Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda & Cyclist close call

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Driver is wrong, don't see how there can be any discussion. What bothers me about overtakes like this is that if it was a parked car the driver wouldn't take the risk, but when it is a human on a bicycle they are happy to leave a few inches of space; evidently if it doesn't pose any danger to their car then it's grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

jive wrote: »
    Driver is wrong, don't see how there can be any discussion. What bothers me about overtakes like this is that if it was a parked car the driver wouldn't take the risk, but when it is a human on a bicycle they are happy to leave a few inches of space; evidently if it doesn't pose any danger to their car then it's grand.

Sure there no risk he is a Guard if he runs over the lad on the bike it will be the fault of the lad on the bike.
    And in this event there would be no pesky Youtube video online to say any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Didn't the RSA run a campaign called 'Staying Alive at 1.5', i.e cars should leave 1.5m to overtake cyclists? I don't think he had that amount of space to overtake. In any case I think the tailgating up the cyclists hole was dangerous driving and if this Garda is a professional driver for a judge or Minister he should really know better. I presume these Garda drivers are given some sort of advanced safe driving course in order to drive Ministers around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just on the space issue, I don't cycle in Dublin so haven't a clue from experience of bus lanes, but is there enough room for a safe pass?

If you look at 19" on video, Audi is just straddling the continuous white line. That model is about 1.8m wide, and at a guess there is about 2m of space available to cyclist maybe a little more.

Are most cyclist here ok with that or not, given it'll be low speed overtake? ( I've had a few of those lately on open roads, pretty close but with driver travelling slowly and they feel ok, although your putting a lot of trust in driver's skillset...)

On a side note I love the entitlement of the badge flash, bet he never used that for nightclub access, petrol stations etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Actually, they're not as bad as they look on the north side

Trying to get in lane to turn right over the bridge into Stoneybatter at Ushers Island can be an adventure.

I never liked the quays anyway so prefer to take the longer route along the canal if I was coming from the Pearse Street area of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You'd really want to be giving around a metre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Slattsy wrote: »
    Could he have blocked any more of the road? I've cycled that stretch of road many times and plenty of room to let cars by.

And as poster says above, he deliberately pulls out in front of car..
    Serious attitude problem. Its almost like he was looking for trouble, he couldnt wait to get the camera on him and then "everything is recorded, watch what you say" :rolleyes:

Great for you, you chose to cycle dangerously, so be it. If others chose to take up a good road position, that's their decision.
    Calm down...

There is plenty of room on that road and the guy on the cargo bike should maybe consider learning how to ride it safely as pulling out to punish anyone as he did was silly.

That camera doesn't show the true width of road at that point.

He should keep as far left as is safe to do so but he decides oh I will go and ride out nearly touching the bus lane white line.

Where you watching the same video? The car was very very close to him before he decided to move out and into a better road position.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    So what? If some motorist wants to drive in the bus lane, let him..safer to let him pass (which this cyclist could have done easily)

So motorists get a free pass and can do what they like, but if you are on a bike, you have zero rights. Is that what you are saying? because that's what I am reading.
    In my opinion, from looking at the video posted...there was PLENTY of room to allow the car to pass. That cyclist deliberately blocked the car so that he'd have a video worth posting on Youtube.

Your opinion is wrong. there wasn't plenty of room for the pass. If you actually look at the video, you see that there is very little room for a safe pass. The car driver is a bully, it's incredibly clear.
    That's the way I see it too..and In my opinion, that's the cyclist been a prick!Was the Garda being a prick too? yes, but he didn't post the video!

So you have an issue with the video is it? What's the problem exactly? Why do people have an issue with go pros? As stated earlier on, it's perfectly fine to have a dash cam, but if you have a go pro on your bike for the same reasons, then you're a prick... somehow...

Cyclist cycled defensively. It really is a basic best practice. It's evident to see the absolute hatred towards cyclists and how ignorant some people are about rules of the road and the safety of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

seamus wrote: »
    My contention is that point had already passed when he decided to push right. From the video it looks like the front of the car is already beside his back wheel when he moves right.
    If the driver had been checking his mirror or otherwise not looking straight ahead, then the cyclist could have been under that wheel instead.

It's one thing taking more room to keep someone behind you. Taking more room and hoping the other vehicle will brake and pull back is extremely risky when you don't have a cage to protect you.

In any case, the driver would be completely in the wrong. But that's scant consolation to your family. Defensive and assertive road use is not just about defending your space on the road, but also knowing when to yield it to protect yourself from other peoples' stupidity.

Self preservation is at the top of my list when I'm on the bike, above being right! Even in the car dealing with other cars I often have to give up right of way to avoid an accident. They WILL crash into you..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

how people think in this incident that the driver is in the right and that he can safely pass the cyclist in the bus lane baffles me.

the RSA have run TV and print ads stating that 1.5m should be allowed as the minumum passing distance when overtaking a cyclist. this is law in several countries and there is a push to introduce it here also.

the cargo bike is going to be a minimum of 80cm wide and allowing for him cycling a little bit out from the kerb (if the drivers would be so kind) would make bike + distance from kerb almost another 1.5m in total. so that means that the left side of the car would need to be 3m out from the kerb in order to pass this cyclist safely. many bus lanes are only 3m wide, i don't think this one is the 5.5-6m it would need to be to permit a safe overtaking manoeuvre.

if the garda was on official business and had his lights & siren on then the cyclist should of course pull in and let him by, otherwise there is no reason for the cyclist to hug the kerb to let him pass and he is fully correct to ensure his safety by pulling to the middle of the lane to remove the possibility of a dangerous pass by the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

According to Sticky Bottle, Gardai are exempt from "all rules of the road."

