Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda & Cyclist close call

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Biggest mistake - Accusing the cyclist of "blocking the bus lane" and then flashing his Garda ID. Stupid stupid stupid, makes him look like a bully and he knew it because as soon as he was told he was being recorded he sped off very quickly loosing all interest in his "who exactly are you" inquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Biggest mistake - Accusing the cyclist of "blocking the bus lane" and then flashing his Garda ID. Stupid stupid stupid, makes him look like a bully and he knew it because as soon as he was told he was being recorded he sped off very quickly loosing all interest in his "who exactly are you" inquiry.
    Stupid stupid stupid,

It's very far from stupid - the garda was warning him he was a garda in case he might issue any threats

it because as soon as he was told he was being recorded he sped off very quickly loosing all interest in his "who exactly are you" inquiry.

maybe the garda had more important things to be doing instead of listening to pegboy with his go-pro

( presume he's delivering http://bigcandybox.com/rjs-licorice-raspberry-soft-eating-7-05-ounce-peg-bag-10-count or similar )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

gctest50 wrote: »
    It's very far from stupid - the garda was warning him he was a garda in case he might issue any threats

maybe the garda had more important things to be doing instead of listening to pegboy with his go-pro

( presume he's delivering http://bigcandybox.com/rjs-licorice-raspberry-soft-eating-7-05-ounce-peg-bag-10-count or similar )

.......and you know this how?

Biggest mistake - Accusing the cyclist of "blocking the bus lane" and then flashing his Garda ID.

The garda asks him who he is, then shows his badge

about 39 seconds in :

Which he didn't a soon as the recording was mentioned, why? Because it would have been stupid.

He is quiet clearly asking "exactly" who the cyclist was until the recording was mentioned, then he legged it, didn't year any radio go off, didn't hear him get a call.

He was wrong, he knew it and it's obvious by his actions. Wisest thing he did was leg it before me made it even worse.

• Advertisement

The garda asks him who he is, then shows his badge

about 39 seconds in :

I know, I mentioned that, did you read my post? Then, when he realised he was being recorded did he follow it up? No, he legged it. That's my point.

The camera wearing cyclist had to get video. The cop was an idiot for providing subject matter. I trust if there are issues down the road, the cyclists other videos will be examined.............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭Benevolent Misanthrope

So the Garda went from driving at the guy in a threatening manner to suddenly waving his Garda ID at him in an act of Christian kindness?

Ok, maybe that makes sense to you.

More hashtags than sense, as my dear departed mama might have said. Never :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,896 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the fact that the Garda twitter account posted this last week.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/727827314340470784

Who wrote that? A 10 year old ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The camera wearing cyclist had to get video. The cop was an idiot for providing subject matter. I trust if there are issues down the road, the cyclists other videos will be examined.............
    you mean legal issues? the only video relevant here is the one showing the incident; it doesn't matter if there are other videos showing the cyclist is a hero rescue helicopter pilot or a mass murderer.

or he has the hump about being stopped by garda traffic :

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I do agree here, but some cyclists (and I am a cyclist) want one set of rules when a car is passing them out but feel a completely different set apply when they are passing cars....
    Do you need somebody to explain the difference between the risks involved in those two different maneuvers to you?

seamus wrote: »
    That is, he should have moved left to give himself more space and then made the universal "WTF are you doing you complete moron" arm gestures to the vehicle after it passed.
    The problem is that once you get into gestures or swearing, it is very difficult to take any follow up action with the Gardai, as you leave yourself open to being charged with intimidating behaviour.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    No, he can't get into trouble. It was public space and at no point was he asked to stop recording.

It doesn't matter if he asked to stop recording or not - it is in a public space.
    Sure there no risk he is a Guard if he runs over the lad on the bike it will be the fault of the lad on the bike.
    And in this event there would be no pesky Youtube video online to say any different.

Why would you think that cameras wouldn't survive a crash? Or are you suggesting that the Garda will run over the guy, then get out and come back to the scene and find the 1 or 2 or 3 cameras, and hope that none of them are broadcasting live to a server somewhere, and hope that there is no driver with a dashcam, or other cyclist with a camera, or CCTV around?
    Chronicler wrote: »
    I'd always leave more than 0.5m gap.
    You'd really want to be giving around a metre.

Not enough - 1.5m.

Psychosis wrote: »
    I cycle and drive/motorbike and I really dont like the cyclists behavior here at all.

If a road is genuinely too narrow to allow a safe overtake then he should take the lane from the beginning and make it clear to other roads users. That's being assertive.

