Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad encounters with a certain ethnic minority.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

melissak wrote: »
    I live in a small rural area that has two settled traveller families living here for 30+ years. Zero trouble from them. Ever.

I am sure you would be happy to have a halting site built next to your home then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

They bring a lot of it on themselves....if they wanted to be treated as equals they need to act accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

I live in a small rural area that has two settled traveller families living here for 30+ years. Zero trouble from them. Ever.

They must know not to play up in that particular town cause they know people will figure out who it was who done what very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

I am sure you would be happy to have a halting site built next to your home then?

No. But I wouldn't like any large group of people I didn't know moving in next to my home. It's very rural.

No. But I wouldn't like any large group of people I didn't know moving in next to my home.

So no then.

I live next to number of Chinese families it is such a nightmare between them all having their homes very well kept and being so quite and hard working.
    Their Children say hello to me all the time and are very polite and at Christmas they are always either dropping in a cake or a tin of biscuits such a pain.

Your right any large group of people.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

I was once attacked by a group of them,

I whacked one of their heads off a pillar, took a pen out of my pocket and stabbed him through his jaw, several times, eventually about the 6th or 7th time i hit his cheekbone and the pen fell...they scattered

I did not get attacked again....

tomofson wrote: »
    They must know not to play up in that particular town cause they know people will figure out who it was who done what very quickly.

I think that is the case with everyone around here tbh. Everyone knows everyone's business cos not alot happens. I have lived in towns though and have met travellers who are grand. Again you mightn't notice they were travellers because they don't draw attention to themselves

So no then.

That is why my post started with no. I have nothing against refugees but I wouldn't like a refugee camp either. Or a collection of people from leitrim..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Some of the things travellers do are mental.

Am sure this isn't news to some, but on the flip-side it has to be news to others... But basically there is a game certain travellers like to play.
    Many a man has made the mistake of getting to close to certain travellers. We're talking about having dealings with them then having a pint or too in the local pub or whatever. Next is followed with being offered to go back to their house/estate/encampment for a few more drinks. All seemingly friendly.

After that follows drinks and laughs until "someone" gets the hump for no reason and either says "are you starting on me?!" / "are you trying to ride my sister?" / etc.
    What follows is such a beating (of course, most of them on you) and you're thrown out.

Sadly happened to many a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

That is why my post started with no. I have nothing against refugees but I wouldn't like a refugee camp either. Or a collection of people from leitrim..

Leitrim has such a poor rep.
    And.deservedly so.

• Advertisement

Am sure this isn't news to some, but on the flip-side it has to be news to others... But basically there is a game certain travellers like to play.
    Many a man has made the mistake of getting to close to certain travellers. We're talking about having dealings with them then having a pint or too in the local pub or whatever. Next is followed with being offered to go back to their house/estate/encampment for a few more drinks. All seemingly friendly.

After that follows drinks and laughs until "someone" gets the hump for no reason and either says "are you starting on me?!" / "are you trying to ride my sister?" / etc.
    What follows is such a beating (of course, most of them on you) and you're thrown out.

I have heard of this happening and make no mistake they lure people knowing exactly what is in store for them by the end of the night. You don't wanna know what I've heard of them doing to poor unfortunate females who go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

I despair.

I have heard of this happening and make no mistake they lure people knowing exactly what is in store for them by the end of the night. You don't wanna know what I've heard of them doing to poor unfortunate females who go back.

In most cases anybody dumb enough to go with them is just asking for it.

In most cases anybody dumb enough to go with them is just asking for it.

To be fair you are not too quick with the judgments when you have a few on you.

To be fair you are not too quick with the judgments when you have a few on you.

Just though that after I typed it.

A couple of years ago some guy walked out of a wedding reception with a few drinks on him and tried to cross the Naas Road.
    Trying to cross that road is instant suicide it is the last thing that poor chap ever done.
    It was only early in the evening too.

Just though that after I typed it.

A couple of years ago some guy walked out of a wedding reception with a few drinks on him and tried to cross the Naas Road.
    Trying to cross that road is instant suicide it is the last thing that poor chap ever done.
    It was only early in the evening too.

Unfortunate guy.

Curiosity kills me

What has stone throwing to do with culture?

pone2012 wrote: »
    Curiosity kills me

What has stone throwing to do with culture?

Its more of a joke people throw around, whenever the traveller community does something bad some apologists say its all just part of their culture. So now people parody it.

Its more of a joke people throw around, whenever the traveller community does something bad some apologists say its all just part of their culture. So now people parody it.

So, they didn't actually throw a stone at you??

This kind of thing happens with non traveller drunken rowdy gob****es too. Some people like fighting when they are drunk. I don't understand it myself.

• Advertisement

This kind of thing happens with non traveller drunken rowdy gob****es too. Some people like fighting when they are drunk. I don't understand it myself.

You know full well there is a big different between a few drunken morons sloppily throwing punches at each other in an extremely intoxicated state, and a community of people who deliberately lure people to certain places for vicious premeditated beatings and pro longed sexual assaults. Don't even try to excuse that behavior based on the actions of a few dumb drunks.

We are currently trying to understand the drunken rowdy gob****e phenomenon over in "The new Ireland" thread.. So far all I've gathered from it...is that it's ok to be that way... apparently :/

pone2012 wrote: »
    So, they didn't actually throw a stone at you??

I wouldn't of said they did if they didn't

You know full well there is a big different between a few drunken morons sloppily throwing punches at each other in an extremely intoxicated state, and a community of people who deliberately lure people to certain places for vicious premeditated beatings and pro longed sexual assaults. Don't even try to excuse that behavior based on the actions of a few dumb drunks.
    I never heard of such things. I thought you meant a bunch of people go to a party and one gets thick cos of some perceived slight and a click of people gang up on the outsider. What you describe is pure scumbag animal carryon and is obviously uncondonable. Such people should be shot. Whatever ethnicity they are they are subhuman.

I wouldn't of said they did if they didn't

That sucks,

Id probably have said it to the big one, cop on like

I never heard of such things. I thought you meant a bunch of people go to a party and one gets thick cos of some perceived slight and a click of people gang up on the outsider. What you describe is pure scumbag animal carryon and is obviously uncondonable. Such people should be shot. Whatever ethnicity they are they are subhuman.

Well it is the norm among a certain ethnicity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Honest question,
    Why are you defending a vast majority of a group who would shaft you without thinking twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Would love a poll to see the percent of people who've had mostly bad dealings with them. I can't fcuking stand them. 90% of them are low life scum. All their own doing as well.

Honest question,
    Why are you defending a vast majority of a group who would shaft you without thinking twice?

I think that person is just trying to see a bit of good in everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was in a pharmacy yesterday and a women walked in and knocked over a few things on a shelf and didn't bat an eye lid to pick them back up. She strolled up to the pharmacist whilst she was talking to a customer and interrupted her to ask "Dyia any hair highlights?". The pharmacist pointed over to them (which happened to be the shelf she knocked over), the pharmacist continued her conversation with the customer whilst the woman went get her hair highlights. The women returned and shoved the highlights into the pharmacists hand, "there". The pharmacist replied, "I will be with you in a second, I am talking to this person first". She started to go ape**** about being in a rush until another member of staff came along and dealt with it.

So many of them don't seem to be able to comprehend social norms or right from wrong. Queuing and litter are just some of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement