Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still trying to figure it all out.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Cheers A. I'm definitely going to see the physio though - more because she'll talk sense into me than anything else!

Yeah I went Wednesday felt like a complete moron when I couldn't tell her exactly where my niggle was !!! But got comfort in the fact she said it was just fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck for Sunday HBS, hope you nail that target!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

P+D week 18 Race week! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    24/09-30/09

Monday 24/10

A very glutey 6 mile recovery run.

9:28, 9:21, 9:12, 9:13, 9:17, 9:46

A grand auld run - 3 miles around the pitch then two laps of the park with a few more laps of the pitch and up the hill to finish. Very enjoyable - I felt a bit of energy and had to rein myself in a few times.
    However the LHS hip/glute area was giving me fierce trouble. I went to see the physio that afternoon (same clinic different physio) and she went to town on it - elbows and all. She also did a bit of work on other side and the calves and the legs were feeling better afterwards.

Tuesday 25/10

In between nights, so I took a rest day. I did a bit of foam rolling and worked the gluten with a trigger point ball as advised. There was still a bit of stiffness there but it was much improved.

Wednesday 26/10

7 miles with 2@MP - 3 easy, 2@MP, 2 easy

Out to Blarney to bring mini me training, so I ran up and down the Slí na Slainte and around the village - its fairly flat. Again I had to rein it in on the 3 easy miles and the MP were a bit fast. I got a bit freaked when I saw the HR at 177 at one point, but looking at the data later the HR never dropped during the last 2 mile so I reckon the OHRM was acting up again.

8:56, 8:54, 9:23, 7:36, 7:36, 9:06, 9:16.

MP should really be 7:40 to 7:45, but better to be a bit quick today then on Sunday. The MP miles felt a bit tough, but having just come off nights with only 5 hours sleep I thought they would feel tougher.

But - the LHS glutes/ass/hip region tightened up again pretty soon afterwards. I felt ok when running, but about 20 minutes after stopping I could feel it start to knot. I'm going to try and stretch it out tonight and go at it with the ball again. I can feel a big knot inside there and its pinching a good bit. I really hope this clears before Sunday. I'm contemplating going for a Sports Massage, but to someone else for a change - but who? Am also worried another massage this close to Sunday might be counter productive. I'll just have to see how it is in the morning. I might just skip the other 2 short recovery runs I have scheduled as well if this keeps up. If it doesn't clear then I'm going to have seriously reconsider my goals for Sunday. And this is not a taper madness thing. I have plenty of other little niggles which magically appeared this week which disappeared as soon as I started running, but this is different. Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hope its nothing serious and stretching it will iron it out. Have a great race on Sunday.

Younganne wrote: »
    Hope its nothing serious and stretching it will iron it out. Have a great race on Sunday.

Cheers. I applied heat last night which seems to have helped and then tired to work it out with a trigger point ball. There's some improvement. I'm going to go to the physio again and see if she can loosen it a bit more. I'm not going to run at all today and tomorrow and I might do 20 minutes easy on Saturday if it has improved. There's no chance of me not running on Sunday, but at this stage I just want to get to the start line in as good a shape as possible and running for the next 3 days might do more harm than good.

• Advertisement

M if any help I went for sports massage last night she knows I'm doing marathon Sunday so didn't work it too hard and she taped the area as well my issue is in the same area as you. She also told me to take nurofen to take down the inflammation. Definately feeling better today. Good luck hopefully see you in Mc grattans after.

Cheers Mr Mc. I've been - she didn't work it too hard either, but did needle it once very gently - and got a few big twitches which released it a bit. I decided I'd rather loose time from getting needled than form the glue seizing. I'll try the neurofen too -good idea. I've also been told to apply heat and gently stretch it. It already feels better, but I'm taking no chances - I'm doing 20 minutes very very easy on grass Saturday morning before we leave for Dublin, followed by a small go with the trigger point ball, then a hot bath Saturday night and some gentle stretching. There's no loss of mobility - just loss of power after a while and it was pinching like crazy.

We've one good leg each - fancy doing a 3 legged race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Cheers Mr Mc. I've been - she didn't work it too hard either, but did needle it once very gently - and got a few big twitches which released it a bit. I decided I'd rather loose time from getting needled than form the glue seizing. I'll try the neurofen too -good idea. I've also been told to apply heat and gently stretch it. It already feels better, but I'm taking no chances - I'm doing 20 minutes very very easy on grass Saturday morning before we leave for Dublin, followed by a small go with the trigger point ball, then a hot bath Saturday night and some gentle stretching. There's no loss of mobility - just loss of power after a while and it was pinching like crazy.

If there is inflammation involved that needs nurofen then going at it with a trigger ball would be counter productive IMO. Be careful not to over do it with trying to stretch and loosen it out. Too
    much can be as bad as too little.

Take it handy and get to the startline after that let the training talk. You've done plenty of it. Deal with any tightness if it becomes a reality rather than over thinking it. Keep the Faith and ENJOY!!!

