Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Try only doing 1 at a time via the serial number method.

Also try the bulbs in a different lamp (one as close to the bridge as possible)

Sometimes it just takes 2-3 searches before a bulb is found.

When searching for a serial number, do any bulbs pulse off and on?

Yeah tried turning all the other bulbs off and just turning the bulb i was trying to search on at the nearest point to the hub which is a few feet away where another bulb works ok.

Searching with serial just brought no new lights found

confuzzled

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

limnam wrote: »
    Yeah tried turning all the other bulbs off and just turning the bulb i was trying to search on at the nearest point to the hub which is a few feet away where another bulb works ok.

confuzzled

Try one of the aftermarket Hue apps like All4Hue

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

limnam wrote: »

confuzzled

No, turn on every hue bulb you have when you search for new bulbs, the bulbs all talk to each other and help expand the network they all communicate on.

They don’t need to be lighting, just have power going to them (and that they are already connected to your hub).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

Try Lampfinder if you are using Windows. Worked a treat for me.

Ionised wrote: »
    Try Lampfinder if you are using Windows. Worked a treat for me.

I had read about it yesterday but don't have a windows machine at home I'll bring one from work tomorrow and give it a go.

Looks decent!

• Advertisement

It's sometimes taken me 3-4 attempts to pair a certain bulb using the serial number method. It seems nothing will happen, then suddenly it works, sometimes after pairing other bulbs, and then going back to the problem bulb.

No, turn on every hue bulb you have when you search for new bulbs, the bulbs all talk to each other and help expand the network they all communicate on.

They don’t need to be lighting, just have power going to them (and that they are already connected to your hub).

:o

Turned them all on and it's picked them up.

Thanks for the pointer didn't realize they were repeating the signal

Anyone get any of the newer hue offerings like the outdoor flood light or outdoor sensor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Anyone get any of the newer hue offerings like the outdoor flood light or outdoor sensor?

Outdoor light strip. Yet to install though. Looking forward to it. Could be end of summer. Thinking along the base of decking.
    Well made but of course it's way over the odds for what you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

I want to get a friend a few hue bulbs as a house warming present. They've got pretty much all b22 fittings. Has anyone seen a decent price for a starter kit with a hub and some white / colour hue bayonet bulbs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I want to get a friend a few hue bulbs as a house warming present. They've got pretty much all b22 fittings. Has anyone seen a decent price for a starter kit with a hub and some white / colour hue bayonet bulbs?

You can get an adapter.

The GU10 were a good price recently at 3 and hub for £99

That was on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I wish I was your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Think the starter kits are on a deal on amazon at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I have 7 lily spots, an outdoor sensor and a flood. Very happy with them (despite the high cost). Although since I have the sensor switching on two indoor rooms if it’s triggered at night those rooms have been switching themselves off at 8.26pm each night. Sorta random as I can’t find any automation I’ve set up to do that. Feeling it is related to sunset....

Do you have 2 control boxes for the Lily spots? As I read that a max of 5 lily’s Can be run off 1 control box.

I have 5 lily’s Myself almost a year and love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Do you have 2 control boxes for the Lily spots? As I read that a max of 5 lily’s Can be run off 1 control box.

I have 5 lily’s Myself almost a year and love them.

I bought two kits and a single when there was a recent Amazon deal. The single one was missing a part so while I was waiting for that to be replaced I ran the other 6 off the one box. I was ignorant to the 5 light max. They seemed to work fine. When the single arrived I then separated them to two boxes as on one run I want to add another spot and maybe a led strip.

My problem is that I'm up to the limit of one Hue hub :eek:

Anyone go for any of the new Hue fare on offer lately?
    They seem to expanding the range out from just bulbs as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 LarryBarry

Hi,

Anybody got any advice on experience with an installation method for hue light strip that will be in a ceiling plastered cove’s.

The install will consist of 2/3 separate 10meter installations depending on final design

I was hoping to have the PSU & Controller located in a central location.
    One run is only 2/3 meters away from this proposed location but the other would be 6/7 meters away from start of light strip.
    Ive seen the Litcessory kits,Would Sticking 2/3 of the extensions together cause a volt drop on the strip?
    Would running a multi core flex say 1.5 CSA cores & splicing be better over a longer run to the strip?

Would the light strip controller & PSU fit up a 76mm hole? - I could use an adjacent downlighter as location to house the control kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I got 2 off the edison style bulbs and also the smart plug. The bulbs are a lot nicer looking than I expected and the plug works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Im going to be getting some of the timer hue sockets. Waiting until Black Friday though. Also need to offload some of my TP links to subsidise them.

I'd rather they were all in the one app & the profile on them is great.

• Advertisement

Spooky Halloween.... Set all the lights up throughout the house and had the Halloween app going linked to the Bluetooth speaker...

Have to say it went down well as some kids were to afraid to knock and others were videoing the house and taking photos...

Lots were just coming up and chatting outside and many complimented how well it looked.

I've a lot to do next year as have make some additions and improvements.

102 callers to the house and we were even working off a Q at one time...

We weren't here last year as not long after buying our place but it was a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Spooky Halloween.... Set all the lights up throughout the house and had the Halloween app going linked to the Bluetooth speaker...

Have to say it went down well as some kids were to afraid to knock and others were videoing the house and taking photos...

Lots were just coming up and chatting outside and many complimented how well it looked.

I've a lot to do next year as have make some additions and improvements.

102 callers to the house and we were even working off a Q at one time...

We weren't here last year as not long after buying our place but it was a great night.

Which app did you use?

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Which app did you use?

Hue Halloween, paid the extra bit to add the locked sounds too.

Went down very well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm looking to pick up a few Hue items in the coming weeks. At the minute the starter kits are on Amazon for about £115. Can anyone remember what they went for in the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales last year? Is it worth hanging on for these sales?

markc1184 wrote: »
    I'm looking to pick up a few Hue items in the coming weeks. At the minute the starter kits are on Amazon for about £115. Can anyone remember what they went for in the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales last year? Is it worth hanging on for these sales?

best price teh starter kits ever were was £90 I think, but that was about 2 years ago.

when you've no more room in the house for Hue stuff, you tend to stop looking for it on Amazon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

when you've no more room in the house for Hue stuff, you tend to stop looking for it on Amazon!!

They do garden lights now too :-)

BigAl81 wrote: »
    They do garden lights now too :-)

yeah I installed 5 of the spots when they came out last year!!

literally no room anywhere.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

yeah I installed 5 of the spots when they came out last year!!

literally no room anywhere.......

Ha, I should have known! Would you recommend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Any good hue lights for bathroom the coloured ones??

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Ha, I should have known! Would you recommend them?

YeAh, their decent enough, and still work fine after about 18 months, but are way too expensive!!

Advertisement