Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superhero Tournament Discussion Thread

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Can't believe Tim Daly went out...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

vwi402f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Nice to see the support for Stephen Amell there, and I'll probably be crucified just for saying this (especially with some of the other names still in the tournament), but I'm rooting for him to win the whole competition...

Nice to see the support for Stephen Amell there, and I'll probably be crucified just for saying this (especially with some of the other names still in the tournament), but I'm rooting for him to win the whole competition...

But he's a terrible actor.... He does well in the show like but he's a terrible terrible actor. That said, he actually seems like a really good, charitable dude.

But he's a terrible actor.... He does well in the show like but he's a terrible terrible actor. That said, he actually seems like a really good, charitable dude.

He's no De Niro, but terrible is a bit harsh. Personally, I think he's really likeable and from my perspective plays the role very well. It does help that he genuinely seems like a really stand up guy in real life and that is definitely something I would take into account when I'm voting in these competitions - when playing a superhero on TV, the way the actors interact with their fans (especially kids) I think is also a very important part of having that role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

In fairness I wouldn't be too clued up on "good" or "bad" acting skills but to me I've always felt he was cast perfectly as the arrow. He is the arrow for me now. To the point I saw him in New Girl and was like "wtf is Oliver doing?!" I don't think I'd like anyone else playing the role of Oliver Queen in the future.

There's only a couple that I might vote for over him.

He's no De Niro, but terrible is a bit harsh. Personally, I think he's really likeable and from my perspective plays the role very well. It does help that he genuinely seems like a really stand up guy in real life and that is definitely something I would take into account when I'm voting in these competitions - when playing a superhero on TV, the way the actors interact with their fans (especially kids) I think is also a very important part of having that role.

You're right actually; I was OTT with terrible. He's not a great actor but he does suit the role and, as the poster above said, I do completely associate him with Green Arrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Amell seems like a nice bloke game for a laugh (appearing in wwe for example which most actors wouldn't do). I'm not a fan of Arrow but I wouldn't begrudge him doing well in this tournament.

But Cam Clarke is leader of the Turtles guys... :o

No offense to John Wesley Shipp, he's amazing, but we're talking f**king Leonardo here lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Voting on the actors, not their characters.

I think Cam Clarke is great too (though I love him more for Liquid Snake than Leonardo), but I think John Wesley Shipp was outstanding in The Flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

As much as i like Bernthal's performance sad to see Peter Cullen out, it takes great skill to convey that sense of leadership he did with Optimus.

Was sad to see Joe Gilgun get knocked out but at the end of the day, can't argue against Chloe Bennett in respect of time clocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like Ming-Na Wen but going over the legend that is Kevin Conroy? Will her performances stand the test of time like his have? Not sure.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I like Ming-Na Wen but going over the legend that is Kevin Conroy? Will her performances stand the test of time? Not sure.

Yep; outrageous. Conroy has been Batman for 24 years, remains the best there's ever been and still draws excitement every time he's cast in the role. Wen, while very strong in AoS will fade quickly once her show ends... Pity...

I like Ming-Na Wen but going over the legend that is Kevin Conroy? Will her performances stand the test of time like his have? Not sure.

For what it's worth, it was not an easy decision, and as amazing as Kevin Conroy is, in a way it came down to Batman fatigue because of the amount Batman actors and Batman as a character has dominated the competitions so far - that's what it was for me anyway. And I really do like Ming-Na Wen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Horrible call letting Conroy lose there. Raging I missed the vote.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Missed it too,also would have voted Conroy.

Symptom of MCU domination unfortunately. There were a few dodgy results IMO in the last tournament and this due to it.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Symptom of MCU domination unfortunately. There were a few dodgy results IMO in the last tournament and this due to it.

DC characters have won almost every tournament though... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I go to see Jason Bourne and come back to find that Kevin Conroy and Chloe Bennet are out.....crap

• Advertisement

I was going to stick up the next tie now but I'll wait until Friday evening to give more people a chance to get involved. We might get the final up and running too possibly.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I would have voted Chloe bennet in the actor competition, but I missed out on the event...

Might an option for these competition things (although it might be too late now as Mr Nice Guy has created and succeded in having loads of competitions already) to put down all the rounds together... and over 24 hours, people say who they want as a winner...
    Not being logged on sometimes means you don t get your say in all the fun..

And this is fun, thanks Mr Nice Guy for doing it...
    this suggestion might be used for next year if you run it again.. and wonder woman kicks everyone's asses...!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ben Gadot wrote: »

DC characters, and particularly Batman related ones, have fared unbelievably well in all of these competitions, with Batman-related characters/shows/movies winning the majority of them.

Kevin Conroy going out to Ming Na Wen is definitely an upset, but these competitions are hugely determined by who is online and who reaches the required number of votes first. And in the movie actors one, Conroy was beaten in the final by Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool, who is outside of the MCU.

I still fully expect a DC-related actor to win this one. Hell my money has been on Grant Gustin from the start. "MCU domination" has nothing to do with it.

Penn wrote: »
    DC characters, and particularly Batman related ones, have fared unbelievably well in all of these competitions, with Batman-related characters/shows/movies winning the majority of them.

Kevin Conroy going out to Ming Na Wen is definitely an upset, but these competitions are hugely determined by who is online and who reaches the required number of votes first. And in the movie actors one, Conroy was beaten in the final by Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool, who is outside of the MCU.

I still fully expect a DC-related actor to win this one. Hell my money has been on Grant Gustin from the start. "MCU domination" has nothing to do with it.

I'm aware that Deadpool is outside the MCU but the general point still stands.

Reynolds did so well in the role, but at the end of the day he has one fantastic film and one awful film under his belt currently as the character.

That's in comparison to Conroy who has decades in the role across various platforms, and the fans still love him in the role after all this time.

MCU domination was perhaps the wrong phrase to use, but I do believe some short term thinking has won out on some of the votes.

I can't tell people how to vote anyway! Nor would I want to, it's only an online superhero tournament at the end of the day.

Very interesting final so far which is still in the balance. Currently Grant Gustin leads 6-5 over Charlie Cox with a little under 4 hours remaining.

Advertisement