Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro 12 semi final - Leinster v Ulster 20/05/2016, 19:45. Live on Sky, TG4, BBCNI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It was a great buzz on the terrace last night. For the first game all season im really looking forward to a rasher sambo, mug of tea and watching the recorded game back.

I dont think anyone had a worse than average game, and its great to come on here and read the little cameos that were picked out about most players on the field. For me Jack McGrath put in a supreme shift, with special mention for Mick Kearney who had his best game yet in blue and is finding the level Cullen saw in his potential. I still cant quite understand what we need Ian Nagle for when we are well resourced in that Dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

kuang1 wrote: »
    Hope you've been drinking.

And reread you're comments in the morning swiftly followed by an apology.

Said similar muck about Connacht when lost to Grenoble

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Luke Fitzgerald's first half was easily the best 40 minutes from an Irish winger in years. He faded out of the game in the second half but he was insane in the first.

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Luke Fitzgerald's first half was easily the best 40 minutes from an Irish winger in years. He faded out of the game in the second half but he was insane in the first.

Dunno if I'd go that far, he may have made some cracking breaks but it's yet another game with 0 points on the score board for him.

Gilroy who was fairly rubbish still got two tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    Dunno if I'd go that far, he may have made some cracking breaks but it's yet another game with 0 points on the score board for him.

If he keeps up performances like that I really don't care!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agreed... Apart from a very dodgy attempt of a tram line grubber he was excellent. A constant kick off threat, excellent under the high ball, finding space in the tightest of areas and still has a top open speed.

He really excels playing outside Sexton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Stephen Ferris

Neither will Joe. The wingers for South Africa will be Luke, Trimble, Earls and DK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

We bossed that game when we needed to and that's a big reason, we've reached the final. Yes Ulster played well, but our defence turned in a sterling performance and managed to contain some of their more dangerous runners, for much of the match. I'm just hoping that Connacht can overcome the Warriors later on this evening, as that means the title returns to Ireland, no matter what.

To me Leinster & Glasgow are the 2 best teams in the league, and by a distance. If Glasgow win, it will be a good final, if Connacht do, expect a repeat of last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Well at least the Chinese was good.

Watched it on sky, thought it was quite good. There was a definte few "the pro12 is really good you guys should keep watching it" sayings if anyone else thought the same?

Agree with the comments about ulster. I don't necessarily dislike some of our players but some of them are just solid 7/10 performers and need some to eek out the extras. Thought AoC and Hersbt may have made a difference there. Hopefully dave can make a difference next year.

And can someone fulfill my dream of giving Muller a patch a of land over here to farm on so he can become our forwards coach??

This season will be better. We will actually have a pre season under Kiss so should see more implemented.

Congrats leinster. Fitz looked very lively , Reddan played like his contract depends on it. Ringrose had some nice footwork must be said. Sexton some nice pins to corners but it was the pack who won it.

Funniest moment of the match for me was Ruans wayward clearance, everyone gathering below and then Toners arm scoots out of nowhere to grab it leaving everyone really confused for a second

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The tries really don't matter when you're enabling your team to score. I have to say, ignoring all the flash things he did, his clear out at a ruck just before Isa's try was a thing of beauty. He took out two players and allowed us quick ball which generated a score. He's just a brilliant all over rugby player. I honestly don't care if he never scored a try again, he's a brilliant addition to any team without scoring them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rightwing wrote: »
    To me Leinster & Glasgow are the 2 best teams in the league, and by a distance. If Glasgow win, it will be a good final, if Connacht do, expect a repeat of last night.

Both Leinster v Connacht games this season were fairly poor, if I remember rightly. The most recent one had a bit of excitement at the end to see if Connacht could hold on for the win. As much as we'd all like Connacht to win, today and maybe even next week, Glasgow would make the more entertaining match. I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Both Leinster v Connacht games this season were fairly poor, if I remember rightly. The most recent one had a bit of excitement at the end to see if Connacht could hold on for the win. As much as we'd all like Connacht to win, today and maybe even next week, Glasgow would make the more entertaining match. I think.

True enough. The match (or two) will tell us a lot about Connacht.

