Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 199

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Gamb!t wrote: »
    That's what Im talking about.

But why are you talking about it? It was literally nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Its on again in 10 mins on bt,

IckyUnacceptableDogwoodclubgall.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Just re watched the presser, why did they let bisping get soo pissed, especially with Rockhold and Hendo there.

Also dom cruz is just I don't know how to say it right " I said last night I'd like to see him hurt again", which is on retrospect just stupid but he's a hard guy to want to see do well.

I hope Hendo retires on this note,but it must be said Lombard himself is taking some awful trauma in his last 2 fights anymore and he is in serious health trouble hes 38 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Thought that was probably Max's most impressive performance yet.Alright it wasn't a massacre like the Cub fight but he showed impressive tdd and control,he seems massive for 145 too,be really interested to see how Frankie would deal with him,that is a fight i would love to see.

Think Conor is always gonna be a bad match up for him though,because he is not gonna look for takedowns and i think Conor just has superior stand up.

• Advertisement

newbbieb wrote: »
    Thought that was probably Max's most impressive performance yet.Alright it wasn't a massacre like the Cub fight but he showed impressive tdd and control,he seems massive for 145 too,be really interested to see how Frankie would deal with him,that is a fight i would love to see.

Think Conor is always gonna be a bad match up for him though,because he is not gonna look for takedowns and i think Conor just has superior stand up.

Good job he wont have to fight Conor anytime again at 145 :pac:

24 years of age he is one serious talent him and yair rodriguez are going to fight for that title against each other at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If he'd beaten a black fighter and called them "******", would he get the pass everyone here is so keen to give him?

That's a completely different as its a black slur towards a black fighter. Rockhold is not gay (that I'm aware)
    It's more a calling a black fighter a "chinaman" or some thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

Jesus christ, even the MMA forum is full of the easily offended.. Get a grip lads seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cool image:

CkNQpXFXEAEeoek.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

wonder what the dynamic between bisping and cormier will be next time theyre on fox

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gamebred wrote: »
    Its on again in 10 mins on bt,

IckyUnacceptableDogwoodclubgall.gif

Holloway was trying to finish the fighter like that hoping to get a 50k bonus. Unfortunately it didn't work for him :D:D

On the subject of bisping saying ******. I don't see much wrong with him saying it when arguing, I don't think he meant it at all as a derogatory term towarsd homosexuals, it's just a slang word that has been used in guys abusing each other for decades at this stage. Second he said it he realized that it was a mistake, people should cut the guy a break and stop being so sensitive.

Depp wrote: »
    wonder what the dynamic between bisping and cormier will be next time theyre on fox

I'd say good. DC seems to be very professional when he is being an analyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Finally getting to sit and watch the rest of the card now (only having seen the main event up to this point! Couple of classics I believe :))

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Depp wrote: »
    and it wasnt a big flurry of strikes or anything it was three precise shots, body, chin, let him back up and chin again, game over, an outrageously skillful finish, bravo michael bisping

I love the little half-step he delays himself waiting for Rockhold to get back to his feet, showing his experience & fight-maturity. Too often we see fighters knock someone down & in their eagerness to finish the fight end up in their guard. Thrilled for Bisping, a nice cap for his career!

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I love the little half-step he delays himself waiting for Rockhold to get back to his feet, showing his experience & fight-maturity. Too often we see fighters knock someone down & in their eagerness to finish the fight end up in their guard. Thrilled for Bisping, a nice cap for his career!

yeah standing back and not diving in is such a minute detail but its where the fight was won, such a lovely finish

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Enjoyed the card, thought Rockhold was very poor, that was the third time he had over committed and left his chin hanging out there, Bisping timed it well that time and finished the fight, fair play to him. Seems like Rockhold did not take him seriously enough.

Nice performance again by Holloway, he is really the future of that division. Shame he couldn't get the KO but impressive none the less.

Could be the end for Faber, he may focus purely on the coaching side of things, really likeable guy. Good way for Hendo to go out too (which I hope he does!)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I hope they do Bisping v Weidman in New York as Bisping's first defense.

I know people will say Jacare is the most deserving, and yes he's 6-1 in the UFC with that defeat coming via split decision to a juiced up Romero, but when I look at the fights a little bit deeper I don't think it's as impressive as it seems. 2 of those wins came against Camozzi who is scarcely a top 20 fighter in the division and was cut after a 0-4 run and then was 0-5 in the UFC after the 2nd Jacare fight. Carmont was cut after a 0-3 run in 2014. A win over Mousasi is very solid to be fair, and the Belfort win was clinical.

You look at Weidman, who also has 1 loss (and 9 wins) in the UFC, with the defeat coming to Rockhold. However, some of his wins have come against a prime Anderson Silva (x2), Maia, Machida, Munoz and Belfort.

