Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigrant in London slams immigrants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

jmayo wrote:
    The stock market will collapse, all financial services will move to ... ? Actually where will they move ? Somehow I don't think they will be racing to Frankfurt, will they be racing to little old Ireland, or will they be off to Dubai, Hong Kong, etc ?

You shouldn't need to exaggerate my points to argue against them. The stock market may not collapse but it will take a hit - and index linked pensions with it. The financial services sector that trades inside the EU will re-locate back inside the EU. We'll get some; so will others.

jmayo wrote:
    And yet all the time you keep telling us how Britain/UK will face economic collapse and the politicians, diplomats and civil servants unable to reach trade agreements, you never once give us any idea what will happen to the good old EU. You keep telling us that the GBP will have dropped, but not once tell us about the currency with the likes of Greece, Italy, Spain attached ?
    jmayo wrote:
    You don't once factor in what the markets make of an EU now without it's second biggest economy.

Everyone agrees there will be collateral damage. Its a lose/lose. Why is that an argument in favour of Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

jmayo wrote: »
    We live in the EU :(

I keep asking because all I ever hear is what a difference it will make to Ireland, but I also want to know what a difference it will make to the wider EU and it's citizens.

We are now all interlinked for good or for bad.
    Thus when Greece slides it takes the Euro down and that affects us in Ireland.
    If Britain leaves it has direct effect on us, but it will have possible effects on all of EU and that will have knock more on effects on us.

If it didn't have effect on Ireland and EU, most of us couldn't care less what way they voted.

Yeah I understand all that , and I understand it will make a difference to Ireland , my point is simply what will be will be as neither us or the Europeans get to have a vote on it .

And I agree with you that most of us don't care except for the knock on effects

marienbad wrote:
    And I agree with you that most of us don't care except for the knock on effects

Duty Free on trips to London would be nice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's a bit rich of an immigrant to complain of immigrants who come in after them. And there is a distinct irony in this too. I'm sure some person was giving out about Irish immigrants to the UK. The IRA bombing campaign in Britain in the 70 s and 80s stirred up much anti- Irish feeling.

Some people have very short memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It's a bit rich of an immigrant to complain of immigrants who come in after them. And there is a distinct irony in this too. I'm sure some person was giving out about Irish immigrants to the UK. The IRA bombing campaign in Britain in the 70 s and 80s stirred up much anti- Irish feeling.

Some people have very short memories.

Very much agree with this. Our relationship is very good with UK all things considering

The gutless and barbaric murders of innocent people especially like the Warrington Bomb that I have no problem if Britain gave us two fingers. But they didn't.

The likes of Enda should mind his own business in what they want to do.

If Cameron was telling us what to do it would not take long for the outrage

Very much agree with this. Our relationship is very good with UK all things considering

The gutless and barbaric murders of innocent people especially like the Warrington Bomb that I have no problem if Britain gave us two fingers. But they didn't.

So what Northern Ireland ends up as is not our business or our concern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

There's was many more gutless and barbaric incidents of British cruelty on Ireland over the last few centuries. No need to be an apologist because of a few horrific incidents over there by a few people with no official mandate when their officialdom has been guilty of crimes against humanity all around the world for hundreds of years. They're still at it in the middle east now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Of course all this Armageddon predicted for Britain leaving the EU is predicated on everything going swimmingly for the EU bloc which seems to be a gimme in the "staying in" lobbyists minds and is not a consideration.

We could be just as easily saying down the line "wasn't Britain lucky that they pulled out of that mess when they did"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Stupid argument. When I lived in London I knew plenty of immigrants opposed to the level of immigration into London. Give them guaranteed visas and a vote and they would vote Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Stupid argument. When I lived in London I knew plenty of immigrants opposed to the level of immigration into London. Give them guaranteed visas and a vote and they would vote Brexit.

They're like anyone else. I know some who are pro-Brexit and some who are pro-Remain.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

In my view, and I am fairly pro-European (as a concept), the system was never designed to function between areas with such large purchasing power parity differences (what you can buy with your earnings basically). Its worth it for an Eastern European to work hard at a fairly badly paid job, live three to a room and save every penny*, when they take the money home its worth 50-100% more, for an English guy the sacrifice isn't as worth it the money they save won't have the same life impact (albeit I know people that work like that then go to asia).

* Massive generalization there obviously loads of educated/highly skilled E.Europeans and people that settle for good and personally I think one of the better things about Ireland is our mass migration occurred from people who are very culturally similar

Yes. Nobody predicted the present levels of migration because prior to 2004 there was little or no immigration between member states. Poor Portugeuese did not go to Germany.

Jayop wrote: »
    There's was many more gutless and barbaric incidents of British cruelty on Ireland over the last few centuries. No need to be an apologist because of a few horrific incidents over there by a few people with no official mandate when their officialdom has been guilty of crimes against humanity all around the world for hundreds of years. They're still at it in the middle east now.

It still happened and in the name of Ireland.

I'm a Republican in view, but I don't believe in blowing up 2 kids on way to School either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It still happened and in the name of Ireland.

I'm a Republican in view, but I don't believe in blowing up 2 kids on way to School either.

Nor do I.

But I don't feel England has a moral highground over anyone in the world given their history and present acts. FFS there's a campaign to have their last proper PM up for war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

....and I'm out

Jayop wrote: »
    Nor do I.

But I don't feel England has a moral highground over anyone in the world given their history and present acts. FFS there's a campaign to have their last proper PM up for war crimes.

