Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superhero Tournament Discussion Thread

Options
  • 24-04-2016 12:09am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought it might be an idea to throw a thread for the tournament and possible future tournaments.
    And also discuss previous or current bouts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thanks to everyone for playing along. It got off to a sluggish start and I was wondering at that point if it would have the legs to go the distance but then people got on board with it and it picked up momentum.

Someone mentioned in the tournament thread about omitted heroes and there were some I had to leave out that were close to getting in. War Machine was one who nearly made it. Iron Fist was another. I tried to go for the most mainstream ones and ensure that the 'big' ones featured. Did I leave out anyone's favourites?

As for this round, I can give a teaser that there's one mammoth clash coming up which will see one big iconic character go out.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm really enjoying it. The last few clashes Dredd v Flash and Beast v Superman were pretty exciting, because the votes were so close on those ones. Was on the edge of my seat waiting for the tie-breaking vote to be cast in those two face-offs.

Knowing the remaining players in this round, it's gonna be some pretty epic match-ups, so looking forward to see how it plays out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Gutted Deadpool went out so early - definitely thought he'd get to the semis at least. Also I missed Spawns matchup - love both him and The Punisher and it would've been close but I might have thrown a vote in there for Spawn. Probably wouldn't have made any difference though!

Beta Ray Bill came to mind as an omission but may not have been a popular choice with other people.

John Constantine maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd be up for putting together a B tournament to go with you're super villian tournament ..

Theres loads Star Lord , the rest of the guardians, US Agent, Luke Cage, Iron Fist as you mentioned, and then you have some super villians who have been hero's too such as Red Hulk, Venom and others

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Another possible future tournament maybe superhero's without superpowers?
    e.g Batman,The Punisher,Rorschach

Also is the current tournament meant to be who is our favourite hero in each bout or who would win in a fight?
    Cause if its a fight can't like Dr Manhattan click his fingers and disintegrate someone :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Imstunned Morpheus was eliminated... He's my main guy...
    But I'll pick up the pieces...!

Thanks for creating it..
    Have you a link to the wrestling one you referenced?

sonic85 wrote: »
    Beta Ray Bill came to mind as an omission but may not have been a popular choice with other people.

John Constantine maybe?

John Constantine was involved but he had the unenviable task of facing Captain America in round 1. :pac:
    I'd be up for putting together a B tournament to go with you're super villian tournament ..

Theres loads Star Lord , the rest of the guardians, US Agent, Luke Cage, Iron Fist as you mentioned, and then you have some super villians who have been hero's too such as Red Hulk, Venom and others

Sounds good, but maybe best to wait until after the Supervillains one because as you touched on there will be characters that feature in that who will have been heroes too. Venom, Catwoman, etc.
    PerrinV2 wrote:
    Another possible future tournament maybe superhero's without superpowers?
    e.g Batman,The Punisher,Rorschach

Also is the current tournament meant to be who is our favourite hero in each bout or who would win in a fight?
    Cause if its a fight can't like Dr Manhattan click his fingers and disintegrate someone :pac:

Yeah I can see that tournament working well. Another one I was thinking of was best superhero movie as there have been loads in recent times. I'm sure there are a good few options that can be considered.

As for the criteria for getting through, that's up to each person really. Some have based their decisions on who they think would win in a fight, others on who they like the most, but it's up to you.
    Imstunned Morpheus was eliminated... He's my main guy...
    But I'll pick up the pieces...!

Thanks for creating it..
    Have you a link to the wrestling one you referenced?

Yeah, this is the most recent one they did - 'Worst Wrestlemania':

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057582069

The user Omackeral tends to do them and I believe there is a new one about to start so keep an eye out for that.

Anyways I'll soon be posting the next tie in the round of 16.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

John Constantine was involved but he had the unenviable task of facing Captain America in round 1. :pac:.

Oops my bad! There were so many matchups in such a short space of time I've forgotten some of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well done Mr.Nice Guy great Idea and great fun thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Be cool if we could do some kind of write up for these bouts. Maybe we could do like a long form one fight per day, creative writing tourney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Maybe instead of first to 4 votes, it could be most votes in a 12 hour period or something? Might drag the arse out of it too much then I suppose.

Good work with it though, some characters I didn't know about so I tended not to vote on them match ups as thought it'd be unfair to vote blindly.

TheKells wrote: »
    Maybe instead of first to 4 votes, it could be most votes in a 12 hour period or something? Might drag the arse out of it too much then I suppose.

Good work with it though, some characters I didn't know about so I tended not to vote on them match ups as thought it'd be unfair to vote blindly.

I was actually thinking of a 24 hour time limit for the final just to make sure everyone got a chance to vote.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on that.

I was actually thinking of a 24 hour time limit for the final just to make sure everyone got a chance to vote.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on that.

Whatever you think would work best sounds good, as you've been doing a great job so far.

24 hours for the final sounds good. I've been trying to keep an eye on the thread on my phone but even so I've missed some of the matchups. I'm back to work tomorrow and won't get much of a chance to post so leaving the voting open a little longer would be great.

