Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Enumerators need to check if the number of households at a property has changed since the last census. If, for example, you are now renting a room out, your property will need to be issued with 2 forms - one for you and one for your tenant who's details will also need to be recorded. If a property is fully rented out, they will need to check the relationships of those living there and issue the required forms. They also need to generate new household reference numbers for these and record the new details. It not simply a case of 1 form per property. It is a hard enough job especially when it comes to collection.

4 mates of mine rent a place. They got one form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Whatever way people fill it in, have a thought for the person trying to make a few quid delivering and collecting these forms in hail, rain or sun( mainly the first 2) and getting a load of abuse.

They are paid per form correctly filled in.

If you choose to put in crap answers the only one you are harming is the enumerator as they won't get paid.

Based on the hours it involves its crap money and you're not fulfilling your legal obligation is just p!ssing on the person calling to your door.

I did the job clast time around and had an idiot who thought it was funny writing crap answers.
    I spent and hour with his wife redoing the form only for him to stop me on the road later thinking he was a big man. After me reading him the riot act he thought differently.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Yeah I'm not trying to take the p!$$, sorry. I just put "American" for nationality since that's all public policy really cares about anyway (I don't have Irish citizenship because I don't qualify to apply just yet). My actual ethnic background is not listed (really, no option for Jewish-American Princess?). No, seriously, I thought it important to say on the census that I was an American Jew. For what it's worth, which is probably nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

The question after being asked if you are unemployed, student etc assumes that unemployed people have had a "main" job. Bit of a pain in the ass to come up with something for doing an odd job now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can't decide if I speak Irish or not, I was taught it alright, didn't pick up much of it since I couldn't hold a conversation in it
    I'm the same, I put down "no" as my cupla focal can in no serious way imply that I speak Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm the same, I put down "no" as my cupla focal can in no serious way imply that I speak Irish.

There are 2 questions. Do you speak it and how often do you speak it. Yes/ Never

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There are 2 questions. Do you speak it and how often do you speak it. Yes/ Never
    I put down that I can't as a few rote learned words and phrases are not an ability to speak it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Can't decide if I speak Irish or not

Then you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

maryishere wrote: »
    and if you ever used contraception you are definitely not a catholic;)

Nah. That's just breaking the rules. Rejecting transubstantiation is denying the central pillar of the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

You could have died! :D

They'd hardly have dug me up to arrest me now, would they!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,298 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have someone in the house who is on holiday from the US, they ask if a person is resident in the state but then go on to want all the information about jobs and so on even though they are in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

If you share a sitting room/living area you are classified as one household
    Then you don't.

Probably not, kinda embarrassing to admit that after 14 years of being taught Irish I can't hold a full conversation in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Indeed. It explains on the form what they consider a household. They're a household unless they have 4 individual kitchens/sitting rooms, regardless of their relationship to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Probably not, kinda embarrassing to admit that after 14 years of being taught Irish I can't hold a full conversation in it

Embarassing for the state, not embarassing for you, you did not do anything wrong.

Most people I bet could not hold a conversation in Irish - or post their points on boards.ie in the Irish language, so its only correct for us people to proudly claim we can not and do not speak Irish. Even though it was drummed in to me for 14 years or whatever, I could not hold a conversation in it or am fluent in it - nor do I want to be - so no point claiming I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Adyx wrote: »
    Indeed. It explains on the form what they consider a household. They're a household unless they have 4 individual kitchens/sitting rooms, regardless of their relationship to each other.

so there is no reason for the forms not to be put into the letterbox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

looksee wrote: »
    I have someone in the house who is on holiday from the US, they ask if a person is resident in the state but then go on to want all the information about jobs and so on even though they are in another country.

I can see that. They may want some information on what sorts of employment visitors do. There is a place to put the address where the person works, and if it is foreign you can probably just put the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I have to go buy a pen to do this ****. Who uses ****ing pens these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I spilt sauce on mine

Occpuation: 'NOTHING SUSPICIOUS'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Does your household have access to the Internet?

Yes, Broadband connection
    Yes, other connection
    No

I don't have broadband or a bill for Internet as such. I do have a mobile phone and it's pay as you go with Three and I have internet on my mobile.

So what do I mark for this question?

We don't have broadband but 2 of us out of three have our own individual connection on our mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Does your household have access to the Internet?

Yes, Broadband connection
    Yes, other connection
    No

I don't have broadband or a bill for Internet as such. I do have a mobile phone and it's pay as you go with Three and I have internet on my mobile.

So what do I mark for this question?

We don't have broadband but 2 of us out of three have our own individual connection on our mobiles.

I put down broadband for this. It's broadband speed if it's 3 / 4G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I have to go buy a pen to do this ****. Who uses ****ing pens these days?

Shepards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chickatee25

So, even though it's stated on the first page of the census form and almost every question thereafter, me Mam's gone and put ticks in the box instead of the line requested! I don't even know how! Anyway, my question is can you use a bit of tipex on the form, even that tipex mouse thing (you know that thing you roll on the page)? Or can you get a new form from your Enumerator?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Does my hooker and gimp go on mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Does my hooker and gimp go on mine?

Only if they spend the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Any know what to write for question 27, if I work full time, but study part time???
    It looks like they you can be only one or the other. Im guessing I write down full time employee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I did the job clast time around and had an idiot who thought it was funny writing crap answers.
    I spent and hour with his wife redoing the form only for him to stop me on the road later thinking he was a big man. After me reading him the riot act he thought differently.:)

What I'm reading from this (please correct me if I'm wrong-- I'd love to be) is that the census enumerator is going to be reading all of the forms to check they're correctly answered?

Does anyone else feel this is slightly inappropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

enzo roco wrote: »
    Any know what to write for question 27, if I work full time, but study part time???
    It looks like they you can be only one or the other. Im guessing I write down full time employee

Housemate has the exact same situation, but in reverse. Fulltime student/work part-time.

She filled in both sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I spilt sauce on mine

I read that in a Ralph Wiggam voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Who uses ****ing pens these days?

Well if you dont have a pen the pig might get away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Housemate has the exact same situation, but in reverse. Fulltime student/work part-time.

She filled in both sections.

Yeah of course. There would be many students working part time.

But the question says, mark one box.

They dont want you to lie on the form but I am unable to tell the truth!!!

Advertisement