Just goes to show how absolutely useless tries scored is as a metric doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Great to see him in such good nick. Took good lines and was strong and robust in the contact. His break up the touchline where he stepped inside and out to beat Best was nice. Would have expected that from him vs a hooker.
    Edit: IF fit and playing like last night (he was low on confidence a few years back, over running the support lines etc) he would always start at 11 in my Irish teams.

Just goes to show how absolutely useless tries scored is as a metric doesn't it?

Not really. It's a perfectly valid metric for a winger.

Not really. It's a perfectly valid metric for a winger.

You've just said Gilroy had a rubbish game and Fitz had a great game. :confused:

2 - 0 on the try count though....

Stephen Ferris
    You've just said Gilroy had a rubbish game and Fitz had a great game. :confused:

Nah he's right, it is a valid metric. But there are many other metrics, like defence, work rate, overall contribution and that's where Gilroy falls down.

Nah he's right, it is a valid metric. But there are many other metrics, like defence, work rate, overall contribution and that's where Gilroy falls down.

None of those are metrics!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well who's a pernickety Peter? :)

Tackles made, km covered, rucks hit then. Gilroy wouldn't be too hot in those areas, I would imagine.

The biggest deficiency in the Ulster back three last night was their complete failure to deal with Sexton's kicking game both in terms of fielding and positioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Buer wrote: »

Tackles made, km covered, rucks hit then. Gilroy wouldn't be too hot in those areas, I would imagine.

The biggest deficiency in the Ulster back three last night was their complete failure to deal with Sexton's kicking game both in terms of fielding and positioning.
    Who's that guy who sometimes plays for ireland that's good at that whole fielding and positioning stuff?
    Not really relevant though because full back is all about attack these days :pac:

• Advertisement

Stephen Ferris

They're soft metrics but metrics nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is the match on any of the Players yet? Do they normally put them up? Forgot to record it

Edit: Looks like it's on BBC iPlayer

Overall he had a poor game and overall Fitz had a good game.

However it can't be ignored that Gilroy still had more of an impact on the actual scoreline despite his overall poor performance. Gilroy can play poorly and still get himself over the line twice, Fitzgerald can play really well but still doesn't score.

Fitzgerald's poor record with the scoreboard is his biggest problem. It's what separates him from the likes of Bowe.

I disagree that it was the best showing from an Irish winger in years. It was a good showing, but good wing performances usually come with some tries involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »

I'd exempt Payne from criticism as Leinster clearly made a point of not kicking it anywhere near him. It was a surprise to see Trimble struggle like that. It is usually a strength of his. In saying that Reddan's kicking in the 1st quarter was bang on the money. On the basis of last night, and this won't go down well with some, Reddan has to be in the matchday squad in SA.

Reddan's kicking was great except for one bizarre penalty in the first half where he just hoofed it down field.

The question I have is why does Fitzgerald not score more tries? Is he just unlucky? Is he a poor finisher? Is it the way the teams he plays in go about their business? He has played mostly in Schmidt coached teams and we know Joe has his own views on what a winger should bring to the party so maybe that is something to do with it.

Reddan's kicking was great except for one bizarre penalty in the first half where he just hoofed it down field.

Yeah, I think he was trying to be Ruan on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Second half, no? We won a penalty at the breakdown and he tried to kick it quickly. The Ulster backs were sprinting back and managed to field it (Pienaar I think) but if it had been a half second quicker, Leinster would have gone from their 22 to Ulster's.

Stephen Ferris
    bilston wrote: »
    I'd exempt Payne from criticism as Leinster clearly made a point of not kicking it anywhere near him. It was a surprise to see Trimble struggle like that. It is usually a strength of his. In saying that Reddan's kicking in the 1st quarter was bang on the money. On the basis of last night, and this won't go down well with some, Reddan has to be in the matchday squad in SA.

I was really impressed with Reddan's kicking last night and it's not always his strongest suit.

He's still second choice for Ireland, I'd be pretty sure of that.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think he was trying to be Ruan on that one.

Edit - On that did you notice in the 1st half Ulster had won a penalty just outside their 22 and Ruan wanted to take his trademark quick amd I think it was Ruddock grabbed him and wouldn't let go of him. Streetwise stuff by Leinster. Just like McGrath pulling Henry back into a ruck and winning a penalty for Henry not moving away. You can tell Cullen is their coach!

Advertisement