Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ni-Oh (PS4)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭GeorgeStobort

What are the best stats to level up early in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

What weapon/s are you going with?

Outside your main stats, depending on your weapon, i would advise getting spirit up so you can get all of the passives on the guardian spirit you decide to use, get it to around 11-12 for the earlier spririts and then up to 20-21.

Onymo is incredibly useful so id advise getting that up to 10 and then 15 for later. But no major rush on ony for the earlier zones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have downed
    Gasha-dokuro
    so onto the final stretch now. Difficulty feels like it's finally picked up a bit: still manageable so far, although nasty to discover a few
    Onryoki
    lurking around mid-level! I do like that most of the levels continue to have different ideas and settings, nice to have a few more open spaces after a few cramped castles and the like.

Definitely put a few levels into magic. You don't unlock sloth talismans for a little bit, but when you do they're lifesavers and gamechangers. A couple of elemental spells equipped will also make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Just got the platinum trophy, feels good.

Just got the platinum trophy, feels good.

Nice, working on it now, thinking the only pain in the arse one will be the taking all the hot spa's in the game :(

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    Nice, working on it now, thinking the only pain in the arse one will be the taking all the hot spa's in the game :(

Yeah, it and getting the
    Orochi scale to actually drop
    for the
    Materials
    trophy were my last two. Was at 92% trying to figure out
    which 2 springs I hadn't visited
    , ended up backtracking about 6 levels. As it turns out
    the one just before Oda
    is worth 8%. Silly stuff not just making each worth 5%.

Did the first few Way of Strong missions, tough but manageable so far. Not looking forward to
    Hino Emma again

What weapon/s are you going with?

Outside your main stats, depending on your weapon, i would advise getting spirit up so you can get all of the passives on the guardian spirit you decide to use, get it to around 11-12 for the earlier spririts and then up to 20-21.

Onymo is incredibly useful so id advise getting that up to 10 and then 15 for later. But no major rush on ony for the earlier zones.

I'm going with the katana and the axe. I've put everything into strength so far . That's what I did for bloodborne apart from a little in vitality and it was a breeze

I'm going with the katana and the axe. I've put everything into strength so far . That's what I did for bloodborne apart from a little in vitality and it was a breeze

Yeah it doesnt work quite the same as bloodborne, pretty much all stats raise HP and attack. so yeah if using axe mostly stack str and heart of using sword mostly. And put points into magic and spirit.

You also might need to raise the other stats to reach requirements for certain armours. You can also respecc so dont put too much thought into it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

You can also respecc so dont put too much thought into it :p
    Can you buy the respec item as often as you want?

Evade wrote: »
    Can you buy the respec item as often as you want?

Yeah the smith sells it, but it goes up in price each time. I've only bought it once as you get some from quest rewards in the later missions. it went from 10k for the first one to 30k for the next one, so id predict the next time it will be 60-90k. You can also get them in the teahouse for faction points or whatever they're called..

I'm sure there is probably easier ways to farm them also that i havent stumbled into yet.

Book of reincarnation the item is called by the way..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The third book is 100k I saw. Haven't used them myself yet though.

4th one is 300k, accidentally bought the 2nd and 3rd ones together due to fat finger syndrome. You can also get them from
    Danjo in the Tea House for glory
    which might be easier to farm.

One annoyance I've come across is not being able to backtrack once you beat the boss. I entered a boss room by accident while trying to circle around to the last kodama so I had to redo the whole mission just to get him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And I'm done.

Overall thoroughly enjoyed it. A couple of notches easier than Dark Souls and the like I reckon, if anybody is on the fence for that reason. Didn't summon any help, and there was no major difficulty spikes beyond the second main boss oddly enough - if you can get past her, you're flying.

A few things hold it back from being great (it's merely really good instead). It overstays its welcome somewhat given the variety of creatures on display - while the level design stays sharp 'til the end, it's frustrating having to fight the same monsters a couple of dozen times. As I've said before, the loot system creates more busywork than is strictly necessary. I think the
    hydra monster
    also let things down in the final stretch - an annoying gimmick fight that abandons the sort of focused, one-on-one (occasionally two or three) combat the game excels at in favour of
    almost 360 degree projectiles
    flying around the gaff. Rectified a bit by a better epilogue boss, thankfully.

I won't be talking about Ni-Oh with the same sort of affection I have reserved for the best From games. But Team Ninja are also clearly back on form after many off years. If there is a sequel or follow-up of some description, it'd be great to see them shake off the shackles off their inspiration a little more and go to town. Ultimately, the game is at its best when it plays like a more tactical, slower-paced follow-up to Ninja Gaiden - and the team sure as hell can put together a satisfying combat system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

And I'm done.

Overall thoroughly enjoyed it. A couple of notches easier than Dark Souls and the like I reckon, if anybody is on the fence for that reason. Didn't summon any help, and there was no major difficulty spikes beyond the second main boss oddly enough - if you can get past her, you're flying.

A few things hold it back from being great (it's merely really good instead). It overstays its welcome somewhat given the variety of creatures on display - while the level design stays sharp 'til the end, it's frustrating having to fight the same monsters a couple of dozen times. As I've said before, the loot system creates more busywork than is strictly necessary. I think the
    hydra monster
    also let things down in the final stretch - an annoying gimmick fight that abandons the sort of focused, one-on-one (occasionally two or three) combat the game excels at in favour of
    almost 360 degree projectiles
    flying around the gaff. Rectified a bit by a better epilogue boss, thankfully.

I won't be talking about Ni-Oh with the same sort of affection I have reserved for the best From games. But Team Ninja are also clearly back on form after many off years. If there is a sequel or follow-up of some description, it'd be great to see them shake off the shackles off their inspiration a little more and go to town. Ultimately, the game is at its best when it plays like a more tactical, slower-paced follow-up to Ninja Gaiden - and the team sure as hell can put together a satisfying combat system.

There's some new content coming before the DLC:
    In late March, Team Ninja will release a free Nioh update with 10 high difficulty missions, including boss rush-style missions.
    In late April, another free update will add a PvP update to Nioh.
    The first Nioh DLC, Dragon of Tohoku, also arrives in late April. It includes new weapons, scenarios, characters, guardian spirits, yokai and stages.
    The second Nioh DLC is called Japan’s Best Warrior and has not been dated.
    The third Nioh DLC is called Peaceful and Tranquil and has not been dated.

But before all that isn't there NG+ modes available and divine weapons etc? Plenty to keep one busy after the end credits roll, unless you're too busy running about Hyrule. :)

I've just made it to the fourth region, still no snow. :( Those water levels in regoin 3 - a few too many times I dodged an attack straight into the sea and dead. :D

Up to lvl 61 and mainly focussing on Magic, Dex and Body, few extra points in Skill. And yeah, Sloth Talisman is incredibly useful for tougher opponents - brilliant it is. I'm also using Weakness & Devigorate Talismans with Power Pill, Suppa Scroll to sneak back to a corpse and Quick-change Scroll is mighty handy before going into a boss fight.

Easily my favourite PS4 game to date. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    But before all that isn't there NG+ modes available and divine weapons etc? Plenty to keep one busy after the end credits roll, unless you're too busy running about Hyrule. :)

NG+ rarely interests me in any game TBH, and feel I've experienced most of what the game has to offer at this point. A few sub-missions I might wrap up if I get a chance, but have a few shorter indie games to work through before Hyrule beckons on Friday!

I'll keep an eye on the DLC and see how that is, but I can already tell you that the first pack is destined to be neglected for a good while in favour of Persona 5 ;)
    Easily my favourite PS4 game to date. :)

Not on the same level as Bloodborne or The Last Guardian for me, but still the sort of high-quality, relatively niche game it's great to see Sony supporting - especially when this game looked like vapourware :)

40 hours in and I've only stumbled upon the sloth talisman now. It's my own fault for ignoring magic, I suppose.

Evade wrote: »
    40 hours in and I've only stumbled upon the sloth talisman now. It's my own fault for ignoring magic, I suppose.

Yeah it really makes boss fights super easy, the spikes you throw on the ground in the ninja tree are also just as useful.

Stuck on the 2nd boss . She's so fast . I think I've messed up ploughing every single point into strength. Thinking of starting again

Stuck on the 2nd boss . She's so fast . I think I've messed up ploughing every single point into strength. Thinking of starting again

Salt is pretty useful against her, and she's probably the toughest early boss IMO. Focus on timing your dodges and if using an axe a high stance heavy combo to break her ki.

Alternatively you can buy a book of reincarnation from the blacksmith that will let you respec for 30k.

What level are you?

• Advertisement

Salt is pretty useful against her, and she's probably the toughest early boss IMO. Focus on timing your dodges and if using an axe a high stance heavy combo to break her ki.

Alternatively you can buy a book of reincarnation from the blacksmith that will let you respec for 30k.

What level are you?

I'm level 15 . I know magic sloth 1 would make things easier but not sure what I need to do with my current character to get that .

I need 3 more on myo magic skill points I think . How do I get them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm level 15 . I know magic sloth 1 would make things easier but not sure what I need to do with my current character to get that .

Sloth doesn't unlock for a good while yet. Think it's after a certain dojo training session.

Sloth doesn't unlock for a good while yet. Think it's after a certain dojo training session.

I saw someone on YouTube fight that boss with sloth

How do I get back to the map screen to access the blacksmith

Use one of your branches. Himorogi Branch i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Use one of your branches. Himorogi Branch i think.

Do you lose progress in the current mission?

sweetie wrote: »
    Do you lose progress in the current mission?

I think so. There is another branch that can be used unlimited times but you'll lose all amrita you've gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I saw someone on YouTube fight that boss with sloth

Probably playing it new game + or Twilight. It's not possible to acquire sloth at that point first time around. Axe & high stance, dodge and move away from everything until she throws one of her melee combos, hit her with a two hit combo and retreat, rinse and repeat.

You can't get Sloth yet, you'll need to do Apprentice Onmyou training in the Dojo which doesn't unlock until after the 3rd main mission IIRC. That aside Hino Enma is there to teach you the importance of dodging/reacting in Nioh for later enemies like those feathered bastards or a guy you'll have to beat soon-ish.

I suppose the two obvious things to say additionally would be to make sure you're using an axe given it scales primarily off strength (with maybe a spear as a back-up weapon) and to make sure you're staying under 70% weight limit so you don't end up too slow to dodge/recover ki. Make sure as well you're using living weapon when the opportunity arises, Kato (the Fire Dog) IMO is probably the best early one to use.
    bugs wrote: »
    Axe & high stance, dodge and move away from everything until she throws one of her melee combos, hit her with a two hit combo and retreat, rinse and repeat.

The above pretty much covers how to fight her with an axe, make sure you have anti-paralysis needles and salt slotted in your quickbar as well. If she gets a hard paralyse use a needle to clear out of the way before she can drain you.

If you have one the Himorogi Branch will let you get back to the map without losing your amrita, if you don't the Himorogi Fragment will do the same but you'll lose any amrita you've collected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Another helpful tip is to have kunai or shurikens equipped and hit her when she's in the air, causes massive stamina damage to her.

Personally I found the spear the best melee weapon to use against her due to the range.

Advertisement