Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro 12 semi final - Leinster v Ulster 20/05/2016, 19:45. Live on Sky, TG4, BBCNI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Doing those interviews are part of the job I'm sure he wouldn't miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Never liked Rory Best when he was competing with Flannery for Ireland.

But every year he has grown on me and his plight for another league is up there with Axel and the European Cup. If ever there was a man not from my own team to lift the trophy I wish it was him.

You don't deserve anything in sport, you earn it, but It's heartbreaking seeing him walk off the pitch every year in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No chance Rory gives up that captaincy btw. He's just hurt. Too good a player and a captain.

Turns 34 this summer. Wouldn't know what he's thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Never liked Rory Best when he was competing with Flannery for Ireland.

But every year he has grown on me and his plight for another league is up there with Axel and the European Cup. If ever there was a man not from my own team to lift the trophy I wish it was him.

You don't deserve anything in sport, you earn it, but It's heartbreaking seeing him walk off the pitch every year in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Honestly sounded like retirement is on the cards...

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Turns 34 this summer. Wouldn't know what he's thinking.

Still playing too well to consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Best suggesting he wont be captain next season. I honestly thought he was letting slip about retirement!?

Yep he's getting up there and has a long career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Anyone watching on TG4?

Two lads walk into shot carrying the desk and plop it in front of the panel. Cuts to the crowd for a second. Goes back and the desk is gone.

Saw that, thought I'd drank too much. Which was odd, since I haven't drank.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Coetzee won't play much and Pitau just isn't what you need. Ridiculous use of resources when Ulster's pack are consistently what lets them down.

True but Pitau should be a serious player and Coetzee when fit will help the pack. We do need another couple of heavy hitters up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Great game. The intensity, fast movement and some awesome passing from both sides. Leinster played really well both defensively and attacking. Ulster are a descent side and credit must be given to McCloskey, Rory Best & Gilroy for their performances.

Rory gets my utmost respect for his professionalism and his skills. This game could have gone either way but as a Leinster fan it was a good result taking on Ulster upfront and winning the ball in all the right positions. From start until finish the team harassed Ulster and gaining a load of territory & possession.

Onto the final we go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Stephen Ferris
    Awesome game of rugby! Great to finally hear the atmosphere back in the RDS also. How are people getting to Edinburgh? Suppose we need to all book before the Connacht fans hopefully start tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Great game. The intensity, fast movement and some awesome passing from both sides. Leinster played really well both defensively and attacking. Ulster are a descent side and credit must be given to McCloskey, Rory Best & Gilroy for their performances.

McCloskey made good yards but he made some handling errors. Personally I'd rather have Olding starting with McCloskey coming on later. Gilroy was as usual great going forward but struggled defensively. It's not hard to see why hasn't more Ireland caps to his name.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Coetzee won't play much and Pitau just isn't what you need. Ridiculous use of resources when Ulster's pack are consistently what lets them down.

True but Pitau should be a serious player and Coetzee when fit will help the pack. We do need another couple of heavy hitters up front.

Treadwell is an interesting one. With Coetzee missing until Christmas, we'll see if this kid can have much of an impact.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Honestly sounded like retirement is on the cards...

Did he not sign a 2 year contract a few months ago? On Sky he was talking about next season so I think he'll be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

There's just something about Ulster, they are great at 1 thing: Letting their fans down.

The ultimate losers. They'll win any friendly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Rightwing wrote: »
    There's just something about Ulster, they are great at 1 thing: Letting their fans down.

The ultimate losers. They'll win any friendly though.

Hope you've been drinking.

And reread you're comments in the morning swiftly followed by an apology.

Enjoyed that game.

2 highlights for me by a mile were Henderson showing all the signs of returning to where he left off pre injury, and similarly Luke too.

Brilliant to see both of them firing well.

Sexton, Kirchner, Mcgrath all stood out for me too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Fitzgerald looked really good. I think I'd prefer him over Earls on the wing if he can manage to stay healthy long enough to go to South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Rory Best is just a quality human being. Just watched the after match interview and its hard to to remember anyone else managing such a gutting result with such class

Fitzgerald looked really good. I think I'd prefer him over Earls on the wing if he can manage to stay healthy long enough to go to South Africa.

He's way ahead of Earls imo. The guy has ridiculously rapid feet. He's no.1 selection for winger right now for me. All the rest playing second fiddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

We bossed that game when we needed to and that's a big reason, we've reached the final. Yes Ulster played well, but our defence turned in a sterling performance and managed to contain some of their more dangerous runners, for much of the match. I'm just hoping that Connacht can overcome the Warriors later on this evening, as that means the title returns to Ireland, no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I hope Andy Trimble didn't head to Coppers to drown his sorrows, he might have ended up with his second nasty gash of the evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Holes appearing in midfield since teo has gone

Is that on observation or a prophecy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Watched the game from abroad so missed the interviews etc. I feel sorry for Best, and hope the retirement comments here are just talk.

