Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superhero Tournament Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Think Bale won. I don't see what's shocking about Rudd getting a few votes though tbh. He's a fantastic actor, easily on par with Bale, though arguably better. Bale was a great Batman but Rudd was a great Ant-Man.

I like AntMan. Paul Rudd was grand. He played Paul Rudd doing a superhero film. Bale was much better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I like AntMan. Paul Rudd was grand. He played Paul Rudd doing a superhero film. Bale was much better though.

In fairness, it could be argued that Bale did little more than "play Bale doing a superhero film", his film just happened to be more serious in tone. I like Bale but none of the Dark Knight movies showcased his best work at all. Again, I think he was a great Batman but there's not much that points to him putting in a better performance than Rudd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In fairness, it could be argued that Bale did little more than "play Bale doing a superhero film", his film just happened to be more serious in tone. I like Bale but none of the Dark Knight movies showcased his best work at all. Again, I think he was a great Batman but there's not much that points to him putting in a better performance than Rudd.

I second this - Bale wasn't the standout performance in the Dark Knight Trilogy, he did a good job, but a strong supporting cast, and great writer and director were the real heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think Bale was a great Batman in fantastic Batman films. That being said, there are enough elements of his performance where I think it's fair enough for him to get knocked out at this stage. His Bat-voice and his overacting with his mouth (seriously, watch how his mouth moves while speaking as Batman. That's not just doing the voice, he's emoting with his mouth) can be quite grating.

For me, Affleck was a better Batman in a much worse film than Bale was with the best films.

Rudd was just fantastic. He wasn't given anything particularly special to work with, but in both Ant-Man and Civil War he really did a great job and fit well into a role that not many people expected much from.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bale was good in Batman Begins after that I didn't enjoy his performances as Batman or Bruce Wayne to be honest.

• Advertisement

I second this - Bale wasn't the standout performance in the Dark Knight Trilogy, he did a good job, but a strong supporting cast, and great writer and director were the real heroes.

This us true. It's a cliché to say Ledger was the standout but it's also extremely true.
    Penn wrote: »
    I think Bale was a great Batman in fantastic Batman films. That being said, there are enough elements of his performance where I think it's fair enough for him to get knocked out at this stage. His Bat-voice and his overacting with his mouth (seriously, watch how his mouth moves while speaking as Batman. That's not just doing the voice, he's emoting with his mouth) can be quite grating.

For me, Affleck was a better Batman in a much worse film than Bale was with the best films.

Rudd was just fantastic. He wasn't given anything particularly special to work with, but in both Ant-Man and Civil War he really did a great job and fit well into a role that not many people expected much from.

All of this!
    Bale was good in Batman Begins after that I didn't enjoy his performances as Batman or Bruce Wayne to be honest.

I was never sold on Bale's Bruce Wayne; I think he was much better as Batman than as BW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I thought Bale was excellent in Begins, as he really nailed the duality of Bruce as well as presenting a vulnerable yet unwavering spirit. TDK relied on the ensemble of performances to sell the story so it's natural that Bale was less prominent in the middle instalment. When the trilogy closed and put Bale front and centre he gave a wonderful performance again.

I just love that trilogy and Bale was a big part of that so I would have voted for Bale.

Rudd is a great actor and he was one of the actors that stole the show in CW, but for me personally his resume of performances just isn't quite on a par with Bale's.

Very possible the final could just be Civil War!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Nah.. Reynolds + someone else.. RDJ probably...

Just realised first to 3 so I take it RDJ won there?

First to 3 seems a bit tight, especially in the latter stages. I understand the reasoning as forum might not have that traffic, just perhaps something to consider for future games. :)

/back to serious business. :pac:

EDIT ah christ nevermind, just saw first to 5. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What a tie!

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Mental that a Voice actor has won it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

??
    Its 9-7 to Reynolds and it doesnt end until 11 tonight.

I used to think the same way but you have to respect the longevity of both Conroy and Hamill in their roles.

It's almost unprecedented to see two actors not only critically acclaimed in their roles but also two actors that the fanbase still crave for after all this time.

Isn't that what the tournament is about? It shouldn't matter that Conroy is a voice actor, the guy is without peer more and less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Although I do massively respect the effort Reynolds had to go to get Deadpool made. Is it not more mental that someone with 1 good and 2 bad (I think he's only been in 2 more?) superhero films wins?

Conroy has been at the top of his game for 2 decades now across TV shows, movies and video games. Just the catalog of stuff he's done as batman and most of it at least to my knowledge is good to great. The more I think about it the more I think he is by far the most deserving winner.

Conroy and Hamill are hands down the best Batman and Joker across all animation, tv or film and deserve more credit and public acknowledgement and appreciation for their work.

I wasn't saying mental in a bad way at all ...Far from it Hamill and Conroy are amazing

I know I said I'd start the next tournament tonight but I think the weather's too nice for it at the moment, so I'll kick it off on Friday evening instead. :)

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I know I said I'd start the next tournament tonight but I think the weather's too nice for it at the moment, so I'll kick it off on Friday evening instead. :)

I think you mean too bloody hot to be making any decisions or doing anything... Spent a good hour today in the freezer section of Dunnes Stores just to cool down a bit... ;)

I'll start it tomorrow evening. Weather's meant to be disappointing. ;)

• Advertisement

This is facking unacceptable!! :pac:

Anyone want to share their personal favourites? Grant Gustin, Krysten Ritter and a couple of the lads from the Daredevil show would be my picks.

Gotham picked up in its 2nd season so I wouldn't mind seeing Robin Taylor, Camren Bicondova and Cory Michael Smith doing well.

Loved Beranthal's punisher a strong favourite in this competition

We are go for launch. I won't give any names away but I've tried to get a nice balance of old-school, nostalgia favourites plus the modern names.

I also included a fair few voice actors who you probably won't recognise on their names alone, but who I felt, like Kevin Conroy, merited inclusion for their work in the animated shows.

We are go for launch. I won't give any names away but I've tried to get a nice balance of old-school, nostalgia favourites plus the modern names.

I also included a fair few voice actors who you probably won't recognise on their names alone, but who I felt, like Kevin Conroy, merited inclusion for their work in the animated shows.

I'll be interested to see if Rob Paulsen makes an appearance as one of the voice actors - don't tell me if he does or not, it'll be a nice surprise if he is in there, but I'm also not necessarily expecting him to be.

As someone who kept faith with Gotham for Season 2, very frustrating to see Ben McKenzie beat there.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    As someone who kept faith with Gotham for Season 2, very frustrating to see Ben McKenzie beat there.

I've given Gotham a fair chance, thought it had improved a lot early on in Season 2, and just couldn't stick it any longer towards the end of Season 2, it was just all over the place. Even though I liked a lot of the actors in Gotham, Ben McKensie isn't one of the stronger players in the cast (you wouldn't really miss him if he was written out, which isn't a great thing to be able to say about a show's main star), whereas Agents of SHIELD is amazing and the cast all compliment each other very well, and Chloe Bennet has been fantastic throughout...

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Ben Gadot wrote: »

I gave up after about 5-6 episodes, is it worth giving it another chance? I really disliked the penguin actor.

TheKells wrote: »
    I gave up after about 5-6 episodes, is it worth giving it another chance? I really disliked the penguin actor.

For me Robin Taylor, who plays Penguin, became one of the strongest things about the show.

I can understand why you didn't like him in the first few episodes anyway as I wasn't a fan myself. Season 1 really was poor in so many ways but I feel things were rectified significantly on season 2.

The Penguin & Riddler are the only thing keeping me interested in the show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Just cause he's in a battle now,lol.

Advertisement