Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro 12 semi final - Leinster v Ulster 20/05/2016, 19:45. Live on Sky, TG4, BBCNI

Options
  • 19-05-2016 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

In the seventh season of pro12 playoffs, Leinster are preparing for their sixth home semi-final. On each previous occasion, they've advanced to the final. Indeed, no team has ever lost a home semi-final.

Good omens indeed.

Not so good was their 30-6 defeat in Ravenhill a couple of weeks ago, preceded by patchy performances against Munster and Connacht.

Ulster on the other hand are on more of an upward curve. After some pretty rubbish performances in February and March, they look to have turned a corner, culminating in a thumping of the Ospreys at the Liberty two weeks ago.

So how is this going to pan out? The bookies make Leinster narrow favourites but home advantage means that was always going to be the case.

Ulster look to be the more settled and cohesive team. Henderson is back and Henry is rediscovering some form so they have a harder edge up front. Behind the scrum, Pienaar is back on song and the backs are reaping the rewards. Leinster look like a team struggling to find their rhythm. Injuries and international absences have caused significant disruption but those excuses won't hold water much longer.

No surprises in either selection, each side is missing big players but the Ulster XV definitely has a more familiar look to it. That might prove decisive, but the Leinster bench looks more capable of having an impact.

I don't buy into the notion that this will be the Leinster forwards vs the Ulster backs, each side has quality throughout. Weather forecast is OK so should be a good evening for rugby.

Very hard to call but Leinster were the only side in the league with a 100% home record this season and they might just maintain that.

Final appearances at the RDS for Ian Madigan and Ben Te'o.

Ian Davies, last seen brandishing a red card in Galway, is the ref.

LEINSTER RUGBY XV:
    15. Isa Nacewa CAPTAIN
    14. Dave Kearney
    13. Garry Ringrose
    12. Ben Te'o
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Eoin Reddan
    1. Jack McGrath
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Mike Ross
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Mick Kearney
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Jordi Murphy
    8. Jamie Heaslip
    REPLACEMENTS
    16. Sean Cronin
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Jack Conan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ian Madigan
    23. Zane Kirchner

ULSTER RUGBY XV:
    15. Jared Payne
    14. Andrew Trimble
    13. Luke Marshall
    12. Stuart McCloskey
    11. Craig Gilroy
    10. Paddy Jackson
    9. Ruan Pienaar
    1. Callum Black
    2. Rory Best CAPTAIN
    3. Ricky Lutton
    4. Pete Browne
    5. Franco Van Der Merwe
    6. Iain Henderson
    7. Chris Henry
    8. Sean Reidy
    REPLACEMENTS
    16. Rob Herring
    17. Kyle McCall
    18. Andy Warwick
    19. Robbie Diack
    20. Roger Wilson
    21. Paul Marshall
    22. Stuart Olding
    23. Darren Cave

Who will be proved right in the battle of the one-eyed pundits? 18 votes

Victor Costello
    0%
    Stephen Ferris
    100%
    goose06B0Xskipper_GMugMugsktulu123scott1974CatFromHueMJohnstonjack01986Scudges DaCrabRevolutionRichard Hillman[Deleted User]The Pheasant2[Deleted User]former totalCMOTDibblerShefwedfan 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Weather doesn't look good. Could be a misery fest of smashing into each other with little skills on offer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mfceiling wrote: »
    Weather doesn't look good. Could be a misery fest of smashing into each other with little skills on offer.

We don't really need bad weather for that in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't think there is much between the benches. Herring, Marshall and particularly Olding can all be game changers and while Wilson is at pensionable age now he can still give 20-25 top quality minutes. I'd also argue that the two bench props are better than the two starting.

In saying that Cronin and Furlong could be huge for Leinster as could Madigan.

It should be a really tight match. There isn't a lot between the sides at all. The back rows are really interesting. For the first time in as long as I cam remember I don't feel like Leinster have a big edge (if any) here. However the tight 5 remains Leinster's friend and if the conditions are crappy that could yet be decisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

I think we all have our fingers crossed for a 9-6 one-up runners bosh fest. I know I do. Bosh, bosh, bosh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

bilston wrote: »
    I don't think there is much between the benches. Herring, Marshall and particularly Olding can all be game changers and while Wilson is at pensionable age now he can still give 20-25 top quality minutes. I'd also argue that the two bench props are better than the two starting.

Herring and Marshall can be gamechangers but I would say so can Cronin and McGrath and Cronin, at least, is simply better (and I would say McGrath is clearly a better scrum half than Marshall too though it's less clear cut). Leinster bench looks better from 16-21 and not by a small amount to my mind.

Of course Ulster have about 76 outside backs that would help the Leinster squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Stephen Ferris
    Weather forecast has deteriorated; now talk of persistent rain this evening. Balls anyway.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Herring and Marshall can be gamechangers but I would say so can Cronin and McGrath and Cronin, at least, is simply better (and I would say McGrath is clearly a better scrum half than Marshall too though it's less clear cut). Leinster bench looks better from 16-21 and not by a small amount to my mind.

Of course Ulster have about 76 outside backs that would help the Leinster squad.

I wouldn't say Dooley and Molony aee ahead of McCall and Diack, McGrath is a better 9 than Marshall but Marshall is gamechanging impact sub (potentially for Leinster as well). Of course Madigan came off the bench two years ago in the semi and won the match for Leinster so we know what he can do. I don't think there is much in it.

Shame about FT's weather forecast though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

dub_skav wrote: »
    I'm owed at least one end of season sunglasses game in the RDS dammit
    Weather forecast has deteriorated; now talk of persistent rain this evening. Balls anyway.

banatzayed-no-sunglases.jpg

story-17722-17722-xlarge.jpg

200_s.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Potato farl or whiskey brownie?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Stephen Ferris

Quite windy too. Miserable (or perfect, depending on your outlook) conditions for rugby really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Potato farl or whiskey brownie?

Clearly only one choice there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I wouldn't say Dooley and Molony aee ahead of McCall and Diack, McGrath is a better 9 than Marshall but Marshall is gamechanging impact sub (potentially for Leinster as well). Of course Madigan came off the bench two years ago in the semi and won the match for Leinster so we know what he can do. I don't think there is much in it.

Shame about FT's weather forecast though!

I don't really rate Diack as a second row cause he's soft as a melting marshmallow. Don't know enough about either prop.

I should clarify, while I'm happy enough saying Leinster's bench is (a good bit) stronger, I don't think it will make much difference because Ulster can actually score tries and we can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Think it's only the 2nd time Nacewa started at FB this season.
    Weather might limit the amount of link up and offloads I was hoping to see from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

Leinster certainly have a hoodoo over Ulster- they have ensured Ulster's season has ended without a trophy in 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014!:( That's a whole lotta hurt- surely that has to come to an end eventually? I'm hoping tonight is the night Ulster can finally find the mental strength to overcome the hoodoo!

I was at Ravenspan for the game 3 weeks ago & whilst I thought Ulster totally outplayed Leinster, it was still only 13-6 with just over 20 mins to go. The final scoreline definitely flattered Ulster. I also find it slightly weird all this talk of Leinster not being in-form when they finished top of the league & are unbeaten at home all season.:confused: Ok, I get that they're not playing the typical "Champagne Rugby" their fans are used to.. but still....

So whilst I'm probably the most hopeful I've ever been for Ulster going into a play-off match against Leinster I am a still very, very cautious! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Clearly only one choice there!

Potato whiskey?

il_570xN.466978173_2bl9.jpg

Stephen Ferris
    Think it's only the 2nd time Nacewa started at FB this season.
    Weather might limit the amount of link up and offloads I was hoping to see from him.

Nah he started a good few at FB when Kearney and Kirchner were at the World Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

rsh118 wrote: »
    I think we all have our fingers crossed for a 9-6 one-up runners bosh fest. I know I do. Bosh, bosh, bosh!

Is that you, Leo?

Weather update please Dubliners?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Looking out the window and it's cloudy with a risk of leaving early...

• Advertisement

Stephen Ferris
    Adbrowne wrote: »

Currently dry and quite windy, heavy rain due to start within the hour I'd say.

Stephen Ferris
    Poll added. Shocking omission from the OP.

Stephen Ferris
    Poll added. Shocking omission from the OP.

So the poll choices are essentially "Who will win - Leinster, or Leinster?"

:P

Nah he started a good few at FB when Kearney and Kirchner were at the World Cup.

Yar.....
    I have no recollection of WC time. Ptsd related

Stephen Ferris
    Jaysus if the atmosphere is anything like this match...

What an occasion

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jaysus if the atmosphere is anything like this match...

What an occasion

Thankfully no Lacey this time to screw Ulster over. :)

How are Leinster going to cope with a man less? ;)

Stephen Ferris
    awec wrote: »

And if Robbie Diack has learned how to fall onto the ground when in possession in the in-goal area, Leinster are totally f**ked.

Still cannot believe he managed not to score that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

awec wrote: »

Phew, people were saying that this match was different and Ulster and Leinster were in different places than previous encounters. But, awec still whinging about Lacey, business as usual

Pj kicking from the T?

• Advertisement

Stephen Ferris
    Rains started in Dublin. Slippy game on the way.

Advertisement