Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

September1 wrote: »
    It seems that Lycamobile was fined in Belgium https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=02b3ea8c-12f3-4eb9-998d-355e422d80a7 but it also seems that roaming regulation are quite bad for MVNOs currently.

Just to note that Lyca Ireland do offer free EU roaming on some of their bundles now:

2017-12-06_102226.png

435403.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

i wouldn't go back to them with their sneaky 'auto renewal'

got stung once with it on a lost mobile and they didn't offer to refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

mikeysmith wrote: »
    i wouldn't go back to them with their sneaky 'auto renewal'

got stung once with it on a lost mobile and they didn't offer to refund

What’s sneaky about it?

I ordered a sim last week. Got charged but haven’t received sim yet.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    What’s sneaky about it?

you have to uncheck auto renewal every time you buy an addon or topup

it should be the cusomer who decides whether he wishes to auto renew

mikeysmith wrote: »
    you have to uncheck auto renewal every time you buy an addon or topup

it should be the cusomer who decides whether he wishes to auto renew

But if you have to untick it then you are deciding :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

But if you have to untick it then you are deciding :rolleyes:

sure if you're not in a hurry and remember to untick it every time

it's not made obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

any news on when lyca is getting 4g or is that not happening anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

Is anyone having trouble topping online with a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

What’s sneaky about it?

Same here, ordered sim, end of Nov, still waiting, online help is very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

CraftySue wrote: »

I received yesterday a sim ordered a week ago. It is the third time I ordered and never had any issues. Maybe better to reorder it.

• Advertisement

CraftySue wrote: »

Hmmm may have to go elsewhere. Need it for Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Does anyone know when you buy a SIM for €7.50 do you get free calls for the month an still keep the €7.50 for other calls, premium rate etc.. or even just to rollover to the next month, or does the €7.50 go in paying for the months worth of calls? Can't see from the website and they don't appear to have a live chat function to ask..

Morby wrote: »
    Does anyone know when you buy a SIM for €7.50 do you get free calls for the month an still keep the €7.50 for other calls, premium rate etc.. or even just to rollover to the next month, or does the €7.50 go in paying for the months worth of calls? Can't see from the website and they don't appear to have a live chat function to ask..

The €7.50 offer is the Ireland Plus bundle for half price (normally €15).

So what you are actually buying is the Ireland Plus bundle and they are giving you a free sim. The Ireland Plus bundle gives you free calls to all Irish landlines and mobiles, unlimited texts and 15GB data. You do not keep the €7.50 after - it is the price of the bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The €7.50 offer is the Ireland Plus bundle for half price (normally €15).

So what you are actually buying is the Ireland Plus bundle and they are giving you a free sim. The Ireland Plus bundle gives you free calls to all Irish landlines and mobiles, unlimited texts and 15GB data. You do not keep the €7.50 after - it is the price of the bundle.

I think he may be referring to the €15 every two months that some people are doing.
    €15 on month one, keep the credit and use it to pay for the 2nd month.

Suckit wrote: »
    I think he may be referring to the €15 every two months that some people are doing.
    €15 on month one, keep the credit and use it to pay for the 2nd month.

But he said €7.50, so can’t be the top up deal you refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

It was the half price €7.50 offer, thanks for the clarification guys.

16 days later and no SIM card so told them to refund me. Will probably have to block it with visa as Lyca seem to be completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

16 days later and no SIM card so told them to refund me. Will probably have to block it with visa as Lyca seem to be completely useless.

I remember when i ordered one and they sent out 5. I wasn't waiting long either so I do not know what happened with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

I found it easier to pick up a €1 Lycamobile SIM from a newsagent-type shop and register/port myself in my own good time. At least then you're managing the move on your own terms and less likely to interact with customer service.

That said, texts sent from herself's phone(s) to me seem to go missing if the text is over 160 chars, i.e. if the text is split for sending. Could be my end though (Virgin).

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

It's better to go to an Indian/Asian shop and pick a lyca sim for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

I ordered a sim on their website on December 3rd on that €7.50 deal...still no sign of it. Called them yesterday evening. Their call centre must be in the Philippines, girl couldn't understand my Dublin accent at all and there was a delay in the line. Told me to call back today, bit of a joke.

By all the reviews here, it seems you really do get what you pay for with them.

I ordered a sim on their website on December 3rd on that €7.50 deal...still no sign of it. Called them yesterday evening. Their call centre must be in the Philippines, girl couldn't understand my Dublin accent at all and there was a delay in the line. Told me to call back today, bit of a joke.

By all the reviews here, it seems you really do get what you pay for with them.

Yeah. Visa chargeback for me.

Signed up with 48months instead and they seem pretty efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

Finally got it sorted yesterday. Ended up just picking up a sim myself. Called them and they activated the plan on it.

I hope porting my number now will not be another ordeal.

Any idea how to stop their spammy texts? When i go to the website it just says
    https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/faq
    How can I stop receiving unwanted texts or SPAM?
    When you receive a text from a company you have not given your number to, this is called SPAM. Unfortunately, Lycamobile is unable to prevent you from receiving these unwanted messages, unless you want to ban all text messaging. These companies have sophisticated ways of obtaining mobile phone numbers. One way to avoid SPAM is to be careful about what sites you give your mobile number to.

But the spam is coming from Lycamobile. Lotto offers, competitions, bonus credit etc..

Becoming unbearable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Suckit wrote: »
    Any idea how to stop their spammy texts? When i go to the website it just says
    https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/faq

But the spam is coming from Lycamobile. Lotto offers, competitions, bonus credit etc..

Becoming unbearable

Do you not have an option on your phone to block numbers.If I long press a text I get an option to block that number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

But the spam is coming from Lycamobile. Lotto offers, competitions, bonus credit
    Is there an option in the Lyca portal to turn off marketing stuff?

If not, here's a paragraph from their T&C
    Lycamobile and other Lyca companies may contact you by post, telephone, e-mail or SMS to let you know about products and services offered by Lycamobile and other Lyca group companies, including any special offers and promotions, which may interest you. By entering into this Agreement, you explicitly consent to receiving this information or being contacted in this way. If you do not wish to receive this information or be contacted in this way, you may at any time, free of any charge, opt out of this direct marketing by asking Lycamobile to put your name on a designated list. You may make this request by contacting the Customer Services Department or by sending an e-mail to unsubscribe@lycamobile.ie

NATLOR wrote: »
    Do you not have an option on your phone to block numbers.If I long press a text I get an option to block that number

Yeah, but i think it is the same number to get the non-marketing notifications too. So i did not want to block it.
    Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is there an option in the Lyca portal to turn off marketing stuff?

If not, here's a paragraph from their T&C

I will contact them and see what they say.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

3g or 4g now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

copeyhagen wrote: »
    3g or 4g now?

3g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Travelling to UK Thursday for a few days.

Want to have access to data.

What's the simplest way of getting that? Is there a data roaming bundle?

edit: I'm on the Ireland Plus bundle and I just read that I can use my bundle allowance while roaming. Another one of those inconvenient laws put in by that nasty crowd in Brussels.

Advertisement