Jacare seems like a good guy so it would be crap on him, especially as the UFC offered him the shot this time but he couldn't accept due to injury. And yeah, I'm a little biased as Bisping v Jacare would be nowhere near as fun as Bisping v Weidman in terms of promo and hype. But I'd just like to see him beat get a W over a top guy before a shot. Jacare v Rockhold (a rematch from the Strikeforce days) would be a great match-up IMO.

Bisping v Weidman is the fight to make for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,602 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bisping v Weidman should definitely be set for NY and if the planets can align, it could be co-main to Conor v Frankie.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    I hope they do Bisping v Weidman in New York as Bisping's first defense.

I know people will say Jacare is the most deserving, and yes he's 6-1 in the UFC with that defeat coming via split decision to a juiced up Romero, but when I look at the fights a little bit deeper I don't think it's as impressive as it seems. 2 of those wins came against Camozzi who is scarcely a top 20 fighter in the division and was cut after a 0-4 run and then was 0-5 in the UFC after the 2nd Jacare fight. Carmont was cut after a 0-3 run in 2014. A win over Mousasi is very solid to be fair, and the Belfort win was clinical.

You look at Weidman, who also has 1 loss (and 9 wins) in the UFC, with the defeat coming to Rockhold. However, some of his wins have come against a prime Anderson Silva (x2), Maia, Machida, Munoz and Belfort.

Jacare seems like a good guy so it would be crap on him, especially as the UFC offered him the shot this time but he couldn't accept due to injury. And yeah, I'm a little biased as Bisping v Jacare would be nowhere near as fun as Bisping v Weidman in terms of promo and hype. But I'd just like to see him beat get a W over a top guy before a shot. Jacare v Rockhold (a rematch from the Strikeforce days) would be a great match-up IMO.

Bisping v Weidman is the fight to make for me.

May be a bit of wishful thinking here but I'd like to see Bisping defend vs Jacare in the UK. He's not likely to hold onto the belt very long and it would be great for promotion of the sport in the UK. Not likely to be a PPV but with a few title fights on fightpass, not beyond the realms of possibility.

Then stick Rockhold vs Weidman in the main card at MSG. Winner gets the title fight. Still plenty of hype for that fight.

while he's champ very little possibility of bisping fighting off ppv, his mouth is a goldmine adn its only going to ramp up now he has the strap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

darced wrote: »

Why would it have to be in the UK though? It'll sell out a large arena no matter where it is.

If its in the UK they will lose a ****load in PPV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

John_D80 wrote:
    If its in the UK they will lose a ****load in PPV's.

John_D80 wrote:
    Why would it have to be in the UK though? It'll sell out a large arena no matter where it is.

Agreed if they couldn't get mcgregor a stadium show here no way bisping gets one.

Would drive mcg nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

darced wrote: »

Who said it would have to be in a stadium? You're right, Swedish had like a midnight(pre lims) start time for an event so fit US tv times. I cant remember where Calzaghi/Lacy was held but it was late. I think it would be a bit unfair on Bisping to make him fight Weidman in NY, considering Weidman is from NY. Bisping is credited for doing a lot for MMA in the UK, he's one of longest serving UFC fighters currently on the rota and he's just won the title, let him fight in the UK!

Devastator wrote:
    Who said it would have to be in a stadium? You're right, Swedish had like a midnight(pre lims) start time for an event so fit US tv times. I cant remember where Calzaghi/Lacy was held but it was late. I think it would be a bit unfair on Bisping to make him fight Weidman in NY, considering Weidman is from NY. Bisping is credited for doing a lot for MMA in the UK, he's one of longest serving UFC fighters currently on the rota and he's just won the title, let him fight in the UK!

Wouldn't Bisping make a lot more money fighting on PPV in Madison square garden though. I'd say he'd prefer that, a historical night for mma it will be too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Wetwipe65 wrote: »
    Wouldn't Bisping make a lot more money fighting on PPV in Madison square garden though. I'd say he'd prefer that, a historical night for mma it will be too

Thats just YOUR opinion though and you can't say what he would prefer!

He's the champion now so he can finally start to make a few demands that go along with being a champion. Loads of fighters want on MSG card, after the other champions and PPV cuts there could be very little left for Bisping, whereas he could headline another PPV as champion and take the majority of PPV split.

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote:
    Thats just YOUR opinion though and you can't say what he would prefer!

Ya it is my opinion obviously, I typed it. You can't say what he would prefer either?! Unless of course, only you are allowed to have an opinion?

He'd prefer to make as much money as possible, let's be honest he's not going to be a champion or even a fighter for very long

Advertisement