Loved the way Leinster seemed to really want this victory, and really seemed to work for each other. A final against Connacht would be epic.

kuang1 wrote: »
    He's way ahead of Earls imo. The guy has ridiculously rapid feet. He's no.1 selection for winger right now for me. All the rest playing second fiddle.

I wouldn't say he's way ahead but I'd have him in my Irish XV anyway. The pair of them are far and away the best wingers available for me. The shimmy that saw him get around Best on the touchline completely bamboozled the defence and came from nowhere.

With that said, Dave Kearney had a very good game too. Defended stoutly, made one great turnover in contact in his own 22 and thundered into traffic when coming off his wing to help out. Unusual to see a winger making 10 tackles. A very solid showing from him without anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

vienne86 wrote: »
    Watched the game from abroad so missed the interviews etc. I feel sorry for Best, and hope the retirement comments here are just talk.

Loved the way Leinster seemed to really want this victory, and really seemed to work for each other. A final against Connacht would be epic.

Must be fairly disheartening to play in that Ulster pack. And play behind them. In fairness tho I thought the starting back row played well and also Browne.

Was very impressed with Leinster. Didn't expect to see that level of hunger. Jordi looked like the player he was in 2014. Sexton of 2013 & Reddan of..eh old.
    McGrath was just his usual immense self.

Looking back over the game I was hugely impressed with the speed and accuracy of the Leinster attack. Quick recycle after quick recycle with Reddan absolutely buzzing. He directed our attack so well and, if he's capable of that level still, I've no qualms with him challenging for the starting jersey for another year.

We got our forwards working hard in attack, getting around the corner and putting Ulster on the back foot repeatedly. It gave Sexton the perfect platform to work off and the Ulster back three were tormented by his kicking. With that said, I don't think any of them covered themselves in glory there. It was far too easy for Sexton to find open space in the backfield. Trimble, in particular, will be disappointed with his evening's work and was completely outshone by Fitzgerald opposite him.

I think a mention should go to several of the guys who haven't clicked as much this season as they have in recent years. Toner was very good. He was hugely influential in the set piece and tight with one great claim in the Ulster 22 early on from a box kick. Jordi Murphy was supercharged. That was as well rounded a showing as he has delivered since last season's 6N. He was everywhere in defence and repeatedly showed for the ball in attack. Absolute hunger and if VDF was fit tomorrow, it would be very harsh to drop Murphy. Dave Kearney also, deserves a mention. He was bouncing around the place like a madman, looking to hit anything that moved and generally did so successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I just hope the players that put in good showings last night (on both sides) will be as effective in SA.

Must be fairly disheartening to play in that Ulster pack. And play behind them.

Whilst VDM has been very good, he's not Muller. And they've never replaced Afoa up front.

The whole development of forwards from within is a huge problem leaving them to rely on imports and IQ foreign players to supplement the team such as Brown, Reidy and Black who are all from other countries. They're solid professionals but they're really just plugging gaps.

They do see to be addressing the issue of forwards with the emergence of McCall and Warwick but we're a long way off knowing if they're going to be able to do the job long term.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Must be fairly disheartening to play in that Ulster pack. And play behind them.

Whilst VDM has been very good, he's not Muller. And they've never replaced Afoa up front.

The whole development of forwards from within is a huge problem leaving them to rely on imports and IQ foreign players to supplement the team such as Brown, Reidy and Black who are all from other countries. They're solid professionals but they're really just plugging gaps.

They do see to be addressing the issue of forwards with the emergence of McCall and Warwick but we're a long way off knowing if they're going to be able to do the job long term.

Best, Henderson and Henry are our only top class forwards. You can add Coetzee to that list from next season as well. Alan O'Connor, when he is fit is worth his place in the team too. The rest are probably a bit below what you need to be winning trophies. Apparently Ulster are the only team in the Pro 12 that does not have at least one international prop on their books. That is pretty telling. Maybe that's why we signed Big Rodney!

There are some decent prospects in the Academy and age grade game at the minute which hasn't been the case for a few years. Alex Thompson (second row) and Lorcan Dow (No.8) will hopefully get gametime next year and we have Adam McBurney (hooker), Peter Cooper (THP) Conall Boomer (flanker) and Marcus Rea (flanker and captain of the Irish U19s) as well, albeit they all have a bit to go but at their level they are good players.

Some may and probably will fall by the wayside, but hopefully some of those guys will come through in the next while but we'll see.

We should also be making a play to get Paddy McAlistair back to Ulster as soon as possible.

Advertisement