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-cyclist-tussles-with-dublin-driver-who-turns-out-to-be-garda/

So there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Eamonnator wrote: »

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-cyclist-tussles-with-dublin-driver-who-turns-out-to-be-garda/

So there!

So the garda was on duty?

So there!

"while on duty"

apologies Eamonnator, the sarcasm should have jumped out tbf!
    it really is a terrible article from a dedicated cycling website.

Stickybottle seems focused on the issue if the garda should or should not be in the lane or not, not mention of how the garda acted. Pretty toothless article, implying that the cyclist somehow should have been embarrassed that the car was being driven by a garda.

They also have the comments closed for the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

So there!

Sorry folks. My post was intended as a comment on Sticky Bottle's level of journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

I cycle and drive/motorbike and I really dont like the cyclists behavior here at all.

If a road is genuinely too narrow to allow a safe overtake then he should take the lane from the beginning and make it clear to other roads users. That's being assertive.

The worst thing to do is sit to the left tempting people to overtake then shoot out in front of them when they do.

Psychosis wrote: »
    The worst thing to do is sit to the left tempting people to overtake then shoot out in front of them when they do.

Any car overtaking him could have done so when there was a gap in the traffic in the lane to their right and partially used that, or could have done so when the lanes opened up a bit at each junciton. Otherwise had he been cycling right in the middle it would have been a little trickier.

I cycle and drive/motorbike and I really dont like the cyclists behavior here at all.

If a road is genuinely too narrow to allow a safe overtake then he should take the lane from the beginning and make it clear to other roads users. That's being assertive.

i often correct my position in the bus lane, sometimes i'll just have drifted too far in towards the kerb and need to adjust. sometimes, particularly when pulling off from lights where i have held on to a pole rather than unclip, i gradually move out rather than make a sudden change of path.

generally most drivers will overtake properly and don't need you to dominate the lane but some need a clearer message.

the cyclist himself appears to be a bit of a c0ck but the biggest offender by far in this video is the driver. blaming him for 'tempting' the driver to overtake is like blaming a girl for wearing a low cut top.

the cyclist himself appears to be a bit of a c0ck but the biggest offender by far in this video is the driver. blaming him for 'tempting' the driver to overtake is like blaming a girl for wearing a low cut top.

No I think that's a strawman argument. The number 1 priority when cycling should be your own safety and you need to take assertive actions to ensure that.

You do not trust other drivers to behave correctly at all times, if you leave a gap wide enough for car to barely fit you can be sure there is someone that will chance it.

Im not going to bet my life on 'Ah sure he wont try to overtake here. . . .'

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Any car overtaking him could have done so when there was a gap in the traffic in the lane to their right and partially used that, or could have done so when the lanes opened up a bit at each junciton. Otherwise had he been cycling right in the middle it would have been a little trickier.

If there was no traffic in the lane to the right the car would have just driven in that lane im sure ;)

That's why I said gaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

That's the way I see it too..and In my opinion, that's the cyclist been a prick!Was the Garda being a prick too? yes, but he didn't post the video!

have too agree with ya . Two wrongs will never make a right , while the driver might have been a little hasty in his overtaking it would not have have been a problem if the idiot on the bike was keeping to his left . There are no parked cars where he could get clattered with a door and no pedestrians who could step out. If he had kept to the left instead of pulling out when the car was almost level with his drive wheel there would not have been a problem.. another cycling warrior with a camera

No I think that's a strawman argument. The number 1 priority when cycling should be your own safety and you need to take assertive actions to ensure that.

You do not trust other drivers to behave correctly at all times, if you leave a gap wide enough for car to barely fit you can be sure there is someone that will chance it.

Im not going to bet my life on 'Ah sure he wont try to overtake here. . . .'

my point was about right and wrong, the driver was in the wrong. saying you can't trust people to behave as you would like is correct however it doesn't change the fact that he was in the wrong.

have too agree with ya . Two wrongs will never make a right , while the driver might have been a little hasty in his overtaking it would not have have been a problem if the idiot on the bike was keeping to his left . There are no parked cars where he could get clattered with a door and no pedestrians who could step out. If he had kept to the left instead of pulling out when the car was almost level with his drive wheel there would not have been a problem.. another cycling warrior with a camera

could the car have allowed him 1.5m of space while travelling in the bus lane? if not it was not safe for him to pass even if the cyclist was staying left.
    the RSA have run TV and print ads stating that 1.5m should be allowed as the minumum passing distance when overtaking a cyclist. this is law in several countries and there is a push to introduce it here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

aloyisious wrote: »
    The car-driver has an obligation to use due care and attention when driving.

The advice for cyclists is to occupy the proper amount of road space needed to ensure their safety from motor vehicles alongside or trying to overtake them on the road.

Surely this is all that matters... in this instance, if the cyclist needs to ride in the middle of the road to ensure his safety then other road users must accept that and wait until they can overtake safely as per the rules of the road. As far as I can see the cyclist is not breaking any rules of the road whereas the car driver appears to be breaking quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Epicbutterfly

He deliberately cycled out well before the confrontation takes place! It's not up to the cyclist to martial the bus lanes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭Benevolent Misanthrope

Death.
    Wonderful - suits me!

Whatever your feeling about other men, women and children who use the road, joking about their deaths is in pretty bad taste in my opinion.

It's not up to the cyclist to martial the bus lanes.

Have you read any of the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Epicbutterfly

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Have you read any of the thread?

Sorry? It's not up to you to martial the thread either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭Benevolent Misanthrope

True. You can post any random crap you like, as you already have.

• Advertisement

I was simply asking because if you did read it you will see he was not policing the use of the bus lane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement