Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ni-Oh (PS4)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

derfderf wrote: »
    but felt my gear was lagging behind my progress.

Yeah, I usually tried to stay within 5-10 levels at max when I was maintaining a set and 1-3 otherwise.
    you'd advise dropping the set for higher level (similar) armour? I had a feeling I'd struggle keeping it at a high level without lucky drops from revenants.

Basically, although that was just what worked for me and I don't claim to have mastered the system. tbh I didn't really find the game hard enough to rely on set bonuses so much as when I had them they were a nice bonus (pardon the pun).
    I'm not actually having too much trouble with the game. The second boss (the flying Chun Li), and the sea monster, were the only bosses i gave a fist pump in celebration after beating. The rest all seemed like a matter of time, even if i died a few times.

I'd have said
    Nue and Umi Bozu
    were my toughest early bosses but that was mostly because I didn't cop their mechanics till late into the fight. The rest as you say fall into a fairly predictable pattern straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

The 60 requests at the blacksmith trophy is taking a while to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Evade wrote: »
    The 60 requests at the blacksmith trophy is taking a while to do.

yeah just costs a fortune, i kept buying book of reincarnations for alot of the points, spent millions :(

Yeah the blacksmith one is annoying, I was lucky in that I didn't even realise the "talking" glitch was a glitch, just figured it was what you got as a reward for talking to her so I got if pretty early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GrtPerhaps

Anyone else having some trouble levelling up for main missions sometimes? Im about level 65 or thereabouts, and I find after I play every main mission and side mission in an area and move to the next one it always seems to be a good 5-8 levels above me - and since I dont have any sidemissions/main missions to play (unless I want to play them again) I end up just playing Random Encounters and helping lower level people beat bosses. Its actually really fun sometimes, until you get that one fella that summons you at the start of the level and likes to explore every single crack and crevace of the map despite you knowing exactly where to go.
    On another note,
    does anyone else think Polygons review was kinda bull?

"Missions, sub missions and twilight missions all have a mission level. Presumably, this is the minimum recommended character level you should attain before attempting it. Meeting the minimum level is basically suicide. You’re going to want to be at least a few levels higher than the mission level. And we can say from experience that five to 10 levels higher makes a mission much more manageable, but still challenging."

Having fully completed 3 areas of the game and starting the 4th, I can honestly say that its not an absolutely ferocious challenge to complete the missions while meeting the minimum level requirements. I find that if im more than 5-10 levels above the mission its an absolute cakewalk and ill only really die on the boss. Combine that with using ochoko cups(I dont use them at all) and the missions end up being laughably easy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In the latter half of the game you will inevitably fall behind the recommended level - after being ahead of the recommendations for most of the game, I swiftly fell behind in regions five and six particularly. But thankfully it wasn't remotely an issue. It's poorly explained, but I reckon your equipment is more important in that sense - once your weapons and at least some of your armour are at the recommended level, you'll be grand. I'd say you'd probably get by even if you're a bit behind there: it's a heavily skill based game, so if you understand the combat systems, you'll be able to fight your way through (within reason, of course!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

GrtPerhaps wrote: »
    On another note,
    Also, does anyone else think Polygons review was kinda bull?

"Missions, sub missions and twilight missions all have a mission level. Presumably, this is the minimum recommended character level you should attain before attempting it. Meeting the minimum level is basically suicide. You’re going to want to be at least a few levels higher than the mission level. And we can say from experience that five to 10 levels higher makes a mission much more manageable, but still challenging."

Having fully completed 3 areas of the game and starting the 4th, I can honestly say that its not an absolutely ferocious challenge to complete the missions while meeting the minimum level requirements. I find that if im more than 5-10 levels above the mission its an absolute cakewalk and ill only really die on the boss. Combine that with using ochoko cups(I dont use them at all) and the missions end up being laughably easy.

I'm in the 5th area and probably 10 levels under recommended. I only seem to die when I do something stupid. I dont find the enemies too tough.

Saying that though, i checked my stats and I've sunk in 48 hours and I'm still not finished it! I am making sure to mop up any side missions before moving on though.

In did a 145 twilight at 120-ish. Definitely nonsense that you have to be at the minimum level to even attempt the mission. Does if make it easier? Sure, you'll have more health/ki/DPS but as someone said already Nioh's difficulty is primarily based around player skill.

Anyone else having some trouble levelling up for main missions sometimes? Im about level 65 or thereabouts, and I find after I play every main mission and side mission in an area and move to the next one it always seems to be a good 5-8 levels above me - and since I dont have any sidemissions/main missions to play (unless I want to play them again) I end up just playing Random Encounters and helping lower level people beat bosses. Its actually really fun sometimes, until you get that one fella that summons you at the start of the level and likes to explore every single crack and crevace of the map despite you knowing exactly where to go.

