Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

It would be great to just replace the wired switch with a replacement wired/smart philips switch. Than to add another (philips)smart switch beside the wired dumb switch.

Ah right got ya! Ye wouldn’t agree with putting another switch beside the original. Would be handy even if they came with the standard screw holes so you could remove normal switch and leave cables behind, then mount new switch in place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Ah right got ya! Ye wouldn’t agree with putting another switch beside the original. Would be handy even if they came with the standard screw holes so you could remove normal switch and leave cables behind, then mount new switch in place

I have the dimmer switches(they have an adhesive backing so easy to put up) beside my normal wired switch in most rooms, but I find that you or guests in your house can use the wired switch (accidentally) which then turns off the light and kills any automation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have the dimmer switches(they have an adhesive backing so easy to put up) beside my normal wired switch in most rooms, but I find that you or guests in your house can use the wired switch (accidentally) which then turns off the light and kills any automation.

There are a number of options to cover the existing switch so that you or guests don't accidentally use it, but still allow access if need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I have a lamp behind my TV as well as a lightstrip taped to the back of the TV. I also cut down two bulbs to put into two light pillars outside in the back. I have Hue connected to Alexa and my Harmony Hub/Elite remote and they are set up as "TV Lights" and "Garden Lights". I would love to set up my sittingroom ceiling lights but my current light fixture consists of G9 bulbs and I'm not gone on the current Smart ceiling light fixtures.
    I haven't any switches 'cos I use my Remote Control, phone or Alexa to control the sittingroom lights. I may get one for the outside lights. Has anyone used the little smart relay boxes for light fixtures? Unfortunately my light switch does not have a live wire so I cannot use those. But I see many of these smart relay boxes advertised on Amazon and Ali-express etc.
    I had used my garden lights originally in my bedroom (They are the standard internal bulbs) but they kept turning on blue in the middle of the night. I had heard that this may be down to some ITTT application running on my phone so I removed them but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

paulbok wrote: »
    Weird, the dead bulb came back to life a while ago. Had tried it in another fitting yesterday, tried hard switching on/off but had remained dead and unreachable by any app.
    Lights are on an hour or so tonight and it came back on itself.

Bulb gone off again, must have developed a fault. May come back on eventually but will have to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

paulbok wrote: »
    Bulb gone off again, must have developed a fault. May come back on eventually but will have to replace.

Get onto Philips and see will they replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Get onto Philips and see will they replace it.

I contacted them and they gave a few suggestions to reset/flash the bulb to see if that works.
    So far it has :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is there a way to tell if the gu10 bulb will fit before buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I synced my philips tv up with the lamps in my living room today. I must say that the sync is very very good. Even my wife was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I synced my philips tv up with the lamps in my living room today. I must say that the sync is very very good. Even my wife was impressed.

I set up the sync and it just flashed different colours was really annoying.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

How do you do that? The synch?
    Philips only tvs?

I set up the sync and it just flashed different colours was really annoying.

That's what mine was doing at the start as well until I set it to follow video instead of audio.
    How do you do that? The synch?
    Philips only tvs?

It's an ambilight tv so at the moment I think a sync is only possible with that tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

That's what mine was doing at the start as well until I set it to follow video instead of audio.

It's an ambilight tv so at the moment I think a sync is only possible with that tv.

ambilight tv on my shopping list so!

How do I do that?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

How do I do that?

It was in the 'all settings and then ambilight style options for me. You can also configure where the bulbs are in relation to the tv and how far away they are.

It was in the 'all settings and then ambilight style options for me. You can also configure where the bulbs are in relation to the tv and how far away they are.

Which app?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi guys I have a sensor doing the hall and landing light and also one in the kitchen.
    Just wondering is there any way I can get a notification on my phone through the app or any other app on my phone when they are any activated sort of like a security feature while I'm away.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

^^

When I first got a few of these sensors, I used to check the 'motion detected' status on the app when I was in work for peace of mind. One day all the sensors were triggered at the same time while I was out, I was convinced there was an intruder. It turned out that there had been a software update that day and this triggered the 'motion detection' timestamp!

Got myself a nest cam after, and never worry about that type of thing anymore. Would definitely recommend some sort of indoor IP camera for peace of mind when your out. Nest and Philips hue work together aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Lads 5 colour bulbs, the bridge, the switch for 146. Will I do better on black Friday or pull the trigger now?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

peteb2 wrote: »
    Lads 5 colour bulbs, the bridge, the switch for 146. Will I do better on black Friday or pull the trigger now?

That’s a very good price

• Advertisement

Which app?

It in the settings on the TV itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

The GU10 starter pack is available in Dixon's at Dublin airport for 169...I got the E27 starter for 159 a few weeks ago just as they were about to up the price to 169...that's the first time they've had this in stock.

A320 wrote: »
    The GU10 starter pack is available in Dixon's at Dublin airport for 169...I got the E27 starter for 159 a few weeks ago just as they were about to up the price to 169...that's the first time they've had this in stock.

For a long time Amazon had the colour GU10’s at about £32 each, and/or part of he 3 for 3 deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

I'm gonna see what's on offer black Friday...I need 4 for definite maybe can add 2 more GU10s too....I just priced newer Light fittings at about 6 quid for the bigger gu10s

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

The 5 colour bulb deal +switch +hub for £123 is best price I’ve seen ,looks like it has gone up a bit now tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

My hue starter kit came today. Cannot explain the satisfaction of saying good night to Google and all lights turning off !! I'm hooked!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

RonTon wrote: »
    The 5 colour bulb deal +switch +hub for £123 is best price I’ve seen ,looks like it has gone up a bit now tho

125.05 for me, but did let me add the 80gbp twin pack bulbs as the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

Got my 5 pack of colour bulbs today ,2 bayonet and 3 screw , with a dimmer switch and a spare hub ,moved around lights to have colour ones outside and in hall...
    Great fun with the ‘on switch lighting’ app on iOS ,I’m like a kid with a new toy ,for Halloween setting it has spooky music to go with lighting effects that you can play on a Bluetooth speaker .

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I got the set of twin colour bulbs today, no sign of the 3 pack as yet. Put the twin colour each side of door and tried the Halloween lab. Bit ****e tbh, one wobbly green, one wobbly orange either side of door.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    I got the set of twin colour bulbs today, no sign of the 3 pack as yet. Put the twin colour each side of door and tried the Halloween lab. Bit ****e tbh, one wobbly green, one wobbly orange either side of door.

Get Huelloween.

I’ve been using it the last 3 years and it’s excellent

Advertisement