Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    Ive a feeling it will be an average summer, rain/showers most days, a few dry weeks with temps hitting 23C on a few days, maybe a few 25's in the west. Mostly 16-19C throughout.

Well so far like me, you're kind of correct.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Has been a brilliant day today, kids had a great day in the garden.

LEIN wrote: »
    Has been a brilliant day today, kids had a great day in the garden.

Well expect another 2 brilliant days! :)

fryup wrote: »
    just a quick question about sat24

the time thats highlighted on the counter, is that irish time or cet time?

Says GMT in the top left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

why is Dublin and Meath getting much cooler temps on Tuesday compared to everywhere else at only 21/23C?

Crazy temps over northern France close to 38C.

• Advertisement

why is Dublin and Meath getting much cooler temps on Tuesday compared to everywhere else at only 21/23C?

'Em I'm expecting 27c on Tuesday.... a temperature of such occurs at an average per 2-3 years here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Cork Airport warmest station in the country at 8pm :cool:

23 degrees (Up from 22 at 7pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well it looks like it will be the sea breeze?

South-easterly flow... Still going to feel oppressive and will likely reach 25C a few miles inland from the coast.

Some impressive 850hPa temps with the +15C isotherm edging in for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Well guys which beach do you reckon to hit to get the best out of the next two days??

Jet remaining somewhat quiet into FI, hopefully a decent HP will anchor over us in the coming weeks and block it outright.

• Advertisement

kittyn wrote: »
    Well guys which beach do you reckon to hit to get the best out of the next two days??

Brittas Bay in South Wicklow is a great spot, might not be too busy but would hit early if heading.

It must be stressed that Tuesday isn't looking a pure roaster.

Could well be widespread thunderstorms.

Tomorrow will likely be best day. Will be vert pleasant along eastern fringes with temperatures tipping to 25/26C

Maybe it is possible if showers do not break out on Tuesday that somewhere nears 30C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tomorrow wont be pleasant for those in offices wearing suits and ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

LEIN wrote: »
    Brittas Bay in South Wicklow is a great spot, might not be too busy but would hit early if heading.

It can be quite a breezy beach though so I'm thinking to get the best of the next two days of be best off staying put in sunny south Dublin or hitting Blessington lakes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Can half the country where this good weather didn't occur today expect anything better tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. 9Pm and 22.9ºc with a Humidex of 29.9ºc!!

tomorrow wont be pleasant for those in offices wearing suits and ties.

Just taking closer look at some guidance here and I couldn't rule out a 28C in south Dublin tomorrow. With any urban heat island effect it will feel more like London than Dublin.

Casement/ Phoenix Park should easily hit 27C

Can half the country where this good weather didn't occur today expect anything better tomorrow?

Yes you can expect better weather tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Possibly 29 degrees Tuesday,locally,siobhan Ryan,rte forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Tomorrows chart is wall to wall sunshine apart S and E extreme coastal fringes. Tuesday looking hotter but a higher chance of convection. Enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Had a thankfully very brief shower today but it was the first time since 2013 that I seen proper steam rising off things after it passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    So according to the chart above, we could expect 17c in the Irish Sea. This will also be the highest in Irish waters since July 2013.

That is amazing you posted that as I went for my first swim in the Irish sea today in about 10 years as I always found it way colder than my more familiar south west Ireland Atlantic waters so was always put off but the heat today encouraged me and lo and behold, I didn't find it that cold at all and it was especially pleasant after a few minutes. Definitely the warmest that I can remember the water.

Lucreto wrote: »
    Need a really cold winter as we haven't had one since especially after last year. But after Christmas this time.

Hopefully a strong La Nina, mix with the low solar output and hope we get an Icelandic volcano eruption might help will bring some joy this Winter.

Oh I forgot to reply to this comment. If you saw my predictions back in last December, you saw that I was fairly optimistic on a cold Winter 2016/17 with December being the coldest in 6 years and over 6c colder than December 2015.

ongarboy wrote: »
    That is amazing you posted that as I went for my first swim in the Irish sea today in about 10 years as I always found it way colder than my more familiar south west Ireland Atlantic waters so was always put off but the heat today encouraged me and lo and behold, I didn't find it that cold at all and it was especially pleasant after a few minutes. Definitely the warmest that I can remember the water.

If you went in July 2013, the Irish waters hit an all-time record of 20.0c.

This is shaping up for real this time to be an average summer. June had a very warm spell and now July is having a very warm spell. Whilst both months had their very cool moments also. They are very similar to each other.

Btw, my mean temperature for July is now +1.1c above the LTA, RISING FAST!!

2016 has been like this so far.

January: Very wet, mild and dull in most places.
    February: Cool, wet and sunny.
    March: Cold, dry and sunny.
    April: Very cool with dull conditions in many places and variable rainfall.
    May: Very sunny, warm and dry.
    June: Very warm, wet and dull.
    July: Cool, wet and dull so far in many places.

So, 7 months into the year and we have 4 cool months so far (July not over yet) and 3 warm months so far. There are 3 widely wet months with two quite variable ones and 2 dry months so far. There are 3 sunny months and 4 dull months so far.

2016 overall according to these has been slightly cool in some places whilst others have been due to May and June's warmth, much wetter than normal and quite dull in many places but again like temperature, very variable.

My station for example has recorded warmer, wetter and sunnier than normal conditions during the year so far.

There have been no big record breaking months so far as expected. Of course we have some records like the warmest January night on record and one of the sunniest Mays on record etc but nothing big.

From experience out in the weather, January was a mix of very awful moments whilst other times, it was actually very pleasant here, so I can't really rate anything awful or great about it overall. February was much the same as January. March was meh.... despite the dry spell, I have seen much better Marches than 2016. Hell even March 2015 was better! April was god awful, the second worst April I've ever seen after 2012. May was awesome, I loved the month so much. It was the best May since 2010 and my fourth favourite ever. June was pretty much like March like June 2015 was better even though it was colder. July has so far been quite pleasant here and is one of the better especially in comparison with 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2015.

The big difference between this summer and last summer is that last summer was crap for the majority of the country throughout the summer and the eastern fringe of the country held onto fine conditions but the temps never really got much past 23C anywhere in the country, whereas this summer we've already had temperature spikes of 26 and 27C in a few places.

The big difference between this summer and last summer is that last summer was crap for the majority of the country throughout the summer and the eastern fringe of the country held onto fine conditions but the temps never really got much past 23C anywhere in the country, whereas this summer we've already had temperature spikes of 26 and 27C in a few places.

I only recorded 23c or more on June 30th, July 1st/3rd and August 18th last Summer. This Summer so far, I have recorded it on June 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th AND July 15th/16th/17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

20.4c right now which is remarkable!

• Advertisement

Met Éireann says a minimum temperature of around 16c expected :pac:. It's 19.8c right now at Grange, otherwise, my third warmest night on record.

Advertisement