Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes I have heard that alright, I will be showing the colour GU10 to the electrician before he puts any fitting in the ceilings , just to make sure they all fit

You want these kind of fittings to hold the colour GU10 bulbs;
    This type will hold the colour GU10 (providing there is enough space in the ceiling cavity (which there would be)) I have 10 of these in my kitchen holding colour GU10's, and 4 on my Landing holding White Ambiance GU10's
    gu10-lamp-fitting_1426_2292_1842.jpg

This is the 'top hat' style fitting that wont fit a colour Hue GU10, but will fit a White Ambiance Hue GU10 - I've 6 of these in my attic holding White Ambiance GU10's
    2375.1.jpg

or here from another thread;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107009114&postcount=1147

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chrisoleary89

You want these kind of fittings to hold the colour GU10 bulbs;

or here from another thread;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107009114&postcount=1147

TVM, I appreciate all the info, if you guys had the option of putting the colour bulbs in the hallway landing or a bedroom which way would you go?

I think the colour bulbs would look great in the shower area of a bathroom/ensuite.

TVM, I appreciate all the info, if you guys had the option of putting the colour bulbs in the hallway landing or a bedroom which way would you go?

I think the colour bulbs would look great in the shower area of a bathroom/ensuite.

Put Colour bulbs everywhere, thats what I ended up doing!!

out of 50 lights, only non colours are 6 white ambiance spots in the attic, and 2 outdoor lights!

Put Colour bulbs everywhere, thats what I ended up doing!!

out of 50 lights, only non colours are 6 white ambiance spots in the attic, and 2 outdoor lights!

I would love to put the colour bulbs every where :) But the cost is a bit prohibitive when 2 white bulbs cost the same as one colour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

For me, I wouldn't bother putting colour bulbs in the hallway or landing. White ambiance is enough for me.

I like the idea of Colour accent lighting in the bathroom but like i said couldn't find ip44 fittings that i liked that could take colour bulbs length.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I have the colour ones in my bathroom over the bath\shower - 3 GU10s and one B22 in the normal light in there. all working fine two years on.

I also have a GU10 in a spot out my back garden outside the back door also still working two years out there. I know they arent rated for rain or whatever but mine are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 denisfarran

Does anyone know of any current special offers on hue bulbs at the minute?

When I started looking at Hue back in April, I bought a plain white 2 bulb E27 starter kit in a sale. I think about £49. Amazon

Wound up buying another 6 plain white E27s ‘Used, Like New’, from Amazon, all in single packs, for between £5.50 & £6, where twin packs ‘Used’ were all £14+. Problem with 1 bulb, returned it the following day, refunded.

The rest of the bulbs were in unsealed, original packaging. I reckon the people that bought them, opened them & saw they weren’t B22’s & returned them immediately. Every one of those bulbs I bought had firmware that was more than 12 months old.

Prices are a good bit higher recently as they actually ran out of stock of some lines after Prime Day, and everything is back at RRP on Amazon, and the discount on used stuff is not big enough to take the chance.

I think there are currently a couple of things on a buy 2, get 30% off, but there were way better deals earlier in the year. I got 3 for 2 on twin pack color B22s for £129 in early June (6 bulbs).

Keep watching is the best advice, oh, & set up a few sensible ‘Desired Price’s on camelcamelcamel

When I started looking at Hue back in April, I bought a plain white 2 bulb E27 starter kit in a sale. I think about £49. Amazon

Wound up buying another 6 plain white E27s ‘Used, Like New’, from Amazon, all in single packs, for between £5.50 & £6, where twin packs ‘Used’ were all £14+. Problem with 1 bulb, returned it the following day, refunded.

The rest of the bulbs were in unsealed, original packaging. I reckon the people that bought them, opened them & saw they weren’t B22’s & returned them immediately. Every one of those bulbs I bought had firmware that was more than 12 months old.

Prices are a good bit higher recently as they actually ran out of stock of some lines after Prime Day, and everything is back at RRP on Amazon, and the discount on used stuff is not big enough to take the chance.

I think there are currently a couple of things on a buy 2, get 30% off, but there were way better deals earlier in the year. I got 3 for 2 on twin pack color B22s for £129 in early June (6 bulbs).

Keep watching is the best advice, oh, & set up a few sensible ‘Desired Price’s on camelcamelcamel

Some great advice,thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Outdoor lightstips avail for pre-order on Amazon.de now shipping Oct 15th:

https://homekitnews.com/2018/08/20/philips-hue-outdoor-lightstrips-now-available-for-pre-order-on-amazon-de/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/20/philips-hue-play-and-signe-lighting/

Play and Signe promise real floor-to-ceiling ambiance.

Very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

They’re dumb fixtures. No dynamic colours.

There’s an opportunity for someone to build a similiar light stand that runs a light strip in it. I’m surprised that isn’t what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

OU812 wrote: »
    They’re dumb fixtures. No dynamic colours.

There’s an opportunity for someone to build a similiar light stand that runs a light strip in it. I’m surprised that isn’t what they did.

Or partner up with Star Wars and have them look like light sabers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

You sure about that? The info appears to hint at colour and linking it to the Hue Sync stuff

Silly question, if I buy hue bulbs from Amazon France/Germany will i have any problem with them working here in Ireland?

Silly question, if I buy hue bulbs from Amazon France/Germany will i have any problem with them working here in Ireland?

No problem at all with them working here at all.
    Just make sure you buy the correct bulb for your light
    GU10
    e27
    e14
    b22
    etc

Thats great, It seems to be cheaper to buy starter kits which include a dimmer switch than individual bulbs at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You'll probably get the Edison Screw (E26) type bulb from mainland Europe, while we generally have the Bayonet type fixture (B22). You can pick up adapters but they add bulk to the light fixture.

xckjoo wrote: »
    You'll probably get the Edison Screw (E26) type bulb from mainland Europe, while we generally have the Bayonet type fixture (B22). You can pick up adapters but they add bulk to the light fixture.

I ordered an E27 Colour starter kit from Amazon Germany, might there be any hassle with those?

I ordered an E27 Colour starter kit from Amazon Germany, might there be any hassle with those?

No, a lot of newer light fittings are E27 or E14 (all Ikea stuff is E (Edison Screw), older Irish fitting would have been B22 (Bayonet), so if your lights are B22, just get an E27-B22 adaptor on ebay, they are cheap as chips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

No, if you have screw in bulbs, they are perfect, If you have bayonet type type, ikea sell adapters. 1.50 for two. They will be fine though

Had my first Hue bulb die on me tonight, colour e27, just under 2.5 years. Anyone else lose bulbs yet, assuming most on here started around the time this forum began?

Estimate about 4,000 hours done so way off the expected. Wouldn't be subject to major dimming or colour switching.

Have another 2 used in tandem with it in the same room, 3 ceiling lights, so will be interesting to see how long they last now.

paulbok wrote: »
    Had my first Hue bulb die on me tonight, colour e27, just under 2.5 years. Anyone else lose bulbs yet, assuming most on here started around the time this forum began?

Estimate about 4,000 hours done so way off the expected. Wouldn't be subject to major dimming or colour switching.

Have another 2 used in tandem with it in the same room, 3 ceiling lights, so will be interesting to see how long they last now.

My oldest bulbs are approaching 5 years old (E27 colour), and are still working fine!!

Weird, the dead bulb came back to life a while ago. Had tried it in another fitting yesterday, tried hard switching on/off but had remained dead and unreachable by any app.
    Lights are on an hour or so tonight and it came back on itself.

New Hue add for the upcoming Q4 smart switches.
    Looks like they may be only wireless versions.
    October release but no exact date or prices yet.

Also end of year update coming that will remember last settings when power is restored after a cut or physical switch off.

Hue confirmed on Twitter the switches are wireless only.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Whats the issue with them being wireless only?

Whats the issue with them being wireless only?

It would be great to just replace the wired switch with a replacement wired/smart philips switch. Than to add another (philips)smart switch beside the wired dumb switch.

• Advertisement

It would be great to just replace the wired switch with a replacement wired/smart philips switch. Than to add another (philips)smart switch beside the wired dumb switch.

That, not looking at 2 switches in every room.
    Also not everyone wants or needs smart bulbs in every room.
    I have them in my kitchen but never change scenes or colours, so would have been better (financially speaking) off with a smart switch and dumb bulbs.

I'll see if a solution comes up to neatly mount them over the existing switch, else I'll be looking elsewhere for a switch.

Advertisement