Unless you grind like crazy you'll always be behind. I finished the last story mission, a level 145 mission, at level 115 even though I'd done all the other missions bar about five twilight and dojo ones.
    On another note,
    Also, does anyone else think Polygons review was kinda bull?

Polygon being bad at videogames? Shocking.

I didnt even pay attention to the level recommendations tbh, survival is based on mostly your ability to dodge/block, having to hit an enemy a few more times is no big whoop..

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    yeah just costs a fortune, i kept buying book of reincarnations for alot of the points, spent millions :(

What's the best way to increase patronage levels? I never seem to get the prompt.

What's the best way to increase patronage levels? I never seem to get the prompt.

for the blacksmith or do you mean the 4 stats you can choose from in the start menu?

blacksmiths raises dependent on the gold you spend, so doing alot of high costing soul matches or buying loads of book of reincarnations is the way to go there, book of reincarnation is the best option as its more useful than upgrading gear you will replace at end game. You can also get a load of free points after completing the game by talking to the blacksmiths over and over.

The other stat increases i have no idea, i just used them when i seen them, i didnt think they warranted much attention as their benefits are minuscule.

nix wrote: »
    for the blacksmith or do you mean the 4 stats you can choose from in the start menu?

blacksmiths raises dependent on the gold you spend, so doing alot of high costing soul matches or buying loads of book of reincarnations is the way to go there, book of reincarnation is the best option as its more useful than upgrading gear you will replace at end game. You can also get a load of free points after completing the game by talking to the blacksmiths over and over.

The other stat increases i have no idea, i just used them when i seen them, i didnt think they warranted much attention as their benefits are minuscule.

Thanks. Ya I just want to get the trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi all.

Loving the game... just finished white tiger boss but a quick look at wiki and it seems I'm near the end. I feel like I've just begin... I'm at level 65. Am I neatly done?

Side missions seem to be smaller same level design of main missions so not that engaging...

I hopeI'm not close to end game... very short game in that event.

Am I close to end at that boss fight?

sticker wrote: »
    Hi all.

Loving the game... just finished white tiger boss but a quick look at wiki and it seems I'm near the end. I feel like I've just begin... I'm at level 65. Am I neatly done?

Side missions seem to be smaller same level design of main missions so not that engaging...

I hopeI'm not close to end game... very short game in that event.

I'm level 107 and on the final area
    (sixth area)

You haven't even done half of the main missions yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I'm just after starting this game. Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne were the first two RPGs that I beat. I followed build and item guides to help me along because it was all so alien to me.

This time around I'd really like to embrace the role-playing aspect and create a character very unique to me. However I'm slightly concerned that I might inadvertently back myself into a corner. Is there a way to re-distribute my levels if I'm unhappy with my build. I know there is in the Souls games although I've never actually used it?

Also, are there any general pointers I should be aware of in terms of character creation, spefically in relation to any misconceptions I may have coming off the back of Bloodborne?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd argue that the RPG elements in the game are far less important than they are in a Souls game. This is a pure action game with RPG elements attached, and IMO the capacity to customise your build is quite a bit more limited. That's not to say there isn't some wiggle room - say whether you focus on magic or ninja skills, and what two weapons you'll focus on - but all-in-all more variation comes down to equipment and weapons than it does to the actual stats page. You're better just focusing on a handful of stats - the game explicitly tells you which ones are important for which weapons - and paying more attention to learning and understanding the mechanics :)

There is, though, an item to redistribute your stats. You'll pick up a few during the course of normal play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Paleblood wrote: »
    I'm just after starting this game. Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne were the first two RPGs that I beat. I followed build and item guides to help me along because it was all so alien to me.

This time around I'd really like to embrace the role-playing aspect and create a character very unique to me. However I'm slightly concerned that I might inadvertently back myself into a corner. Is there a way to re-distribute my levels if I'm unhappy with my build. I know there is in the Souls games although I've never actually used it?

Also, are there any general pointers I should be aware of in terms of character creation, spefically in relation to any misconceptions I may have coming off the back of Bloodborne?

Thanks.

Yes you can buy a Book of Reincarnation to respec, it gets more expensive the more times you buy it and can also be gotten as a mission reward. I haven't found the need to use mine yet though. There's no such thing as character creation though, the freedom comes from how you spend your Amrita when levelling, the weapons you favour using and the spells/skills you learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Paleblood wrote:

Yes, its available quite cheap the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Thanks for the replies.

