Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options
1545556575860»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So the filament globes I bought above were just the regular sized large globes, and not the giant globe…… which I had one of delivered this morning for another lamp we picked up online…And they are indeed quite large!!!

Here it is next to a regular white & colour ambiance bulb… I hope it’s not too big for the lamp!!!

Then picked up a few more white & colour bulbs for this lamp for our sons room….. so this will be the disco room because they’ll all be colour bulbs!!

filament bulbs would probably look better in this fitting, but as it’s a kids room I figured the colour bulbs would be a bit more quirky, and suit more….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Thanks for sharing. Where did you get the multi bulb lamp?

Got both of them from this crowd, they masquerade as Irish, but I believe are Dutch based…. Not the cheapest but so far the quality has matched the price.

I’ve already ordered a light from them and it was delivered with no issues, I in turn shipped it to Lithuania and installed it in the house. The quality seemed high so I had no reservations about ordering from them again…. This is the first light they sent me…

Back over at the house and installed more Hue!!!

A moon lamp from Amazon (which is exceptional), and then this 5 bulb floor lamp in our sons room…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Advertisement

Here it is…

KRIPINC Ceiling Pendant Light, 3D Printing Moon Light Shade, Creative Moon Ceiling Lights for Bedroom Living Room Restaurant Bar, E27 Pendant Lamp Light Shade, 22cm https://amzn.eu/d/7BXdSZk

Got a few more bulbs delivered today for lamps and fittings for the living room…

got a small table lamp and a ceiling lamp in the same style as this floor lamp, so naturally enough have to load them with filament bulbs…

also picked up the smaller globe as the giant globe is too big for the floor lamp!! So that will go elsewhere…

fitted a spare lightstrip + that I’ve had lying around for years too over the kitchen units!!! I haven’t stuck it down yet so it’s just resting there…. I’m back over in a few weeks so will try to tidy it up a bit better then.

What I’d love to do now is somehow integrate the ikea kitchen unit lights into the Hue set up…. There seems to be some sort of base controller and a remote control with them, but as I know absolutely zero about IKEA smart lighting, I might have to read up or watch some YouTube videos..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

You must have shares in Hue at this stage Andy!!!

Yeah it's getting a bit nuts at this stage!!! All in I must have bought close to 150 bulbs over the years!! (I dare not try to add up how much they all cost)

Just thinking off the top of my head what I've bought over the years;

20x GU10 White & Colour Ambience (14 of the original larger style, and 6 of the newer smaller ones)

22x GU10 White Ambiance (6 in my attic and the rest in my mothers & sisters houses)

about 30 White & Colour E27/B22

about 14 White only E27/B22 (best deal ever was picking up 4 of them in Woodies years ago for €3 each)

about 6 White Ambience E27

3x Lightstrip+ with about 7x1m extensions

3x Hue Bloom's

9x filament bulbs - various sizes

2x e14 White & Colour Ambience

3x e14 White only

5x Lily Garden Spots

1x Impress outdoor light

2x Enrave ceiling lights (1 large & 1 small)

1x Discover White & Colour Ambience outdoor flood light

5x sensors

16x dimmer switches (all the ones in Ireland are the older original ones, all in LT are the newer style ones)

2x buttons (which are actually really good, both being used as bathroom switches/buttons in LT)

and I'm sure many more that I've forgotten about... I know there are some more E27 White only & white ambience bulbs in my mothers house, and I've a good few random spares over in Lithuania..

I'm heading back over to Lithuania on Paddy's Day so shall be greening the house over the weekend... as well as fitting the last of the light fittings I just got, so I'll probably bring back any spares that I still have there as won't need them there anymore.. Then I can say I'm finally done!! 2 houses completely Hue'd up. Though I do want to pick up another sensor for the downstairs bathroom in Lithuania (already have one upstairs and in the kitchen/dining room), but the price of the sensors seems to be holding steady, but Im in no rush so will keep an eye on them..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

1x Discover White & Colour Ambience outdoor flood light

How do you find this, I've a 400W sensor light out the back in which the bulb blew so was thinking of replacing with an LED version. Have Hue lights internally so this would be a nice addition but unsure if bright enough, looks to be 30W which should be decent. Peeved though I'd also have to buy an outdoor motion sensor to have it function as a security light making it very expensive.

• Advertisement

I haven't actually fitted it outside yet..... Up until the last trip over it was being used as a living room lamp (I wired a plug into it so it could be a portable lamp), but now that we have actual living room lamps, I'm free to fit it out the back over the deck... the only issue is if the weather is crap I might wait til a later trip to fit it, but of I get a decent window I might put it up.....

It certainly did the job as an indoor light anyway!! when I was using it I had it facing the wall as it was fairly bright... (it was probably only at 50%-60% in this photo)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Any time I read your posts like this one I imagine you either as Spud in Trainspotting or the Brilliant Manchester guy from the Fast Show.

Back over and started fitting more lights & fittings…

Installed the living room centre light with 2x small filament bulbs, as well as a small table lamp with a stretched filament bulb..

(also got curtains fitted yesterday so now have privacy)

I put the smaller filament globe into the floor lamp and it looks a lot better… so the giant globe that was there will live in the master bedroom for a while until we either decide to leave it as is or get a shade of some sort… I kinda like it on show like this…

Then after having it here for 6 months or so I finally installed the Discover outdoor flood light… so will give it a whirl tonight and see how good it is..

Only 2 more wires coming out of the ceiling which I’m gonna do this morning and put fittings in..

So the Discover outdoor floodlight is more than adequate…

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

How to people find the motion sensors, thinking of lighting in stairs inside so they only turn on when people are actually using the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I've moved house recently and had an unused motion sensor that I decided to unbox and use for the hall. It works great. Seems like they fit best in areas that people pass thru, means lights not left on beyond when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

We have two sensors for upstairs and downstairs, they work great for hallways. It would be nice if they had a few extra meters reach though as when we enter the house you have to walk slightly down the hallway to trigger it

How many bulbs and accessories are people reliably getting on one bridge? I've two bridges running at the moment - but it's not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

How many devices have you got on two hubs? I've got one hub and about 40 devices... Never even considered the potential need for a second hub. Everything working fine for the past couple of years.

My bridge in Ireland;

47 bulbs in current use (but about 5-6 that are spare but still added on the bridge).

10 dimmer switches

2 sensors (was 4 but I put 2 of them in the Lithuanian house).

My bridge in Lithuania;

30 bulbs, 5 dimmer switches, 2 smart buttons & 2 sensors

All work fine and I’ve never had an issue adding new bulbs/accessories..

the unofficial limit for things added to a bridge is 64… I’m currently running 59 devices in total on my bridge here in Ireland!!

• Advertisement

OK, great - thanks for the replies. I’m edging towards 50 bulbs and 10 accessories. Sounds like one hub should be stable for me.

Advertisement