Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda & Cyclist close call

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Have we a clear shot of the plates? According to wiki

Diplomatic plates are very similar to civilian format, except the small "CD" between index mark code and serial number.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Special_formats

Two things,
    Wiki is not the best place to research anything
    Diplomatic plates are not ghost/shadow plates

Ghost or shadow plates are by their nature 'a cul de sac'. Their purpose is to tell you nothing about the owner of the car and they can be changed from day to day so that nobody can follow the car or recognise it. They have a legitimate purpose. When police enter the number they will get a flag on the car but nothing will be on the public record.
    Anyway , we digress from the main topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Two things,
    Wiki is not the best place to research anything
    Diplomatic plates are not ghost/shadow plates

Ghost or shadow plates are by their nature 'a cul de sac'. Their purpose is to tell you nothing about the owner of the car and they can be changed from day to day so that nobody can follow the car or recognise it. They have a legitimate purpose. When police enter the number they will get a flag on the car but nothing will be on the public record.
    Anyway , we digress from the main topic.

well the driver of the car that we are supposed to know nothing about, is fairly well known now. A lot of bother to not screen for a discrete driver.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I never heard of such things but the diplomatic cars that I see have real plates.

See other post above. They exist and I have seen embassy staff cars with them when I worked abroad (another European country) Think high security and protecting the car from recognition. A plate can easily have a hidden (and real reg number) behind it.

well the driver of the car that we are supposed to know nothing about, is fairly well known now. A lot of bother to not screen for a discrete driver.

Perhaps, but the car is anonymous according to another poster so if it's a shadow plate, it worked...a driver can be changed easily, but not a car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The bike lane is clear,

he moves out into the road and cycles directly at the elderly lady crossing the road :

ybqmIn7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭ted1

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The driver says:

"Sorry, who exactly are you, this is a police car, you're blocking the bus lane, I'm just asking who you are"

As soon as the driver is told it's all being recorded he drives off.

Could be someone pretending to be a Garda. Now that would be of interest to the Gardai.

A Garda shouldn't say police he should always use Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭ted1

gctest50 wrote: »

The bike lane is clear,

he moves out into the road and cycles directly at the elderly lady crossing the road :

His other videos are not relevant , this thread is about is about one particular video

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

There are clear/potential issues of driving without due care and attention, aggressive behaviour, dangerous driving (these conditions are not waived for on duty / official driving even if pursuing a suspect etc), plus if not an official car, definite illegal use of the bus lane, possibly exceeding the speed limit, and use of the Garda badge for personal gain/self interest.

That's not the way it works here. Have a read of this, a Garda was "bombing" (according to witness ) down a bus lane in his private car on his way to court, which I don't think counts as an emergency, when he was involved in a fatal colision with an elderly pedestrian. Turns out the garda didn't have a licence and only ever held a provisional licence which was several years out of date. No day in court for the Garda involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

ted1 wrote: »
    His other videos are not relevant , this thread is about is about one particular video

His other videos are very relavant, gives a clear picture

He drives his electric cargobike straight at this elderly lady and blows the airhorn at her ( 11 seconds in ) :

The bike path is clear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Maybe the lady is also a ghost-lady with dodgy plates?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've driven along the Quays a few times and I appreciate how hard it is to see them no matter how often or hard you look.

I also feel that of all road users they take the greater chances leaving it
    to drivers of other vehicles to make allowances for their safety.

I also feel that they could be a little more considerate to other road users.

P.S. Since when have the footpaths of O'Connell Street become cycle lanes?

Seriously, you're saying that only on the Quays you have problems spotting cyclists? Perhaps drive with more 'care and attention'?

Second, when I'm on the bike I simply assume that drivers don't see me and cycle accordingly - but maybe others don't. But I do wonder how you can make such a generalisation as "of all road users they take the greater chances leaving it to drivers of other vehicles to make allowances for their safety."

Footpaths are not cycle lanes, and anyone (kids aside) found using them as such deserves the fixed penalty notice they get.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,098 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gctest50 wrote: »
    His other videos are very relavant, gives a clear picture
    No they are not. If anyone wishes to view his YouTube channel they know where to find it. None of that is relevant to this thread

Keep it on topic

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,191 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Jawgap wrote: »
    Footpaths are not cycle lanes, and anyone (kids aside) found using them as such deserves the fixed penalty notice they get.
    i may have asked this before, but if i did i can't remember what the answer was - but are unicycles legally equivalent to bicycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i may have asked this before, but if i did i can't remember what the answer was - but are unicycles legally equivalent to bicycles?
    No, the road traffic act only cover bicycles and tricycles.

There may be some confusion with regards to the word "vehicle", though I imagine in court someone could argue that a unicycle doesn't qualify as vehicle because it's not intended for transportation as it's primary use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

While tricycles are rarely used for transport (though they certainly are used that way by narrow section of the population), unicycles are different from bicycles and tricycles in that they were not initially developed for transportation purposes, as seamus said.

However, to my surprise, there are such things as touring unicycles, and even tandem unicycles:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcaryoutthere.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F04%2Fimage.jpg%3Fw%3D585&f=1

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia-cache-ec0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F26%2F14%2Fc8%2F2614c81e1025acb4c698f31b726c6ee2.jpg&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Guy on the bike was looking for trouble and a bit of footage, hope the Garda writes him a ticket if he makes a complaint and gives his details!

Guy on the bike was looking for trouble and a bit of footage, hope the Garda writes him a ticket if he makes a complaint and gives his details!

I hope he doesn't make a complaint - the Guard, while being a bit of a nobhead, doesn't deserve a GSOC inquiry - it'll cause him lot more aggro than the €40 fixed penalty will cause the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭randomname2005

No, that was one private individual in Wexford working selflessly. Those shaggers deserve no credit for that one.

I have noticed around Galway that some of the CityDirect buses have a 1.5m distance 'ad' on their back windows. I will look next time to see if there is some indication of who is sponsoring these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Maybe the lady is also a ghost-lady with dodgy plates?

I think I can make out what looks to be a real lady hiding behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Feed Up

A pair of clowns. The only point for debate is the % attributable to each party.

My personal view is that the driver is the bigger clown. He should have known and behaved better, and then to identify himself as a Guard.

The advise from the RSA, the AA and the Guards and all bodies involved in motoring and road safety is not to get involved in any sort of carry on whilst driving. Give a wide berth, ignore and go about your business.

You can argue all the exemptions in the world, the driver still has duty of care to other road users and in this specific instance as he identified himself to be a Guard, to follow Garda guidelines and regulations.

All the cyclist had to do was brush off the car and fall on the ground. GSOC and a whole new world of grief driving a desk for months and months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Feed Up wrote:
    All the cyclist had to do was brush off the car and fall on the ground. GSOC and a whole new world of grief driving a desk for months and months.

You sound like you might have a few dodgy insurance claims bagged yourself, lovely mindset!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I hope he doesn't make a complaint - the Guard, while being a bit of a nobhead, doesn't deserve a GSOC inquiry - it'll cause him lot more aggro than the €40 fixed penalty will cause the cyclist.

Fixed penalty for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭TheExile1878

Fixed penalty for what?

If you need to ask you must be a cyclist who thinks the roads are theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Inconsiderate cycling, I suppose. The blank cheque in the FPNs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

micks wrote: »
    Personally I think this is a private car - do the Garda have 8 year old cars?
    Although unclear from the vid - it looks like it has 2 discs insurance and tax - Garda cars dont
    it also has a eflow tag - dont think garda cars do

It's a Garda car. You can see the Wig-Wag lights in the video approx 30 seconds in. Plenty of Garda cars don't look like your 'typical' Garda cars, whether they be unmarked or not ...

Cyclist is foolish for swerving out and trying to block the car though when he knew only too well that the driver was attempting to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Feed Up

You sound like you might have a few dodgy insurance claims bagged yourself, lovely mindset!

No, passed my test in 1980 and no claims to date either side. Touch wood...........

That was back in the days of unregulated driving instruction. The best bit of advise I got was from a CIE bus driver was: "You're not in a hurry when you've had an accident".

Even further back in time I was going to a match in Croker, thousands of people milling around and some driver was trying to forces his way through the crowds, revving the engine, etc. One person brushed up against the driver's door and said something like "take your time and mind your insurance".

God, I sound old!

Fixed penalty for what?

Reg 4.b - cycling without reasonable consideration ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I have noticed around Galway that some of the CityDirect buses have a 1.5m distance 'ad' on their back windows. I will look next time to see if there is some indication of who is sponsoring these.

It's an initiative with The Great Galway Bike Ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Equal rights to the road as any other vehicle.
    Reg 4.b - cycling without reasonable consideration ;)

All he'd have to do is refute it, can't see a judge doing him. Got startled by the aggressive driving of the gard, turned to survey the scene and naturally drifted slightly. Wing mirrors are not required for a non MPV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭Benevolent Misanthrope

They are. They belong to all road users.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement