Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 199

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wetwipe65 wrote: »
    Ya it is my opinion obviously, I typed it.

Only re-regged a day and already being a smart arse :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Only took 3 and years from when I posted this!
    Really hope Bisping wins this one! He deserves a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

All caught up now.

UFC 199 is the type of card from top to bottom that really relights the fire as to why you got into combat sports in the first place.

Some absolute warriors on the card and some incredible scraps. It has been a while since a card made me jump off the sofa yelling "holy shít" at least 20 times. :pac:

It's a shame that Ariel and other media sources were removed. Really soured a truly incredible night of fights.

Devastator wrote: »
    Who said it would have to be in a stadium? You're right, Swedish had like a midnight(pre lims) start time for an event so fit US tv times. I cant remember where Calzaghi/Lacy was held but it was late. I think it would be a bit unfair on Bisping to make him fight Weidman in NY, considering Weidman is from NY. Bisping is credited for doing a lot for MMA in the UK, he's one of longest serving UFC fighters currently on the rota and he's just won the title, let him fight in the UK!

Couldn't agree more. UFC are pushing the sport big time in the UK, hence talk of 4 shows per year, next rumoured for November. Bisping has never lost at home so he'd want a fight there for sure.

I'm not a big fan of a midnight start stadium event. Stockholm didn't work for me. Atmosphere wasn't the best and sitting at home watching is alot different to watching live at those times. Stick it on FightPass, also getting a massive push, at 5pm start. The yanks will tune in.

Can't see 205 having more than 3 championship fights. Conor, Jon Jones and another. Weidman vs Rockhold would be a superb main card filler and with Bisping vs Jacare potentially being London in the same month, sets the winners up nicely for early 2017.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The card is on 3e right now im watching for a 3rd time here epic card most knockdowns every one a card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Gamebred wrote: »
    The card is on 3e right now im watching for a 3rd time here epic card most knockdowns every one a card.

Yeah. Poirier looks an absolute animal at LW. Surely looking at a top 5 opponent now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Faber to retire from competition, leave TAM and move to Dublin to become wrestling coach at SBG.

Or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

bit off the wall here but why not do a double header ppv in ireland/uk with 2 cards 1 in irish stadium 1 in uK stadium

Ireland McGregor Headliner

Uk Bisping Headliner

both guaranteed sell outs

do alternative fights live for the ppv

would the extra revenue on seat sales cover the loss of ppv stateside if it was to early?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

would the extra revenue on seat sales cover the loss of ppv stateside if it was to early?

McGergor capable of 1mill+ PPV buys, no way they could make up that loss with bums on seats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

feck all profit from stadium shows aswel apparently and they seem like a pain in the hole to organize! my dream card for them is 205 in msg, conor-edgar, bisping-weidman and jones rumble. *drools*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

McGergor capable of 1mill+ PPV buys, no way they could make up that loss with bums on seats

does him and aldo 2 do 1mill buys tho i dont think so Aldo has been pimping himself out for the fight since he got beat no real interest in it

different if its Frankie in the Garden

doesnt have to be either could be a lightweight fight

different if its Frankie in the Garden

Conor v Frankie anywhere will sell. Not sure about Aldo 2. Can't see Conor fighting in Europe for along time anyway unless he goes on a 3 or 4 fight losing streak. I'm out of here now as this isn't a McG thread

McGregor and Bisping in that stadium in wales with the roof would be epic.

How did Breese do the other night, I know he was beat but I missed the fight. An awful lot of hype but he looked average at best when I did see him few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

How did Breese do the other night, I know he was beat but I missed the fight. An awful lot of hype but he looked average at best when I did see him few months ago

They kinda nullified each other.

I gave Breese the first round but then Strickland the last two.

He controlled the centre more and put on more pressure. Close fight albeit not that great to watch.

Gamebred wrote: »
    McGregor and Bisping in that stadium in wales with the roof would be epic.

Not much point in using the Millennium/Principality when London would be much easier for everyone to get to and Wembley has a similar capacity with a much greater reputation, even in the US.

Not much point in using the Millennium/Principality when London would be much easier for everyone to get to and Wembley has a similar capacity with a much greater reputation, even in the US.

Has it got a roof? weather being the main reason I'd use the millenium.

thing about the millennium though is it takes our lovely weather out of the equation, having a 80k+ ufc stadium event washed out is a risk they wont take!

Lads Wembley has a roof too. And a larger capacity than millennium.

In saying that, I think stadiums are too big for the little octagon in the centre. I've gone off the idea since UFC 193. The Vegas arena is probably the ideal max size

Mellor wrote: »
    Lads Wembley has a roof too. And a larger capacity than millennium.

In saying that, I think stadiums are too big for the little octagon in the centre. I've gone off the idea since UFC 193. The Vegas arena is probably the ideal max size

i thought it only closed partially and left the pitch exposed?

• Advertisement

Depp wrote: »
    i thought it only closed partially and left the pitch exposed?

Really?
    Feels a bit daft to build a billion dollar renovation with a retractable roof, that doesn't fully close. :pac:

Appears to be the case though. It might be possible to tarp over the partial opening. still though, back for of the stadium, any stadium is a crappy view
    MjEk-i.gif

Really?
    Feels a bit daft to build a billion dollar renovation with a retractable roof, that doesn't fully close. :pac:

Appears to be the case though. It might be possible to tarp over the partial opening. still though, back for of the stadium, any stadium is a crappy view
    MjEk-i.gif

yeah its tough enough to see a football or rugby match from the nosebleeds never mind a 30 foot cage! dont really see the point of stadium shows other than a ''look how many tickets we can sell'' sort of thing. for the record croker would still be cool to see!

Dont know how to embed this but worth a watch anyways pretty funny from the main event 'No touch? I'll touch you in a second mother f*cker'

https://streamable.com/aw5b?t=1.5

Depp wrote: »
    yeah its tough enough to see a football or rugby match from the nosebleeds never mind a 30 foot cage! dont really see the point of stadium shows other than a ''look how many tickets we can sell'' sort of thing. for the record croker would still be cool to see!

To be fair, Ethihad in Melbourne is simply massive, the pitch is bigger than Croker or Wembly. So the view would be slightly better. And the atmosphere for a McGregor title fight would be unreal. But a large part of it is the novelty of a landmark event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Gamebred wrote:
    Dont know how to embed this but worth a watch anyways pretty funny from the main event 'No touch? I'll touch you in a second mother f*cker'

Haha nice catch I missed that one, he's a funny guy I'll give him that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Rockhold really went off on one during the post fight presser...will Bisping retain the belt long enough to see a rematch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FondGiddyAustraliankestrel-size_restricted.gif

Interesting side glance from Henderson.I would love to see Bisping take his head off,cannot stand that guy and his multiple elbows to an out cold guy was one of the scummiest things i seen in mma.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I know you were there so would obviously have a much better idea of what it was actually like, but man that venue looked awful on TV. Plastic garden chairs on the floor and it looked like you'd need a cracking pair of binoculars to see anything but 2 dots in the cage from more than a few rows back. I'd imagine the atmosphere was electric with the way things went that night however.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

newbbieb wrote: »

Interesting side glance from Henderson.I would love to see Bisping take his head off,cannot stand that guy and his multiple elbows to an out cold guy was one of the scummiest things i seen in mma.

It's funny how few actually mention this but you are right (haven't read all of thread either though)
    The fact that dan is a legend and a hero to many makes it ok it seems
    If it were a less known fighter folks would be calling for a ban surely?
    I will say at the time I was delighted to see lombard put to sleep and would be no matter who he faced tbh and herb should have got in there a little quicker too imo

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    I know you were there so would obviously have a much better idea of what it was actually like, but man that venue looked awful on TV. Plastic garden chairs on the floor and it looked like you'd need a cracking pair of binoculars to see anything but 2 dots in the cage from more than a few rows back. I'd imagine the atmosphere was electric with the way things went that night however.
    You've described it perfectly tbh. The multisided screen above the octagon was the best screen I've ever seen. however, it helped as much as possible. The distances were too big to overcome.

Seats were exactly as they look. $5 plastic one piece garden furniture. I can't think of any way they could have done it differently either. It a fight happened in Croker/Wembly, the seats will prob be the same

Advertisement