That's interesting about it being more of an action game rather than a true RPG.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of loot there is. I can see what you mean about the bulk of the variation coming from your loadout rather than the character stats. It's perhaps not what I wanted from the game but I'm sure I'll enjoy the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone notice after dying during a sub mission, when you restart the mob you were fighting is sometimes gone and it let's you continue to the next one or on occasion the complete mission marker?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Paleblood wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

That's interesting about it being more of an action game rather than a true RPG.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of loot there is. I can see what you mean about the bulk of the variation coming from your loadout rather than the character stats. It's perhaps not what I wanted from the game but I'm sure I'll enjoy the process.

Yeah there's tons of loot but you'll get used to dealing with it, just don't let it build up too much. I usually sort by level and see if there's anything better than what's currently equiped (weapons & armour), else I check if I can soul match, if I can't or it's too expensive then I just offer up for Amrita or disassemble for parts. Basically I lock what might be of interest using Square then R2 to select everything else and get rid.
    sweetie wrote: »
    Anyone notice after dying during a sub mission, when you restart the mob you were fighting is sometimes gone and it let's you continue to the next one or on occasion the complete mission marker?

Not had that happen to me that I remember.

Currently at lvl85, tackling The Defiled Castle in the 4th region I think it is.

Have 1 mission (and that god awful patronage grind) to complete before I get the plat on this.
    Anyone know of an easy cheesy way to beat Yuki-Onna and Oda Nobunaga? Spent the guts of an hour on them last night. Managed to defeat Nobunaga a few times but end up with so few elixers I cant survive the projectiles and aoe from Yuki Onna.
    Failing a cheese option, I might just complete more of NG+ and tank up my levels for heavier armour.

Anyone know of an easy cheesy way to beat Yuki-Onna and Oda Nobunaga? Spent the guts of an hour on them last night. Managed to defeat Nobunaga a few times but end up with so few elixers I cant survive the projectiles and aoe from Yuki Onna.

That fight was the closest I ever came to just stopping and uninstalling the game.

Only tips I can give you are to try to keep Nobunaga and the Missus as far apart as you can so you're only really concentrating on him as he's the bigger threat of the two. If she starts moving towards you, you move in the opposite direction and keep Nobunaga chasing. Once you've finished him off the key with her I found was to be very judicial with attacks, stay well back from her until you get an opening (so you avoid her running stab), give her a few slaps and then back off. I can't off the top of my head remember how many attacks I could give her before resetting the sequence but err on the side of caution. Breaking her ki as always remains a good idea.

Cheese tip would be to remember to save before the fight and then just scum if you lose too many elixers. You can either use PSN online saves or a good high speed USB stick (I recommend the latter).

Have 1 mission (and that god awful patronage grind) to complete before I get the plat on this.
    Failing a cheese option, I might just complete more of NG+ and tank up my levels for heavier armour.
    Shoot Nobunaga in the head, run up get a ground stab and repeat.

As for Yuki, do you have the magic ability to have your guardian spirit attack (not living weapon)? The bear you get from the Ebony Samurai has an attack that knocks enemies to the ground which lets you get in a ground stab. The distance and timing might take a few tries to get right but this combo traps pretty much all human sized enemies in a pattern that they can't escape until you run out of magic.

Evade wrote: »
    Shoot Nobunaga in the head, run up get a ground stab and repeat.

As for Yuki, do you have the magic ability to have your guardian spirit attack (not living weapon)? The bear you get from the Ebony Samurai has an attack that knocks enemies to the ground which lets you get in a ground stab. The distance and timing might take a few tries to get right but this combo traps pretty much all human sized enemies in a pattern that they can't escape until you run out of magic.

Ya, good idea. I tried that on Nobunaga with some success. I might hold it and use it when she's on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi All.

I'm on mission 103 Sekigahara with a first build of 93. I must be near end game... Why do I see some builds online at 500+?

some guys are outputting 7k damage per strike when I'm averaging 500 per strike with a purple staff with 565 attack...

what am I missing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Gave up at the 3rd boss fight, life is too short to be dealing with this .. like the game, but the randomness of the boss fights are ridiculous..

• Advertisement

Hi All.

I'm on mission 103 Sekigahara with a first build of 93. I must be near end game... Why do I see some builds online at 500+?

some guys are outputting 7k damage per strike when I'm averaging 500 per strike with a purple staff with 565 attack...

what am I missing?!

There are divine weapons (green) once you finish the main game. These can also be upgraded up to +5 for maximum output.

Advertisement