I might make the semi-finals the first to 5 votes to give a greater chance of people having a say.

I'll make the final a 24 hour time limit with the most votes taking the crown.

Some big casualties that last round. I was thinking Spidey might win the thing.

I might make the semi-finals the first to 5 votes to give a greater chance of people having a say.

I'll make the final a 24 hour time limit with the most votes taking the crown.

Some big casualties that last round. I was thinking Spidey might win the thing.

The Punisher is taking out some big competition. Even though I voted for Punisher in the last round, beforehand I would've predicted Spider-Man would be the victor in that match-up. It'll be interesting to see who Punisher goes up against in the semi-finals and if he could potentially beat Batman, Wolverine or Professor X.

Batman beat Superman
    88155efa961948d0627e61236c7d1f2b.jpg
    Just my opinion though.

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Batman beat Superman
    88155efa961948d0627e61236c7d1f2b.jpg
    Just my opinion though.

I know Superman fans are really into Superman and more power to them, but doesn't pretty much everyone else usually prefer Batman? Batman I imagine has more of a universal appeal. I've always been a big Batman fan since I was a kid anyway, so I'm probably biased, but I had always just assumed that a person who didn't have a particular affiliation to either of them, would generally be more drawn to Batman, given the choice.

Maybe it's just me, but I would've been more shocked if Superman had won that one.

I know Superman fans are really into Superman and more power to them, but doesn't pretty much everyone else usually prefer Batman? Batman I imagine has more of a universal appeal. I've always been a big Batman fan since I was a kid anyway, so I'm probably biased, but I had always just assumed that a person who didn't have a particular affiliation to either of them, would generally be more drawn to Batman, given the choice.

Maybe it's just me, but I would've been more shocked if Superman had won that one.
    Ah I'm just trying to start a row :pac:

Plus as mentioned earlier you can base your vote off anything,personal perference,powers,their films/tv series etc,whereas I'm just picturing everything as a fight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I'm going more by who the most interesting character is, not necessarily who could beat who in a fight. And to me Batman would be a far more interesting character than Superman.

• Advertisement

Who could beat who couldn't really work because some hero's are much more powerful than others. The final would probably end up being Superman vs Dr Manhatten.

That was a great matchup between Wolverine and The Punisher! Was sure Castle was going to walk it at one stage.

I think i know who the winner is gonna be though before the final starts - I think it'll be no contest. I'm gonna have a hard time choosing between the two - toss of a coin really.

Roll on the final!

That was a great matchup between Wolverine and The Punisher! Was sure Castle was going to walk it at one stage.

I think i know who the winner is gonna be though before the final starts - I think it'll be no contest. I'm gonna have a hard time choosing between the two - toss of a coin really.

Roll on the final!

Yeah, same it's a toss up for the final for me, but I do love a good underdog story, so that could potentially be the decided for my final round vote.

It was always gonna be Batman. Wolverine put up a good fight though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was always gonna be Batman. Wolverine put up a good fight though!

Yeah I knew Batman would be in the final. Would have thought it'd come down to him and Spider-Man and if it had been Spider-Man, I think it would have been much closer, though I'd imagine Bats still would have edged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can we throw up suggestions for the villian tournament ??? i'm going to list some here anyway to give ya a hand

Red Skull, Baron Zemo, Crossbones, Modok, Arnim Zola, Winter Soldier, Madame Hydra, Crimson Dynamo, Purple Man, Titanium Man, Mandarin, Fing Fang Foom, Baron Mordo, Klaw, Mole Man, Kang the Conqueror, Annihilus, Thanos, Carnage, Ronan The Accuser, Doctor Doom, Galactus, Ajax, Taskmaster, Kingpin, Bullseye, Penguin, Hugo Strange, Venom, Red Hulk, Abombination, Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Joker, Hydro Man , Sand Man , Hobgoblin, Bane, Poison Ivy, Brainiac, Zod, Doomsday, Ultron,

I could probably go on for ages but ya healthy few there anyway

Cheers for that, br09.

I found a list IGN did of the 100 greatest comic book villains which I've found helpful; also, I have been checking over recent superhero films to confirm the antagonists in that. I've ended up with a very large list of supervillains - a lot bigger than the 64 I will limit the tournament to - so there will be notable omissions since it's unavoidable. I just hope I have the 'biggest' ones involved.

I've done the draw for the tournament and there are some big match-ups in there. I will post up the tournament soon. :cool:

The supervillain tournament is up and away.

I should point out that like with the superhero game, I at times went with a more mainstream choice (rightly or wrongly) when conflicted over a certain choice.

This game also presented a new challenge: should I limit the number of villains for a certain hero? For example, Batman and Spider-Man have (imo) a stellar cast of villains, but I wondered should I limit some of their numbers to make room for lesser-known villains that are associated with other heroes?

Well, again rightly or wrongly, I made the decision that I would not do this; so if you notice a greater degree of Batman and Spider-man villains, that will be why.

Blade vs Joker
    I had to vote Blade for this badassery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Shocked at the lack of love for V for Vendetta....shocked!!

Advertisement