Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Suckit wrote: »
    Which Bundle is that?
    Is it Ireland Plus?
    I never get to keep my credit, so i am guessing it is a different bundle.

No bundle for first month,just top-up by €15

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

doxy wrote: »
    Crap. That's the only reason I'm with them. What's the cheapest network for roaming in the states now? I don't need data.

Vodafone. €3 a day gives you free calls and texts and 200MB of data back to Ireland.

However to be honest, I'd considering rethinking your approach.

Use data for whatsapp texts, imeesage, facebook messneger and VoIP calls, rather then using traditional calls and texts. Then use a 12GB Three UK SIM while in the US.

Much more useful in the US IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would it not be even cheaper to just pick up a USA PAYG sim or do they even have those over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Which Bundle is that?
    Is it Ireland Plus?
    I never get to keep my credit, so i am guessing it is a different bundle.

Month one you dont buy a bundle,you just top up by 15 euro, that stays in your account plus 10% bonus credit. This gives you 10g data and free any network calls.use viber,whats app etc for messaging will leave you with your 15 euro intact at the end of month one to use to buy the Ireland plus bundle for month 2 thus 2 months have only cost 15 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks. I topped up last night and did not enter any code like i normally do.

So i can use this credit as normal, but not text if i want to keep the credit (up to €1.50)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Is that Lycamobile that gives the first month free? Never saw that before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

jAJMXGK.jpg?1

Thanks. I topped up last night and did not enter any code like i normally do.

So i can use this credit as normal, but not text if i want to keep the credit (up to €1.50)?

Correct,just use WhatsApp or messenger for texts

Thanks, can i use the €1.50? Or does it 'activate' the credit once i send one text?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks, can i use the €1.50? Or does it 'activate' the credit once i send one text?

If you send a text to a non lyca number, it comes out of the €1.50 first and when that runs out, it comes out of the credit.

I found that I was only sending 4 or 5 SMS a month (most on whatsapp, etc.) and so I never came close to using the main credit. In fact the bonus credit has continued to build up after a few months and I've got €3 worth of it now!

So I don't really worry about the SMS any more. Of course others might not be the same, but most people are on whatsapp these days.

• Advertisement

Perfect thanks. Unfortunately 1 person does not have whatsapp or viber, and i have to text them today. I was hoping that it would not activate the credit (or whichever term is better). Thanks again.

Perfect thanks. Unfortunately 1 person does not have whatsapp or viber, and i have to text them today. I was hoping that it would not activate the credit (or whichever term is better). Thanks again.

Do they have Facebook messenger?
    Maybe convince them to change to WhatsApp :)

wiz569 wrote: »
    Do they have Facebook messenger?
    Maybe convince them to change to WhatsApp :)
    I would if possible, but unfortunately he has an old style 'dumb' phone (By choice).
    I think he does not like FB(I), Google and the CIA knowing when he goes to the toilet :D

I would if possible, but unfortunately he has an old style 'dumb' phone (By choice).
    I think he does not like FB(I), Google and the CIA knowing when he goes to the toilet :D

Ironically SMS isn't encrypted and thus trivial for NSA, etc. to read.

Whatsapp on the other hand is using pretty sophisticated encryption technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Can you not just throw an extra fiver on to give you buffer for such texts?

cormie wrote: »
    Can you not just throw an extra fiver on to give you buffer for such texts?

Yes you can. Or if you end up using say €2 of the €15. You can throw another €5 on it and then use €15 of the €17 available credit to buy the bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

bk wrote: »
    Vodafone. €3 a day gives you free calls and texts and 200MB of data back to Ireland.

However to be honest, I'd considering rethinking your approach.

Use data for whatsapp texts, imeesage, facebook messneger and VoIP calls, rather then using traditional calls and texts. Then use a 12GB Three UK SIM while in the US.

Much more useful in the US IME.

I get you. I really want to be able to make and receive calls with my Irish number though.

If I got the UK 3 data sim, and got a meteor sim that allows calls over wifi to my Irish number (dual sim phone), would that work for free roaming? I realise I'd be using a mobile data connection with the 3 sim rather than actual wifi, so I'm not sure if that would actually work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Last year I used the Google Hangouts Dialler and rang landlines and mobiles at home for 4 solid weeks, as long as I had wifi myself. Person I was ringing didn't have to have internet.. Topped up the dialler with $10 on day 1 and there's still a few $ on it now 11 months on. It's also great for dialling US freephone numbers and booking restaurants when we're out there.

All US numbers were free with it, landlines at home were around 8c a minute I think. Didn't really pay that much heed to the actually cost per minute because the $10 was going down so slowly.

