Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Any good hue lights for bathroom the coloured ones??

I have a colour E27 in my bathroom and ensuite the last 2 years with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

I have a colour E27 in my bathroom and ensuite the last 2 years with no issues.

Cool good to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Colour would be a waste in the bathroom, just get a white b22 they're half the price

Colour would be a waste in the bathroom, just get a white b22 they're half the price

I would agree that colour would be a waste in the bathroom (I had 2 spare Gen 1 colours so put them in), but a white ambiance would be worth it as opposed to a white only bulb.

She likes the energise/concentrate whites when she’s doing makeup or anything, and then during the night, a low nightlight white is good for the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Is the power on behaviour option consistently working for people? I have selected the energize option for most of my lights but they don't always show that colour when turned on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

She likes the idea of different colours when in the bath ha

Hue starter kits are down to £70 on Amazon!!

Phenomenal value!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hue starter kits are down to £70 on Amazon!!

Phenomenal value!!

That's for 3 colour bulbs and a hub. You can pick B22, E27 or GU10.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's for 3 colour bulbs and a hub. You can pick B22, E27 or GU10.

Yup,

Phenomenal value! It’s a pity I don’t need any more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

If anyone has a Gen 1 hub it's probably worth picking up a new one duriing these sales as remote support for the gen 1 hub is due to be dropped next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have 7 white bulbs in the house with dimmers. Do I really need coloured ones? What do you guys use them for? I know they create 'warmth and mood' etc but not sure I can actually justify this to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Just bought the 3 G10 starter pack and the 3 B22 pack. Now have to figure out where to put them..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I have 7 white bulbs in the house with dimmers. Do I really need coloured ones? What do you guys use them for? I know they create 'warmth and mood' etc but not sure I can actually justify this to myself.

I use the red light a lot inn the hallways and bedrooms. I find that the red light wakes me up a lot less at nighttime if i have to walk in the hall and the redlight doesn't wake my wife if she goes to bed before i do.

I also use the colours in my living room to sync to the TV during sports matches.

I also use red and green lights in my daughters room so she knows when she can call us in the morning. If the light is still red when she wakes then its still night time but if its green she knows its time to get up.

I actually use the colour bulbs a lot more than i thought i would and would recommend getting them ahead of the whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Anyone got any recommendations for wall lamps (uplighters) that take any of the Phillips bulbs or ones that work on the hue system and aren't mad money? Any of the ones I've looked at take LED bulbs which Hue don't have a bulb for

Moving house and I need 6 to replace old ones, don't want to spend a bomb either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Yup,

Phenomenal value! It’s a pity I don’t need any more!!

Your right it is a great price.
    I don't need them right now but for some reason i have a strong urge to stock up on b22's and e27's :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Went for them in the end. With so much talk of them being 'phenomenal value' and 'never seen them these cheap before', I convinced myself they needed to be got.

Feckers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've been tracking the Philips outdoor lights.

I think many of the wall lights are over priced tbh.

I'd buy normal ones and add Philips lamps

I'm interested in the ip 65 sensors though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

duffman13 wrote:
    Anyone got any recommendations for wall lamps (uplighters) that take any of the Phillips bulbs or ones that work on the hue system and aren't mad money? Any of the ones I've looked at take LED bulbs which Hue don't have a bulb for

You should be able to get anything you want and add a Philips lamp,

Almost

I've the candle lamps in mine.

Why not have a look in the shops, Amazon are actually ok for fittings

Say you are looking at an E14 lamp

Search for wall light uplighter E14

Then add a hue e14 lamp

BTW Philips lamps are LED too. Do you mean fixed lamps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Stoner wrote: »
    You should be able to get anything you want and add a Philips lamp,

Almost

I've the candle lamps in mine.

Why not have a look in the shops, Amazon are actually ok for fittings

Say you are looking at an E14 lamp

Search for wall light uplighter E14

Then add a hue e14 lamp

BTW Philips lamps are LED too. Do you mean fixed lamps ?

Sorry yeah, I mean fixed indoor lamps! I've found a few e14 fixtures on Amazon that will do the job, thanks, completely forgot about e14

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I also use red and green lights in my daughters room so she knows when she can call us in the morning. If the light is still red when she wakes then its still night time but if its green she knows its time to get up.

Can I ask which Hue bulb are you using for this? And what sort of fitting/lamp?

I assume you aren't using the main room light?

Struggling to get my little one to sleep through the night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

bk wrote: »
    Can I ask which Hue bulb are you using for this? And what sort of fitting/lamp?

I assume you aren't using the main room light?

Struggling to get my little one to sleep through the night!

I use a Hue Go and put it under the bed so the light shines out but no direct light into her eyes. It took a while and it might be coincidence but she used to wake around 5:30 and start calling immediately but now she wakes about 6:15. If she does wake earlier i often hear her playing by herself and she starts calling us when the light goes green.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I use a Hue Go and put it under the bed so the light shines out but no direct light into her eyes. It took a while and it might be coincidence but she used to wake around 5:30 and start calling immediately but now she wakes about 6:15. If she does wake earlier i often hear her playing by herself and she starts calling us when the light goes green.

Cool, thanks, I've a Hue lamp that I could use similar to that. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hoping the GU10 warm white hue are gonna be on a good deal like last year. Twin pack of two and the third pack free. Need them for kitchen (8 GU10's)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Received my Amazon Black Friday purchases today. Got a B22 starter kit and 2 extra bulbs. Only issue is that 2 of the bulbs in the kit are damaged. There is a nub missing on both and won't sit in the holders properly. I've arranged a return with Amazon, do I wait until the replacements arrive before returning these or do I have to return them before the replacements will be sent out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

markc1184 wrote: »
    Received my Amazon Black Friday purchases today. Got a B22 starter kit and 2 extra bulbs. Only issue is that 2 of the bulbs in the kit are damaged. There is a nub missing on both and won't sit in the holders properly. I've arranged a return with Amazon, do I wait until the replacements arrive before returning these or do I have to return them before the replacements will be sent out?

Get the return label off them, you print it out and send from post office.

No charge to you.

Do it right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

markc1184 wrote: »

They send the replacement's straight away. But they make it so easy to return stuff that you should be able to send the faulty items back straight away...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a bunch of Philips hue lights, all screw in, bayonet or led strips... And a few sensors. I like to automate actions...

Hoping to move house in the new year & instead of replacing all the spots, was considering installing WiFi light switches

Anyone done this? Which ones are good? Would they work with my Harmony Hub? I use Google Home rather than Alexa...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,397 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Are the Hue Plsy lights with getting?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have a bunch of Philips hue lights, all screw in, bayonet or led strips... And a few sensors. I like to automate actions...

Hoping to move house in the new year & instead of replacing all the spots, was considering installing WiFi light switches

Anyone done this? Which ones are good? Would they work with my Harmony Hub? I use Google Home rather than Alexa...

The hue light switches work just fine.

The nearest thing to a euro switch is the new button they have, you can get a UK square plate for it that it sits in.

Then there are the circular and rectangular switches, I've both and don't use either. I don't really like the look of them at all

The button is over priced for what it is, but is the nearest thing to the switches we use in Ireland and the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Bit the bullet and in the middle of fully replacing the 24 osram lightify gu10s I have in the house with hue gu10s,
    The osrams worked ok on their own but didn’t turn off fully when controlled by hue and didn’t match other hue lights colour temp wise or
    respond very well to the motion sensors, or control by google home via hue.

Advertisement