Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superhero Tournament Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

TheKells wrote: »
    Shocked at the lack of love for V for Vendetta....shocked!!

I thought that would be more popular too. I think this tournament could spring a few surprises.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This will sound like a pissy criticism of V For Vendetta but the ADR always bugged me in that movie. It never once felt like Hugo Weaving was behind the mask. It just felt like V was a stuntman and Weaving showed up later. Also, they completely changed the ending from the book, which annoyed me. That said, it was up against Constantine which, while a fun film, shares basically only the character's name with the book. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Fairly shocked that Dredd lost to Zorro

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yeah, I would've thought Dredd had it in the bag. I expected to see it get much closer to the final than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I loved Dredd, but voted for Zorro.
    Both actors were perfectly cast and it was a really tough call but Banderas was just super cool in Zorro. Proper swashbuckling

• Advertisement

Pleasantly surprised to see Mask of the Phantasm go through. That's one of my favourites and I felt it was likely to get knocked out.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pleasantly surprised to see Mask of the Phantasm go through. That's one of my favourites and I felt it was likely to get knocked out.

DC might be crap at making there live action comic book movies but there animated movies are great.

DC might be crap at making there live action comic book movies but there animated movies are great.

They were up until tey started basing them on Geoff Johns' books. The Flashpoint Paradox was decent but everything since then has suuuuuucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They were up until tey started basing them on Geoff Johns' books. The Flashpoint Paradox was decent but everything since then has suuuuuucked.

That's true the last two years or so output has been really weak.

It's unfortunate cos they were onto such a winner. And for some reason, they kept replacing Kevin Conroy as Batman, even though he's the best batman there's ever been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'm gutted The Crow was knocked out by Batman (1989)... The Crow is my favourite superhero movie of all time. Luckily I haven t seen any of the sequels.. it remains incredibly awesome, brilliant dialogue, with the best soundtrack in a movie, bar none..

here's to you TinTin...... burn it up.. burn it up...

Sad to see Superman go out. That would be my personal favourite superhero movie. I knew it would have it tough up against Batman.

I can't watch this Guardians of the Galaxy vs Deadpool face-off... About to lose one of my favourites no matter which way the votes fall.

That's the toughest one yet, pity whomever has to cast the deciding vote there

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Although I knew it wouldn't win (and no more apt film for it to be knocked out by than CA: Civil War), but it's getting to the point where I think Avengers Age of Ultron may be my favourite superhero movie of all time. I like and respect it more each time I watch it. I love the character and performance of Ultron. The Vision is just beyond brilliant and his final speech with Ultron is amazing. I love the doomed romance between Banner and Romanov (their scene in Barton's house, particularly the extended version of it is insanely well-written and acted). Pretty much all the jokes and humour in it are on point for me anyway. I love the visions that Cap/Nat/Thor have and what they mean for those characters.

I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan anyway so maybe I'm predisposed to liking it, and I do recognise it has its flaws (particularly the proper ending to the Banner/Romanov scene being cut), but damn I just love the whole thing.

It was never going to win this competition, but I think it gets a much harder time than it deserves. Besides:

https://gfycat.com/FlimsyBriefGlassfrog (won't embed)

Gutted The Tick didn't make it through in the TV Tournament - would've been a potential winner for me... At least Top 3 after early 90s classics X-Men Animated Series and Batman Animated Series.

Also glad to see Secret World of Alex Mack was in contention - blast from the past. Gonna have to track down a couple of episodes of that.

Found myself humming the theme from power rangers all day in work. I hope it does well in the tournament

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Spiderman knocked out

clay-davis-150x150.jpg

Sad to see Captain Planet exit the competition, but he lost to a worthy opponent.

Glad The Flash is doing well in this tournament - I was in the US a few years ago and randomly got to be part of a focus groups in Las Vegas for when they were introducing Grant Gustin as Barry Allen in Season 2 of Arrow (a good few months before the episode aired - it still had a lot of post-production editing that needed to be done at that stage), which was a pretty epic focus group to stumble in to.

Everyone is mental! Arrow over Jessica Jones?!? Baffling...

• Advertisement

Everyone is mental! Arrow over Jessica Jones?!? Baffling...

Season 2 of Arrow was superb and even though it's a lot of the time it's in no way a perfect show, even when it's getting it wrong, it's still fun and enjoyable - it also paved the way for The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Jessica Jones was great, but for me it came down to one 13 episode season of Jessica Jones vs four 23 episode seasons of Arrow, to go on.

Season 2 of Arrow was superb and even though it's a lot of the time it's in no way a perfect show, even when it's getting it wrong, it's still fun and enjoyable - it also paved the way for The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Jessica Jones was great, but for me it came down to one 13 episode season of Jessica Jones vs four 23 episode seasons of Arrow, to go on.

Season 2 of Arrow was indeed great. Still not nearly as good as Jessica Jones but it was very solid. I thought season 3 was the worst season of superhero tv I'd seen until I watched season 4...

Season 2 of Arrow was indeed great. Still not nearly as good as Jessica Jones but it was very solid. I thought season 3 was the worst season of superhero tv I'd seen until I watched season 4...

I'm one of the rare few who didn't think Season 3 of Arrow was as terrible as everyone else seems to think it is and quite enjoyed it - same with Season 1, once you get through the first handful of episodes. Season 4 was really bad, but even still had it's moments of greatness such as the Constantine episode and the Vixen episode plus a few others earlier on in the season, in particular.

It's actually unfortunate that Arrow and Jessica Jones came up against each other - there's other shows still in the tournament who have thus far scraped by due to being up against lesser competition and we've lost some great shows because they went against other big hitters...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'm not crazy about either show tbh but I did enjoy the arrow and flash crossover stuff so that's what swayed my vote. I wouldn't be particularly fussed if I never seen another episode of each all the same. Both have much better shows from within the same "world" in daredevil and flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Really disappointed neither YJ or DD got through.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Can't see Batman losing.

TMNT v Batman is an epic battle. Nerves are shot completely

skipper_G wrote: »
    TMNT v Batman is an epic battle. Nerves are shot completely

I know. The wait is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I had to kill off Batman... TMNT is good for memories..

What I can't get over is why DareDevil isn't still there.. best show on TV...
    No more votes for me on this thread.. the final is up to you good folk...

• Advertisement

Wow that was tense, loved both shows. Glad it went to a deciding vote and even more glad I didn't have to make that decision :D

Advertisement