Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

does lyca still not have 4g ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

NikoTopps wrote: »
    does lyca still not have 4g ?

No 4g, probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    No 4g, probably never will.

Will probably get it a few months after 5G rolls out. https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/ireland-5g

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭maurice1

zell12 wrote: »
    That's a long time ago.
    I don't remember getting that in 2016 for example.
    Only 'switch to Lyca' credit

It was running until September 2017 according to https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104005498&postcount=1298https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104005498&postcount=1298

When i topped up in November 2017 i got it and didn't get the 10% free when I topped up in January 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is roaming free with lyca as per the free roaming eu rules?
    their website does not say anything about free roaming

edit - found roaming is included in some of their plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Can you use your mobile phone as a wifi hotpot with Lyca? Just to get the Internet on my Samsung Tablet.

BO-JANGLES wrote: »
    Can you use your mobile phone as a wifi hotpot with Lyca? Just to get the Internet on my Samsung Tablet.

No, i don't think Lyca allow tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

BO-JANGLES wrote:

no. unless you know how to bypass TTL restrictions.So it could be done but its not "works out of the box" method.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

BO-JANGLES wrote: »

YES. works fine always for me.

Lyca sucks though, people tell me I often go straight to voicemail and never get texts from some vodafone numbers. Anyone else?

Landed in Spain.
    Received text from lyca to dial *175# to set my data limit while roaming.
    Says to set in £sterling . Never seen this before.
    Am on the €15/month deal for another 2 weeks.
    Anyone else seen this?

• Advertisement

bigmike99 wrote: »
    YES. works fine always for me.

Lyca sucks though, people tell me I often go straight to voicemail and never get texts from some vodafone numbers. Anyone else?

Yep, I have loads of issues with texts, people not getting mine, and vice versa. Not as many, but enough issues where some people can't ring me and vice versa.
    Support is useless. Facebook support is even worse.
    maurice1 wrote: »
    Landed in Spain.
    Received text from lyca to dial *175# to set my data limit while roaming.
    Says to set in £sterling . Never seen this before.
    Am on the €15/month deal for another 2 weeks.
    Anyone else seen this?
    Weird, going from Ireland to Spain and it changes to pound? :confused:
    Why not Ruble or Krone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Anybody else's service down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Can anybody confirm if there are now roaming charges when travelling to USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

mossy464 wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm if there are now roaming charges when travelling to USA?

There are roaming charges, you can't use any of your included minutes or data in the US. You will be charged roaming rates on each, which were quite expensive from what I remember.

My Mother arrived in Spain last night and has no credit or signal to make/send whatsapp or normal calls/texts.

She is on the €15 Ireland Plus bundle that says EU Roaming. Does it need to be activated, or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

Suckit wrote: »
    My Mother arrived in Spain last night and has no credit or signal to make/send whatsapp or normal calls/texts.

when you say no signal- do you mean she cannot connect to any of Spanish networks?

flintash wrote: »
    when you say no signal- do you mean she cannot connect to any of Spanish networks?

Not sure, but she has been there before and had no problem connecting.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Suckit wrote: »
    Not sure, but she has been there before and had no problem connecting.

Sounds like international roaming isn't turned on on the phone. It is in the settings.

Was in Spain last month and got this text when I connected. Did your mother get this?

When you dial *175# it asks you to set your balance in £stg. Tried a couple of settings but didn't work. However data connected fine from my €15 purchased addon.
    You do have to play with the "Sim toolkit"as in: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102780154

Hope this helps

I just asked her if she got those messages and she did. I tried to login to her phone to change the settings but kept getting kicked for whatever reason, so I have forwarded the link to her, and hopefully somebody over there will be able to help, I also explained a little, how to.

Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Shannon_Bound

I moved away from these third party providers a few years ago, the bottom line is if you want a SIM card that works subscribe to a 1st party provider like Vodafone or Meteor

Vodafone has a €20 per month student bundle that works anywhere in europe which is available to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I moved away from these third party providers a few years ago, the bottom line is if you want a SIM card that works subscribe to a 1st party provider like Vodafone or Meteor

Vodafone has a €20 per month student bundle that works anywhere in europe which is available to everyone

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

"Student" bundle ;-)

the data speed is fairly awful on lycamobile.

it's not uncommon to be on edge in dublin city in some areas which is unusable with modern apps and websites

even on 3G / HSDPA it seems to be max 2 to 3 mbit / sec.

Does anyone know how it compares to Tesco 3g?

Tesco's latest on 4G is that they are aiming for September. I won't hold my breath, but at least it's on the radar.

Got to laugh though. Vodafone, Three and Eir are already suggesting 5G for late 2019/early 2020.

biebiebie wrote: »
    Does anyone know how it compares to Tesco 3g?

Tesco's latest on 4G is that they are aiming for September. I won't hold my breath, but at least it's on the radar.

Got to laugh though. Vodafone, Three and Eir are already suggesting 5G for late 2019/early 2020.

from reports I've seen 6 to 8 mbit consistent per sec on tescomobile.
    that's 2x to 3x what you get with lyca and you won't end up on the edge network in the middle of Dublin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

biebiebie wrote: »

Haha, the question is, did they specify which year? :eek:

Haha yeah it's being a long time coming!

Wonder will their pricing change when they eventually do.
    Might be worth hopping onto them now and then see if their €15 offer still stands on 4G. It would be a good option to have if it does.

My 6 months Eir SIM expires in a month, so that's what I plan to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭zell12

New products
    Looks good
    ijC4MVm.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

zell12 wrote: »
    New products
    Looks good
    ijC4MVm.jpg?1

I got an email re those new tarriffs yesterday. On closer scrutiny it seems to be for new customers:(.

Advertisement