The worst thing to do is sit to the left tempting people to overtake then shoot out in front of them when they do.

He's about 1m out from the kerb - how is that 'tempting' anything? He's just cycling - it is up to the person overtaking to make sure they leave safe space.
    I don't think I need to read what I saw in the video! Waving your hands and pulling out toward to right hand of the lane is dangerous and also giving a lot of safe cyclist a bad name. Mine included.
    I don't get this 'giving a bad name' collective responsibility thing. Does the Audi driver give all Audi drivers a bad name? or all Gardai? Or just all drivers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't get this 'giving a bad name' collective responsibility thing. Does the Audi driver give all Audi drivers a bad name? or all Gardai? Or just all drivers?
    giving mammals a bad name. i'll never trust capybaras as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Jawgap wrote: »
    Driver behaviour, in my view. A cyclist acting the maggot on the road is only ever going to hurt himself, a driver acting the maggot is likely only to hurt someone else and walk away largely unscathed.

Why do you think the Quays are so dangerous cyclists should be excluded from them?

I've driven along the Quays a few times and I appreciate how hard it is

to see them no matter how often or hard you look.

I also feel that of all road users they take the greater chances leaving it

to drivers of other vehicles to make allowances for their safety.

I also feel that they could be a little more considerate to other road users.

P.S. Since when have the footpaths of O'Connell Street become cycle lanes?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    It's not right that they can do that! It's not right that they think rules of the road don't apply to them. As far as I am aware, while they can pass a red light when lit and break speed limits (responding to a call siren and lights on) the requirement for them to drive safely and with due care and attention is not waived. Clearly this Garda is not driving with lights on/siren sounding and by attempting to overtake a cyclist without passing within a reasonable distance is both dangerous driving and driving without due care and attention. Thus, whether working or not, a potential offence under the RTA and possibly the Garda Diciplinary code has occurred.

As for flashing the badge...if the cyclist was wrong, the guard would be within his rights to detain the cyclist and request his name etc. That he did not do that would tend to give weight to them also using the ID for a purpose it is not intended — to intimidate, bully etc. This would also be a Diciplinary matter.

Indeed. It is interesting to note that the reg number of the Audi isn't coming up on motorcheck.ie or other sites. An unmarked Garda jeep passed me today, so I made a note of the reg and checked it tonight, and it does come up on motorcheck.ie. So what kind of car registration would not show up?
    No, that was one private individual in Wexford working selflessly. Those shaggers deserve no credit for that one.
    True, though in fairness, those shaggers have spent a fair bit of cash on TV adverts about overtaking cyclists leaving a 1.5m passing distance over the past 3 years.
    However.. would it have happened if the cyclist had looked behind him and seen a garda car in full livery? No, he would have got out of the way ASAP, so why does he think he is entitled to police the bus lane, only letting people pass who he decides

If you watch the video up until the point of the aggressive acceleration, the cyclist looks like a complete tool, he notices the audi coming up behind him, and when he looks back ( at around 14 seconds), the audi is over as far as it can go in the lane, ready to overtake, he is lingering there likely until the bike moves over to give him room, the bike stays left, and as soon as the car starts to overtake he sweeps back in to "control the lane"

You take up a dominant lane position to influence the decisions of other drivers, not to BLOCK them in the middle of a manoeuvre, it doesn't matter if that they're doing is legal or if they should be there or if they're a guard or anything, it would be like pulling out into the overtaking lane on the motorway because you see someone approaching doing over the speed limit

Why would you assume that he would treat a marked Garda car differently? No driver or cyclist is required to do anything special for a Garda car, unless they are travelling with siren and lights.
    But let's be honest, this quandry about the timing of taking the lane is just nitpicking. The exaggerated 'sweeps back in' was the real give away. He wasn't in the gutter - he was about 1m out from the kerb at the start of the lane. It is up to anyone overtaking to make sure they had enough space.
    The car was being more courteous than most when overtaking a bike in a city, lets not be silly. He pulled out as far as he could, held back and then accelerated, before the bike pulled out to the middle of the lane to block him while braking.
    So when you say 'as far as he could', what you really mean is 'as far as he could within the current lane, without have to wait and find a safe place to overtake giving the recommended 1.5m passing space.
    in this case the recommended 1.5m of passing space probably could not have been left .I would be a big supporter of the 1.5m campaign and was probably one of the first in the country to wear one of the jerseys but sometimes a little bit of common sense is needed and there are times when it is not practical , like in a city
    Why is it 'not practical'? And if the driver couldn't give 1.5m, he could have just waiting until he had found somewhere with clear overtaking space.
    Good luck with that, as they say. The channel description explains that they have a number of different cyclists with cameras, so you're not going to be able to prove anything about the cyclist from other videos. And even if you did, how would it be relevant to this case?

I've driven along the Quays a few times and I appreciate how hard it is

to see them no matter how often or hard you look.

I also feel that of all road users they take the greater chances leaving it

to drivers of other vehicles to make allowances for their safety.

I also feel that they could be a little more considerate to other road users.

P.S. Since when have the footpaths of O'Connell Street become cycle lanes?

this doesn't rhyme.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Personally I think this is a private car - do the Garda have 8 year old cars?
    Although unclear from the vid - it looks like it has 2 discs insurance and tax - Garda cars dont
    it also has a eflow tag - dont think garda cars do

So apart from being a dick - IMO shoulnt have been in the bus lane

2e07c1d683b145139fb93750b7b463ef.png

IMO this made the cyclists day - made it worth wearing his cam
    Just as well no-one stepped or fell in front of him while he was looking behind at the car

But is this about the video or will he report it

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Not enough - 1.5m.

Shame it doesnt work both ways
    Some how it becomes a cars fault if they open a door a catch a bike?

A cyclist should also be leaving room when over taking

micks wrote: »
    IMO this made the cyclists day - made it worth wearing his cam
    Just as well no-one stepped or fell in front of him while he was looking behind at the car

Don't you look behind you whilst cycling?

• Advertisement

Shame it doesnt work both ways
    Some how it becomes a cars fault if they open a door a catch a bike?

A cyclist should also be leaving room when over taking

Yes, it should work both ways, and a cyclist should leave room when overtaking. But if a driver opens a door without looking, then yes, it is their fault.

But filtering is not the same as overtaking - different action all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

If the cyclist is reading this thread, yes, they should report it.

There are clear/potential issues of driving without due care and attention, aggressive behaviour, dangerous driving (these conditions are not waived for on duty / official driving even if pursuing a suspect etc), plus if not an official car, definite illegal use of the bus lane, possibly exceeding the speed limit, and use of the Garda badge for personal gain/self interest.

you mean legal issues? the only video relevant here is the one showing the incident; it doesn't matter if there are other videos showing the cyclist is a hero rescue helicopter pilot or a mass murderer.

Isn't this what they call "reducto ad absurdum"? Well done!

Although unclear from the vid - it looks like it has 2 discs insurance and tax - Garda cars dont
    it also has a eflow tag - dont think garda cars do

So apart from being a dick - IMO shoulnt have been in the bus lane

c/w magic flashing headlights ?

mFtTX2q.jpg

The driver says:

"Sorry, who exactly are you, this is a police car, you're blocking the bus lane, I'm just asking who you are"

As soon as the driver is told it's all being recorded he drives off.

Could be someone pretending to be a Garda. Now that would be of interest to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

A few posts back somebody said they checked the reg and nothing came up but marked Garda cars were coming up. These could be 'Ghost' plates that are issued for diplomatic/Govt cars —the actual reg plate hides behind the ghost plate. I know they use them in other countries but did not know they had them here. Makes sense for them to have them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The driver says:

"Sorry, who exactly are you, this is a police car, you're blocking the bus lane, I'm just asking who you are"

As soon as the driver is told it's all being recorded he drives off.

Could be someone pretending to be a Garda. Now that would be of interest to the Gardai.

Go home you're drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

A few posts back somebody said they checked the reg and nothing came up but marked Garda cars were coming up. These could be 'Ghost' plates that are issued for diplomatic/Govt cars —the actual reg plate hides behind the ghost plate. I know they use them in other countries but did not know they had them here. Makes sense for them to have them though.

Have we a clear shot of the plates? According to wiki

Diplomatic plates are very similar to civilian format, except the small "CD" between index mark code and serial number.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Special_formats

Slattsy wrote: »
    Go home you're drunk.

:D Touche! I'm home and sober, did you listen to the audio? That's what the driver said and we've all these experts telling us it's not a Garda car.

Edit - if it's some dude pretending to be a Garda bullying his way up the bus lane and admonishing cyclists for "blocking" his way in his (quote) "police" car, behaving aggressively and tailgating people, the Gardai would be very interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I never heard of such things but the diplomatic cars that I see have real plates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement