Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad encounters with a certain ethnic minority.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Did you ever wonder if maybe the Travellers are as frightened of you as you are of them? Remember they way everyone was afraid of sharks after that film about the shark that killed loads of people at a US beach resort... I think it was called 'The Shark who Killed for Fun' or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Superhero1993

magma69 wrote:
    Looking at many of the replies it's just a Traveller bashing free for all though. Hardly good honest debate going on here, just people essentially declaring how much they dislike Travellers.

The majority of travellers in my local area are pure scum. Assaulting, robbing and vandalising. There is a genuine reason why they get a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Yes, it's an ancient tradition of the Travellers.

Well, this thread started in idiotic places and continues apace!

Edit for the people that misunderstand "being a decent person" for "being PC": Don't be daft, of course it's not acceptable to fling stones at people and the "adult" of the group should have been reported instead of you wandering off and whinging on boards. Why not ...y'know, call the Gardai. You don't have to say "There's a group of mean travellers being mean to me!", you could just say "There's an adult and two kids harassing people in X place, throwing stones". Problem sorted and someone else might not get stones chucked at them. Where the so-called PC part of the conversation comes in is when people are saying "all travellers are scum".

Weird that this concept needs explaining to probably-adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

tomofson wrote: »
    Maybe if people where allowed to say what way they really feel it might force them to change their behavior. Instead of being forced into submission by the PC brigade people should speak their minds of how they really feel about these things. It is bad for the rest of society and it is especially bad for the travellers if people dont speak about it. How are they meant to know their actions are wrong if they are not criticized?

You think a bunch of people ranting about how they hate Travellers on afterhours is going change the behaviour of some bad Travellers? :confused:

There's a definite discussion to be had about the issues with that particular community, this isn't it. This is a Traveller bashing thread for people to vent their disdain of Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Did you ever wonder if maybe the Travellers are as frightened of you as you are of them? Remember they way everyone was afraid of sharks after that film about the shark that killed loads of people at a US beach resort... I think it was called 'The Shark who Killed for Fun' or something like that.

Drunk post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

melissak wrote: »
    I know. Never trust the Mormons I always say.(not really I have never met a Mormon)
    Op throwing stones at people is not their culture. I know lots of travellers who are sound. Maybe you only notice them when they live down to your expectations and you don’t notice them when they don't conform to your prejudices.

Em no I just recognize they are much more likely to cause problems from my own experience, think about it like this for a second. They make up less than one percent of the population yet nine out of ten people has had a bad encounter with them? Do you think those percentages are normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

Should have reported it to the front desk,im sure they have a procedure for anti-social expressions of culture.

If i never have to deal with the ****ers again it'll be too soon.

Would love to hear Michael O'leary's views on them.

magma69 wrote: »
    You think a bunch of people ranting about how they hate Travellers on afterhours is going change the behaviour of some bad Travellers? :confused:

There's a definite discussion to be had about the issues with that particular community, this isn't it. This is a Traveller bashing thread for people to vent their disdain of Travellers.

Maybe if people didn't have so many bad encounters with travellers then their wouldnt be a need for such threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

degsie wrote: »
    Drunk post?

Nope. Sober as a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

dont think its only travellers per say, more like every scum,that current system gives them free pass to act like degenerates,and god forbid you manage to catch such scum to give them a lesson,while its ok if some person gets their head smashed in,its only another 60th suspended conviction and slap on a wrist.

Its not like youd see normal father telling his kid to throw stones at people.
    and minority word doesn't go well when your faced with 3-5 people gangs targeting single people like that.

Anyway op did safe thing and just moved on,while someone else could of scattered couple heads in return and land themselves with record and some jail time just because you know poor minority breeding new degeneration for better society.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    Anyway op did safe thing and just moved on,while someone else could of scattered couple heads in return and land themselves with record and some jail time just because you know poor minority breeding new degeneration.

And complained on boards where he'd get a sympathetic hearing and much whining about awful travellers instead of to the Gardai who could actually do something about these specific people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

.. and you're pc gone too far :pac:

Ah yes, I'm a SJW because I won't chime in on calling Travellers scum.

Samaris wrote: »
    And complained on boards where he'd get a sympathetic hearing and much whining about awful travellers instead of to the Gardai who could actually do something about these specific people.

What can the gardai do bar give them a talking to? The stone throwers where all under the age of prosecution and the adult wasn't actually throwing any stones himself. Even though he was encouraging them and having a good laugh about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Looking at many of the replies it's just a Traveller bashing free for all though. Hardly good honest debate going on here, just people essentially declaring how much they dislike Travellers.

Have I been missing something all my life, I acknowledge decent people when I meet them, I abide by society rules, I play the game..

But why the hell should I be told to respect other peoples wishes when they have absolutely no regard for my way of life. I am working my ass off for a living and I pay my taxes, which is hard enough to swallow considering the recent turn of events since 2007/8 and easily our country folded with Europes demands.

But why the hell in gods name am I paying extra taxes to accommodate these people who don't contribute anything back to society. I would be very interested to hear your views on that?

But why the hell do I have to put up with Pavee Point and the likes telling me to change my mind on this situation when the
    y can't / don't want to help themselves??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah yes, I'm a SJW because I won't chime in on calling Travellers scum.

Finally. Admitted :pac:

What can the gardai do bar give them a talking to? The stone throwers where all under the age of prosecution and the adult wasn't actually throwing any stones himself. Even though he was encouraging them and having a good laugh about it.

If the adult was encouraging them, I think he'd be liable on their behalf for being a complete tool. If nothing else, a Garda there would put a stop to any further messing about.

But hey, whining on boards about mean Travellers has made all the difference, hasn't it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Maybe if people where allowed to say what way they really feel it might force them to change their behavior. Instead of being forced into submission by the PC brigade people should speak their minds of how they really feel about these things. It is bad for the rest of society and it is especially bad for the travellers if people dont speak about it. How are they meant to know their actions are wrong if they are not criticized?

Didn't you have an opportunity to criticise them at the time? You tell them " throwing stones at people is wrong" and they go " oh shìt we didn't know that".
    If they gave a fùck about you or your opinion they wouldn't be throwing stones at you.
    Fair enough you had a bad experience but don't pretend traveller bashing threads are productive.

If the adult was encouraging them, I think he'd be liable on their behalf for being a complete tool. If nothing else, a Garda there would put a stop to any further messing about.

But hey, whining on boards about mean Travellers has made all the difference, hasn't it? :D

Yeah because the objective of making this thread was to cure cancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Em no I just recognize they are much more likely to cause problems from my own experience, think about it like this for a second. They make up less than one percent of the population yet nine out of ten people has had a bad encounter with them? Do you think those percentages are normal?

Nine out of ten people? I think these "percentages" are just made up by you just now. Unless you have conducted a poll... A few bad apples do not imo taint a whole ethnic group as I judge people based on their own behaviour which is all they can control. An English person wronged me once ergo everyone from England is a fcuker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

In my day we could all scrap even the 5'8" 10 stone lads gave a good account of themselves, nowadays people seem to be a little softer.
    I don't have a point but I do believe that it's easier for certain groups to "bully" the common man once he can't defend himself .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭GIMP

Gerry Adams might refer to them as Traveller N****rs?

Nine out of ten people? I think these "percentages" are just made up by you just now. Unless you have conducted a poll... A few bad apples do not imo taint a whole ethnic group as I judge people based on their own behaviour which is all they can control. An English person wronged me once ergo everyone from England is a fcuker?

Those are my personal experiences from talking to people about that particular group.

Yeah because the objective of making this thread was to cure cancer

Your witty repartee is astounding.

Meh, if you're going to create a daft thread with the purpose of bashing an entire sector of the population based on a bad encounter that you had (that you reacted to in a rather pathetic manner), you're going to get some slagging along with the yeah-me-too! crowd.

Your witty repartee is astounding.

Meh, if you're going to create a daft thread with the purpose of bashing an entire sector of the population based on a bad encounter that you had (that you reacted to in a rather pathetic manner), you're going to get some slagging along with the yeah-me-too! crowd.

Because of a bad encounter? You clearly missed the part where I stated this is only my latest bad encounter, not only is it my latest bad encounter but its one of the more minor encounters I have had with that particular community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Those are my personal experiences from talking to people about that particular group.

Maybe. But we tend to associate with people who share similar views etc and there might be a bit of a confirmation bias going on. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

Very little discussion needed imo just stop being such anti social dicks and take some responsibillity. Maybe then traveller bashing wouldnt be so popular.

Maybe. But we tend to associate with people who share similar views etc and there might be a bit of a confirmation bias going on. Just a thought.

Em no the conversation just comes up and people speak their minds, Its not as if im a member of the hitler youth here like.

Because of a bad encounter? You clearly missed the part where I stated this is only my latest bad encounter, not only is it my latest bad encounter but its one of the more minor encounters I have had with that particular community.

Did you actually try DOING anything about any of them? Like reporting them?

(I can predict how the rest of this conversation will go. "Yes, I reported them and the gardai came out and said "No can do, guv, they're a protected species")

Did you actually try DOING anything about any of them? Like reporting them?

(I can predict how the rest of this conversation will go. "Yes, I reported them and the gardai came out and said "No can do, guv, they're a protected species")

How are you able to predict so well about so a beautiful friendly community?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭tastyt

The majority of people who have had dealings with travellers do not like them because they couldn't care less about settled people or civilised community. They are thieves, bullies, and think they have some God given right to get away with whatever they want because of their culture or whatever.

Apologists should ask themselves a question, why do people hate travellers?? Nobody woke up one morning and said to themselves " you know what, I think il start hating travellers from now on for the craic " . They are disliked because a huge amount of them are scumbags.

Now we can all " debate " that all night long and lie about how many lovely ones there are but nobody believes it, people can make up there own minds and they don't need to be told how they should feel about travellers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement