Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda & Cyclist close call

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abbey47

The driver was aggressive, impatient and imp incorrect but that does my take away from the fact that the hero cyclist who 100% took a certain position to show the car owner who's boss.. And imo the cyclist picked a fight here and was a bigger arsehole than the driver.. Once again il say, the driver was wrong but the cyclist was thinking about posting a video from the minute that car came into his view..

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭mp31

He pulled out as far as he could, held back and then accelerated

... and thereby endangering the cyclist and breaking the rules of the road (see below kindly provided by another poster)
    SI No. 182 of 1997. s. 10 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

(1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.
    (2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver—

( a ) is free from approaching traffic, pedestrians and any obstruction, and

( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.

It is a stated penalty-point offence with 2 points and a fine of €80.
    As I said before in this thread, would the cyclist have done the same thing if it had been a garda car in full livery? Of course not, so he was obviously trying to police this lane himself.

Who knows what the cyclist would have done - it's irrelevant. The cyclist was attempting to ensure his own safety against the actions of another driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

mp31 wrote: »
    ... and thereby endangering the cyclist and breaking the rules of the road (see below kindly provided by another poster)

Who knows what the cyclist would have done - it's irrelevant. The cyclist was attempting to ensure his own safety against the actions of another driver.

No the cyclist was trying to police the lane after he realised he was going to be overtaken by a car he thought shouldn't have been in the bus lane.

If he was attempting to ensure his own safety he would have taken a dominant lane position before opening himself up to being overtaken dangerously. I'm not excusing the dangerous driving I'm refuting the idea that he made the situation any safer for himself by blocking the overtake and then goading the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭mp31

Abbey47 wrote: »
    Once again il say, the driver was wrong but the cyclist was thinking about posting a video from the minute that car came into his view..

.. or maybe the cyclist was just thinking about the best way to maintain his own safety

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abbey47

mp31 wrote: »
    .. or maybe the cyclist was just thinking about the best way to maintain his own safety

Whatever u may think urself but if that's how he "protects" himself cycling round the city he's on a fast track to disaster imo.. Nothing at all safe about his actions.. And remember were not discussing the drivers actions as I'm sure nobody here will say he covered himself in glory either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

No the cyclist was trying to police the lane after he realised he was going to be overtaken by a car he thought shouldn't have been in the bus lane.

If he was attempting to ensure his own safety he would have taken a dominant lane position before opening himself up to being overtaken dangerously. I'm not excusing the dangerous driving I'm refuting the idea that he made the situation any safer for himself by blocking the overtake and then goading the driver

You've heard from many cyclists that they believe that he was attempting to ensure his safety. They came to this conclusion through experience of cycling around Dublin. How did you manage to read the cyclists mind come to your conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think the whole Crux of the matter is the driver is a member of the police force who are tasked with upholding the law and protecting public safety, his actions were completely unnecessary in forcing his way down the bus lane, and if the Garda in question truly believed that the bicyclist was breaking the rules he would have pulled over, taken his details and/or called for the traffic corps to come deal with the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Chronicler

traprunner wrote: »
    They came to this conclusion through experience of cycling around Dublin.

I suspect it was more of a kneejerk herd reaction to jump to the defence of 'one of their own'.

traprunner wrote: »
    How did you manage to read the cyclists mind come to your conclusion?

For me, I watched the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Lumen wrote: »
    Therefore we should expect the driver to be the bigger person, particularly when they're a member of AGS.

Hmmm...expect, as in that is the way an officer of the law should act, or that is the way we think they are likely to act. For me, it's the latter, as I too have been on the bad end of a Garda being completely in the wrong a few times and using bullying tactics to finish things off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Chronicler wrote: »
    I suspect it was more of a kneejerk herd reaction to jump to the defence of 'one of their own'.

I think you'll find that most cyclists also drive too. So one of their own is also a motorist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd hazard a guess that the considerable majority of cyclists here are also motorists. why aren't they also having a kneejerk reaction in favour of the motorist?

or does the idea that someone who is a cyclist and a motorist, will probably have a more nuanced opinion than someone who is only a motorist, not sit well with you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Chronicler

i'd hazard a guess that the considerable majority of cyclists here are also motorists. why aren't they also having a kneejerk reaction in favour of the motorist?

or does the idea that someone who is a cyclist and a motorist, will probably have a more nuanced opinion than someone who is only a motorist, not sit well with you?

Who do you think is 'only a motorist' as a matter of interest?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Didn't the RSA run a campaign called 'Staying Alive at 1.5', i.e cars should leave 1.5m to overtake cyclists?

No, that was one private individual in Wexford working selflessly. Those shaggers deserve no credit for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Lumen wrote: »
    The difference is that the driver is operating a couple of tons of killing machine and the cyclist in on 20kgs of metal tubes and rubber.

Therefore we should expect the driver to be the bigger person, particularly when they're a member of AGS.
    I'd be thinking more of "duty of care" than "being the bigger person"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

it's mandatory for a cyclist to use hand gestures, such as when indicating intention to change lane or execute a turn.

If only that were the actual hand/arm gestures given.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

It's a meeting of two tossers. However the cops actions are the only ones thast could result in injury.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Who do you think is 'only a motorist' as a matter of interest?
    the hypothetical motorist who doesn't cycle, from my question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

bubblypop wrote: »
    The car was a Garda car.
    Quite entitled to drive in the bus lane

It was an unmarked Garda car so in my view it had no business in

the bus lane. I'm well aware that emergency vehicles have priority

should they need access in an emergency but this was no emergency

but poor driving and behaviour from a public servant.

I still argue though that cyclists should not be allowed on

the quays and that this cyclist should have more regard for other road users

especially on a bike like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It was an unmarked Garda car so in my view it had no business in

the bus lane. I'm well aware that emergency vehicles have priority

should they need access in an emergency but this was no emergency

but poor driving and behaviour from a public servant.

the quays
    and that cyclist should have more regard for other road users

especially on a bike like that.

Why?

There's nothing inherently dangerous about the Quays - it's driver behaviour that makes them problematic - why not remove the danger through enforcement and engineering instead of removing a class of road user?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

the quays and that cyclist should have more regard for other road users

You could look at it another way - the quays are in essence a dual carriageway of fast moving vehicular traffic either side.

Remove all these vehicles, create a nice cycle track, greenery and decent public path and problem solved.

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    Why?

There's nothing inherently dangerous about the Quays - it's driver behaviour that makes them problematic - why not remove the danger through enforcement and engineering instead of removing a class of road user?

I'm a little confused by your post JG. Is it driver behaviour or cyclist behaviour
    that makes who or what problematic? Who is classed as the danger?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    You could look at it another way - the quays are in essence a dual carriageway of fast moving vehicular traffic either side.

Remove all these vehicles, create a nice cycle track, greenery and decent public path and problem solved.

Maybe that is the answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm a little confused by your post JG. Is it driver behaviour or cyclist behaviour
    that makes who or what problematic? Who is classed as the danger?

Driver behaviour, in my view. A cyclist acting the maggot on the road is only ever going to hurt himself, a driver acting the maggot is likely only to hurt someone else and walk away largely unscathed.

Why do you think the Quays are so dangerous cyclists should be excluded from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Abbey47 wrote: »
    Whatever u may think urself but if that's how he "protects" himself cycling round the city he's on a fast track to disaster imo.. Nothing at all safe about his actions.. .

While I don't think the cyclist needed to move further into the lane, it would have been a more instructional video if he hadn't and the car had squeezed past.

But taking the lane is safer in many situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

taking the lane is safer if you do it before someone starts overtaking you, not while they're overtaking.. that's what caused the issue, him not being on the ball with his 'defensive' riding (which in this case turned into him endangering himself and angering the audi)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm just making the point it's not normal taking the lane in this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Garda are trained to de-escalate situations and keep the peace. This makes his actions even more wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

taking the lane is safer if you do it before someone starts overtaking you, not while they're overtaking.. that's what caused the issue, him not being on the ball with his 'defensive' riding (which in this case turned into him endangering himself and angering the audi)

Nail hit on head...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I do agree here, but some cyclists (and I am a cyclist) want one set of rules when a car is passing them out but feel a completely different set apply when they are passing cars....

Wow, that's plainly ridiculous and I'd suggest you either google "bow waves" or maybe try the below experiment.

Try passing alongside a stopped bus at < 0.5m
    Try letting a bus pass alongside you at <0.5m

If you feel there is no difference, you are either riding in a vacuum or you're dead.

The only danger a cyclist moving past a stopped car has is clipping your wing mirror, it's highly unlikely that you will be blown off the road or sucked under one of their wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Wow, that's plainly ridiculous and I'd suggest you either google "bow waves" or maybe try the below experiment.

Try passing alongside a stopped bus at < 0.5m
    Try letting a bus pass alongside you at <0.5m

If you feel there is no difference, you are either riding in a vacuum or you're dead.

The only danger a cyclist moving past a stopped car has is clipping your wing mirror, it's highly unlikely that you will be blown off the road or sucked under one of their wheels.
    Plus the cyclist knows exactly how far they are from a vehicle as they pass and can adjust immediately if necessary, wheras the driver has a limited view, displaced a few feet to the side

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement