened again in the books?

Can barely remember it? Is there a link that would bring me up to speed on that? I just remember Brieene bringing Jamie to Ladystoneheart?

Everything is pointing to her reveal. Likely to be the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Blackfish holds Riverrun (it isn't already lost like in the show), the Freys have an incompetent siege going on, threatening to hang Edmure every day etc. Jaime arrives and negotiates peaceful surrender of the castle, but blackfish himself escapes out the river.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I guess the BWB used religion as a justification for killing the people and stealing their food and goods? The septon was singled out for hanging + tthere was a few religious references at the end of their meeting. The last time we saw them they were on the way to becoming more fanatical after the visit of Mel and the selling off of Gendry I think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The hanging is very telling. Lady Stoneheart is also know as the Hangwoman, that's her method of execution for all Freys, Lannisters and Boltons.

The Brotherhood saw the Hound, a famous Lannister ally and hanged the Septon for aiding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

J. Marston wrote: »
    The hanging is very telling. Lady Stoneheart is also know as the Hangwoman, that's her method of execution for all Freys, Lannisters and Boltons.

The Brotherhood saw the Hound, a famous Lannister ally and hanged the Septon for aiding him.

Doesn't make sense that they'd leave without killing him then? Seemed a bit strange tbh.

Why wasn't Arya hiding or at the very least on her guard is what I want to know. I thought they might have been going with the Arya is the waif theory that I've heard but that is a bit too smart for these writers I think, everything in the show just seems to be telegraphed these days.

Blackfish was pretty class though.

Ya seemed very strange she was walking around so confident in the open air. Especially when you consider how the last scene wih her went blowig out the candle and going into darkness.

If it was a dream they probably would have had her wake up this episode and surely not wait another week hair to have her wake from a dream.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maybe she wanted them to think they got her? Risky but better than looking over her shoulder the rest of her life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

While it'd make most sense that Sansa is sending the Raven to LF, any chance it's for the Blackfish to hurry him up to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Grudaire wrote: »
    While it'd make most sense that Sansa is sending the Raven to LF, any chance it's for the Blackfish to hurry him up to help?

Yeah although I feel like its a pretty sudden and sharp u-turn from Sansa to suddenly be asking Littlefinger for help.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. Jon was just saying that's all the help they are going to get, there won't be anyone else joining us, "we fight with the army we have"

So while at the time of watching I felt it was a bit of a quick turn around, I guess she is pretty desperate.

• Advertisement

Maybe she wanted them to think they got her? Risky but better than looking over her shoulder the rest of her life?

The faceless man always seemed to know what arya had done before she would even tell him so I'd imagine if the waif says she killed arya he will know she didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Anyone else think there's an higher chance of LS this season than in previous ones? I know it's said every year, people cite references to the RW as evidence she's coming etc. but there seems to be a bit more going on in the way of 'evidence' this year.

Personally I stopped really considering it when she didn't show just after the RW episode but there's just something about this year that has me thinking it again; scenes in the show, future scenes from trailers, interviews that have been given by some of the cast, the way characters are placed at the moment etc.

I dunno how you all feel about it but if she did turn up I wouldn't be suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Squeled when I saw the hound :) was a brilliant episode.

I hope Arya will be ok and get her revenge and that Theon will get over his trauma but I thought it was very well played out. Maragaery seems to be up to something which I'm glad about because I'd hate for the Sparrow will win.

Loved the Blackfish and Jaime (especially the backhand and Bronn). Looks like the brotherhood has finally turned which while awful (is there allowed to be one happy village) at least we have Sandor back and ready to bash.

Hope Sansa wasn't stupid enough to trust littlefinger again and that letter wasn't to him but it probably is.... sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I genuinely thought it would be Gendry when I saw the blacksmith guy, pleasantly surprised since now we all know what'll happen :)

That girl who played Lady Mormont killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Strider wrote: »
    Anyone else think there's an higher chance of LS this season than in previous ones? I know it's said every year, people cite references to the RW as evidence she's coming etc. but there seems to be a bit more going on in the way of 'evidence' this year.

Personally I stopped really considering it when she didn't show just after the RW episode but there's just something about this year that has me thinking it again; scenes in the show, future scenes from trailers, interviews that have been given by some of the cast, the way characters are placed at the moment etc.

I dunno how you all feel about it but if she did turn up I wouldn't be suprised.

After the final scene of season 4 I had made peace with the fact that they were leaving out such a huge twist. Although Lady Stoneheart hasn't been up to much in the books, bar the odd hanging, I still love the fact that she's a part of the story. I get why people see her as a pointless character but I personally love LS and I hope she has a bigger role in the books to come.

As such I was ragin that she was left out but I felt that halfway through season 5, if she was to be reintroduced it would have been lazy use of the classic 'Game of Thrones twist' and little more than fan service. But I agree with you completely about there being "something" about this season that wouldn't surprise or disappoint me to see her return. The Mountain, The Hound, Jon Snow, Rickon, Osha, Edmure, The Blackfish. All those characters were supposed to be gone but are now back. It's like the writers were waiting until resurrection (or just surprise returns) were essential to the story to start bringing back a slew of characters they knew were going to be returning.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great line of the night for me:

Jaime: A Lannister always-
    Bronn: Don't say it. Don't f**king say it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I thought that Theon and Lana are where Arya is? I thought that's way the ships captain said?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Lackey wrote: »
    I thought that Theon and Lana are where Arya is? I thought that's way the ships captain said?

He said they were in Slaver's Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Swegen!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I really, really enjoyed that episode. So much so I didn't even try and pick up on any faults :pac:

The Hound - Woof woof!

Bronn - 1 minute of air time but what a minute!

The Blackfish - Badass!

Yet again my hopes have been built up for Lady S but just know it'll never happen. The teasing if she doesn't show will be another reason to dislike D and D!

Lady Mormont - cracking scene!

Plot twist: What if "Arya" was Jaqen testing the waif? Like where would she have gotten all that money? Also somewhat against type to openly flaunt herself after disobeying the world's leading assassins. Plus we last saw her hiding in a darkened room? Or is that a little overthinking :pac:

Advertisement