I agree with you, with what they did, I just don't believe 2 wrongs make a right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The whole Brexit debate really is a massive issue here for us in the ROI, and yet, not that many Irish people seem to know or care much about it. (That's my impression).

If the UK leaves the EU it will directly impact on the Irish economy in many ways, not least our relationship with Northern Ireland, and the possibility of border controls/tariffs being introduced. We share a border with the UK, and trade would directly be affected...

It really is in Ireland's interest for the UK to stay within the EU, and Enda & Co should be shouting this from the rooftops > before it's too late!

LordSutch wrote:
    It really is in Ireland's interest for the UK to stay within the EU, and Enda & Co should be shouting this from the rooftops > before it's too late!

He is.

It all goes back to how Irish people in Britain feel about the EU living in Britain and the most idiotic leader in the history of this country and someone who would not even attempt to negotiate for the Irish people against Brussels should not listened to and be disregarded in any other country's decision about the EU.

tipptom wrote: »
    It all goes back to how Irish people in Britain feel about the EU living in Britain and the most idiotic leader in the history of this country and someone who would not even attempt to negotiate for the Irish people against Brussels should not listened to and be disregarded in any other country's decision about the EU.

You mean "negotiate against Brussels" like Syriza did?

I think we know whose strategy worked and who's didn't.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    You mean "negotiate against Brussels" like Syriza did?

I think we know whose strategy worked and who's didn't.
    Yeah,like they were the same circumstances.

The Greek situation was not of Syriza s making,they were not even around when Greece was been ran in to the ground when it was all right for FF/FG type party's to allow their wealthy mates to not bother about trivial stuff like taxes.

At least Syria had the balls to go in and try to get a better deal for their people unlike the idiots we elected who promised they would try to negotiate for the Irish people.

People leaving their jobs in Brussels have said that that the Irish government would not even negotiate for a better deal,they just accepted what they were offered.

Why would anyone listen to Idiots like that about Europe?

tipptom wrote:
    At least Syria had the balls to go in and try to get a better deal for their people unlike the idiots we elected who promised they would try to negotiate for the Irish people.

Syriza's "balls" achieved worse than zero. They ended up implementing terms WORSE than initially offered, having run Greece further into the ground. It was a futile demonstration of political ineptitude and it is pathetic that there are people who still don't realise that.

The FG/Labour government inherited the mess (and the deal) from FF and not only got us out of it, but significantly improved that "deal". Just as importantly, our responsible behaviour ensured that we kept the confidence of the markets and foreign investors (you know, the people who actually create wealth.)

All this is obviously way over your head so go wave a Greek flag somewhere and keep your idiotic opinions to yourself.

LordSutch wrote: »
    The whole Brexit debate really is a massive issue here for us in the ROI, and yet, not that many Irish people seem to know or care much about it. (That's my impression).

If the UK leaves the EU it will directly impact on the Irish economy in many ways, not least our relationship with Northern Ireland, and the possibility of border controls/tariffs being introduced. We share a border with the UK, and trade would directly be affected...

He is.
    Indeed he is, going much further than any other European leader. by directly asking Irish citizens to vote "remain".
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0529/791755-brexit/

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has encouraged Irish people living in the UK to register to vote in the upcoming referendum on Europe.
    Speaking in London, Mr Kenny said the decision made on 23 June would be one of the most significant in the last 50 years and would change Europe either way.
    Mr Kenny said that a "substantial number of Irish people" make up the British electorate and he urged them to have their say by registering to vote by 7 June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Syriza's "balls" achieved worse than zero. They ended up implementing terms WORSE than initially offered, having run Greece further into the ground. It was a futile demonstration of political ineptitude and it is pathetic that there are people who still don't realise that.

The FG/Labour government inherited the mess (and the deal) from FF and not only got us out of it, but significantly improved that "deal". Just as importantly, our responsible behaviour ensured that we kept the confidence of the markets and foreign investors (you know, the people who actually create wealth.)

All this is obviously way over your head so go wave a Greek flag somewhere and keep your idiotic opinions to yourself.

Yes be a good prole now and leave that complicated political thinking stuff to your social betters, the Euro mandarins know best no point in addling your mind.

“So long as they continued to work and breed, their other activities were without importance. Left to themselves, like cattle turned loose upon the plains of Argentina, they had reverted to a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern...Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbours, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.”

Yes be a good prole now and leave that complicated political thinking stuff to your social betters, the Euro mandarins know best no point in addling your mind.

Quite the reverse - make the effort to understand what is important and what is going, rather than spouting simplistic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

If an immigrant 'took' your job and you cannot find another one, you have too little to offer to the society.
    And you have only yourself to blame.

The thing is Sonny you don't decide who gives opinions or try and stifle discussion.

Maybe that's the way your cowardly mates in the establishment/FG/FF operate to try and hide their incompetence and corruption and you may think that some crumbs might fall of the table in to the gutter for you to peddle your BS scare story's for them and your BS about let "the adults decide"

Now I wonder would you be as brave coming out from behind your computer and speak to my face like that?

tipptom wrote:
    Now I wonder would you be as brave coming out from behind your computer and speak to my face like that?

That's fightin' talk! You stick to the slogans and leave the thinking to those who can.

That's fightin' talk! You stick to the slogans and leave the thinking to those who can.
    You have no thinking for yourself,only what idiots from Brussels and FG feed you,your a brave boy alright.

• Advertisement

Hope Enda meets Trump and they become pals cause they both suit each other

FG are shower of no good for nothing waste of space

Advertisement