I've been using it also to ring any international landlines I need to now I'm back home. Just looked now and it was $2 or so credit when I left USA and after using it all winter whenever I needed to, balance is gone down to $1.66.

There was something funny about being charged € for $ credit or something like that but it was grand, much handier for me that getting a new phone number for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

doxy wrote: »
    I get you. I really want to be able to make and receive calls with my Irish number though.

If I got the UK 3 data sim, and got a meteor sim that allows calls over wifi to my Irish number (dual sim phone), would that work for free roaming? I realise I'd be using a mobile data connection with the 3 sim rather than actual wifi, so I'm not sure if that would actually work?

WiFi calling only works on certain phones and only on meteor and eir bill pay plans and only over WiFi

So unlikely that your plan will work, you should look into hangouts dialer perhaps instead

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Hi, Going to the US soon and I was very disappointed to see Lyca has ended their free roaming. Thanks to here, I just installed Google Hangouts and I have WhatsAp, so I’m covered for outgoing calls and texts.

I saw mention of the 3 UK data sim, but I couldn’t find how to get one in Ireland.

Finally, I’m currently on 48 and their US roaming charges are brutal about €2/min for receiving calls, I’ll be gone for almost 3 weeks and I get the occasional work related call, this could add up. Any better deals for roaming, at least for receiving calls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Bozacke wrote: »
    Hi, Going to the US soon and I was very disappointed to see Lyca has ended their free roaming. Thanks to here, I just installed Google Hangouts and I have WhatsAp, so I’m covered for outgoing calls and texts.

I saw mention of the 3 UK data sim, but I couldn’t find how to get one in Ireland.

Finally, I’m currently on 48 and their US roaming charges are brutal about €2/min for receiving calls, I’ll be gone for almost 3 weeks and I get the occasional work related call, this could add up. Any better deals for roaming, at least for receiving calls?

No, 48 is the best deal you can get in America save picking up a us SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I saw mention of the 3 UK data sim, but I couldn’t find how to get one in Ireland
    Mymemory sell them here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Is there no longer any sms bundle add on? Used to get it after topping up by €15 but can't see it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

I've been with LYCA for a year and found the service excellent & used it in Europe & the UK.
    last week however I found that the ability to call Irish numbers abroad was gone.
    I still think the 15€ deal is good value but will need to use it in the UK
    Having looked at the site would it make more sense to cancel the bundle and instead get a 15€ top up which will allow me use the credit in the UK?
    Or am I missing something?

top-up
    €15
    Unlimited National Calls
    10GB Data
    Keep €15 Credit
    Unlimited texts to all Lycamobile numbers in Ireland
    Get 10% Extra Credit*

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

dwasol wrote: »
    I've been with LYCA for a year and found the service excellent & used it in Europe & the UK.
    last week however I found that the ability to call Irish numbers abroad was gone.
    I still think the 15€ deal is good value but will need to use it in the UK
    Having looked at the site would it make more sense to cancel the bundle and instead get a 15€ top up which will allow me use the credit in the UK?
    Or am I missing something?

top-up
    €15
    Unlimited National Calls
    10GB Data
    Keep €15 Credit
    Unlimited texts to all Lycamobile numbers in Ireland
    Get 10% Extra Credit*

What you have seen on their website, that you have posted above, is right. Cancel the bundle. Top-up with €15. You get the €15 credit and all the benefits (calls, data, etc., as mentioned in your post).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aFISHionado

Hi,

I was about to get a lycamobile plan but the button to purchase the 15 euro plan was literally not linked to anything, nothing happened when I clicked it, so I did a little research and on numerous review sites like trustpilot they have 1 star out of 5 (lowest possible rating from hundreds of people)

Reading some comments here, no one seems to have had a problem with them? also I live in Co. Dublin, would I get 4G if I did go with Lycamobile?

Thanks for reading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Hi,

I was about to get a lycamobile plan but the button to purchase the 15 euro plan was literally not linked to anything, nothing happened when I clicked it, so I did a little research and on numerous review sites like trustpilot they have 1 star out of 5 (lowest possible rating from hundreds of people)

Reading some comments here, no one seems to have had a problem with them? also I live in Co. Dublin, would I get 4G if I did go with Lycamobile?

Thanks for reading

You have to order a sim and register on the site to purchase a bundle
    There is no 4g with Lyca yet

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

NATLOR wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for reading

You have to order a sim and register on the site to purchase a bundle
    There is no 4g with Lyca yet
    No you won't get 4G anywhere with lyca as they don't offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Hi,

Thanks for reading

I would read back further if I was you there by no means perfect . No roaming on bundles and dreadful customer service and no 4g in 2017 . But however they are cheap and I suppose you pay for what you get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Advertisement