Have a good one. See you in McGrattans if not before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Make sure you hydrate properly after the bath, a hot one for any significant time can easily dehydrate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Have a good race, hope it all goes your way .

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advice. I'll definitely take it on board. I might scrap the bath altogether and go with a hot water bottle. Do ye think I made the right call with regards to not running? The worse that can happen from not running is what? I mighy feel a bit sluggish for the first mile or so on Sunday and a bit demented tomorrow but if I get to the start ok then that's all that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Cheers for the advice. I'll definitely take it on board. I might scrap the bath altogether and go with a hot water bottle. Do ye think I made the right call with regards to not running? The worse that can happen from not running is what? I mighy feel a bit sluggish for the first mile or so on Sunday and a bit demented tomorrow but if I get to the start ok then that's all that counts.

I think I'm in a similar boat - two days rest is better than one, the final run won't make any difference. I might do the smallest of warmups to loosen out close to the start time.

3 legged race love it !!! If it all goes to s*it that's what we'll do ha ha !!!

Singer wrote:
    I think I'm in a similar boat - two days rest is better than one, the final run won't make any difference. I might do the smallest of warmups to loosen out close to the start time.

Are you still going out with the same goal? I'm thinking f#ck it why not? Roll the dice and see how it goes.

Mrs Mc wrote:
    3 legged race love it !!! If it all goes to s*it that's what we'll do ha ha !!!

We're on. I'll bring the rope. I wonder what the world record is?

FBOT01 wrote:
    Have a good one. See you in McGrattans if not before.

I'll be in McGrattans and will probably be hanging around near your pace group at the start. With any luck that'll be the last time I'll see you until McGrattans although if it goes a bit pear shaped I might take a spin in your train!

Are you still going out with the same goal? I'm thinking f#ck it why not? Roll the dice and see how it goes.

Yeh, that's the plan :)

I will be sensible and reign things in if it's not going well, but hoping to keep the target in play for as long as possible.

So thanks for all the advice and good wishes. Apparently purring cats are good for the muscles so I have one on my lap at present which is why I'm still up. Honest.
    Also if its even the slightest bit sunny on Sunday I'll be wearing sunglasses. If its cloudy I won't be wearing any glasses so if I should now your face and don't say hello its because your not 2 feet away and your face is a bit blurry. I'll be all in black with orange shoes.
    Pace band printed (miles and 5k splits) - check.
    Running gear packed - check.
    Aerodynamic bazzer - check
    Knotty arse a bit less knotty - check.

It's now time for the great carb consumption of 2016. Roll on Sunday. Apologies in advance for any post-race boisterousness on Sunday. I'll be sinking a few. Recovery can wait until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

We're on. I'll bring the rope. I wonder what the world record is?

Can't believe I actually looked this up (but I did) http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/three-legged-running.html
    Marathon record is 3:08! If you did it while juggling cats you might get in the record book!

Seriously though, best of luck on Sunday, hope or works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

All the best HBS.

Have the bath, throw in some Epsom salt, great for relaxing muscles

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

A knotty arse, with or without sunglasses. That should make it easy to spot you:D. All the best HBS a great training cycle and accomplished with all those shifts. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck HBS. have a great race.

Hope to see you for a pint after! Enjoy the race. Hopefully won't be too dramatic!

Save us a seat in McGrattans. I shouldn't be that far behind you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck tomorrow.
    Enjoy it while vanquishing those 2015 demons in the process ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck HBS - see you after hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

It's been great following the training HSB! Have a fantastic race! Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Thanks everyone and if I haven't already wished you luck on your log then good luck. Mrs HBS was on driving duties today so that was a bonus because my legs usually feel rubbish after driving. Luckily I was able to get someone to collect my race pack so I avoided the expo which drained me last year. It also made the journey up from Cork way easier because we're staying out near the airport. I'm now chilling out in my hotel room feeling like a kid waiting for Santy while the family are all out visiting.
    Had a 20 min shake out this morning on grass with a few easy short strides. I felt a bit sluggish and a bit tight to be honest. I've stopped worrying and I'm just going to take it as it comes. Glutes are still a bit dodgy but I've been wearing heat patches all day which really help. I have had a pattern of having a crappy recovery run followed by a good run the next day so hopefully that pattern repeats itself tomorrow.
    I had planned on eating loads today but I just was hungry enough. I had porridge and toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, 600mls of sports drink (that High 5 stuff on the sachet) and around 4pm I ate a fairly large portion of pasta and sauce. I ate the flapjack from the goodie bag and I'm debating getting more food. I'm not really hungry though. I was the same last year and ended up feeling bloated on race day so much so that I could barely eat breakfast so that's not happening again. I'm just looking forward to the event now and hopefully get a good nights sleep.
    It's just occurred to me that it's been a year since I had a pint of Guiness. I can't f@#kin wait.

Note to self: Don't be sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Congrats on the big PB well done

Advertisement