Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My grandad could write on the 1901 census but he couldn't on the 1911 one.....:p

Drink is an awful affliction :pac:

One of my ancestors - great great great grandfather I think - was down as a revenue official on the 1901 census but was also apparently blind. Not sure if he was retired and the person filling in misread, or lying, or not blind.

I have no letterbox, I don't recognize letters, they're dangerous things.

Going to be increasingly common (whether or not you were taking the piss) - I need to get my front door replaced and I'll get an An Post deliverybox and get a door with no letterbox. No junk mail. Will ensure courier deliveries go to work and CityPost have only ever delivered misery.
    What happens if a house is empty on the night? :confused:

Either the enumerator marks it as so, or the normal residents mark it as so if there are any. I went to a gig in Holland on the weekend of the 2011 census but returned late on the evening of - I know of an entire household that were at the gig with me who stayed over a day so had to mark as absent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

L1011 wrote: »
    Drink is an awful affliction :pac:

One of my ancestors - great great great grandfather I think - was down as a revenue official on the 1901 census but was also apparently blind. Not sure if he was retired and the person filling in misread, or lying, or not blind.

Going to be increasingly common (whether or not you were taking the piss) - I need to get my front door replaced and I'll get an An Post deliverybox and get a door with no letterbox. No junk mail. Will ensure courier deliveries go to work and CityPost have only ever delivered misery.

Either the enumerator marks it as so, or the normal residents mark it as so if there are any. I went to a gig in Holland on the weekend of the 2011 census but returned late on the evening of - I know of an entire household that were at the gig with me who stayed over a day so had to mark as absent.

It does get counter referenced apparently. If you weren't at home they'll find where you were or if you get listed twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    That's a shame, you'd love it.
    Loads of questions on it!

This made me laugh :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Have never filled one of these in in 40 years and have never been prosecuted! Don't think I'll bother with this one as well. I refused to conform to this data collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How do you find out when the house was built? :pac:

The house I'm in is now three or four times the size of the original house but still retains almost all of the original structure.

Do I put down a guess of when the house was originally built, guess when it was first extended or the date we extended it again to it's current built state/size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It was the night before the census and OP realises he doesn't have a form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm going drinking tomorrow, and probably won't be in any fit state to do it. I've never done one before. Does it matter if I do it Monday or does it have to be tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I'm going drinking tomorrow, and probably won't be in any fit state to do it. I've never done one before. Does it matter if I do it Monday or does it have to be tomorrow

Whoever is in the house tomorrow night has to be documented, if you know who will there, could be done now.

Likewise, it can be done on Monday. It is going to take the enumerators a few days to collect them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If I'm in the pub will I be documented there

Would love to see some on the answers in that case.

Will be a lot of :

"Sex?" ...... "Yes please"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

It could be a killer chat up line, OP. Sidle up to someone you fancy and say "I haven't got a census form, can I come home with you and fill in yours ;)".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

What happens if a house is empty on the night? :confused:
    Its getting burgled!!!

How many of yis are Jedi's this time around??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

daheff wrote: »
    Its getting burgled!!!

How many of yis are Jedi's this time around??

Can I be Catholic Sith?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

Can I be Catholic Sith?

absolutely!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

i didnt get a form either. Rang the number and got no answer. No idea why i need to speak to the lad delivering it. Just put it in my letterbox and ill fill it in.

Enumerators need to check if the number of households at a property has changed since the last census. If, for example, you are now renting a room out, your property will need to be issued with 2 forms - one for you and one for your tenant who's details will also need to be recorded. If a property is fully rented out, they will need to check the relationships of those living there and issue the required forms. They also need to generate new household reference numbers for these and record the new details. It not simply a case of 1 form per property. It is a hard enough job especially when it comes to collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

If I've made a mistake do I use tippex to remove the wrong answer? I'm assuming this would be the case...

Looked it up on the census website and it's not there. I mean most people always take two forms in case they make a balls of the first one!! By most people I mean me. And maybe it is in the depths of the census website and I'm a bigger eejit than I thought. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

VandC wrote:
    If I've made a mistake do I use tippex to remove the wrong answer? I'm assuming this would be the case...

VandC wrote:
    Looked it up on the census website and it's not there. I mean most people always take two forms in case they make a balls of the first one!! By most people I mean me. And maybe it is in the depths of the census website and I'm a bigger eejit than I thought.

It says on the first page of the form.

Just scribble the box you've made a mistake in. And mark the correct one as you normally would again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Just scribble the box you've made a mistake in. And mark the correct one as you normally would again.

Jaysus, musta read that like forty times!!! Obv no attention span! Back to bed for me :D thanks French_Girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

If I'm in the pub will I be documented there

Its where you are staying the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

I filled in mine 2-3 weeks ago...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

tampopo wrote: »

You could have died! :D

tampopo wrote:

You could have died!

Or got lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have no letterbox, I don't recognize letters, they're dangerous things.

That's OK, the census form is not a letter:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

biko wrote: »
    It was the night before the census and OP realises he doesn't have a form.

I'm not sure which is worse, realising he doesn't have one or asking the denizens of After Hours about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The census.

Great old form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Allinall

I mentioned earlier that they posted mine through the letterbox when I wasn't in.

After opening the envelope, it was all creased and torn.

Bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Do they tolerate blackguarding on these things? General health of my 2 month old son leaves a lot of options open,

ASK MY DAD, HE CHANGES MY ****TY NAPPIES.

WELL I CAN DO A GOOD 4 YARD SPEW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Maybe I'll let the cat fill it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

mansize wrote: »
    Maybe I'll let the cat fill it out.

Well cats do think they are the masters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm flying out of the country next Sunday so I don't have to fill out the census. Pah! I don't want them knowing where I live

It's confidential

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement