Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snobbery in education.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Mate I think a trip to Specsavers is needed. The poster didn't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would be curious if this is also by department and course (dependent on the people in the department and I would reckon by how specific a course is but also classmates).

As it happens I do know someone who was drunk as a skunk in Trinity and got a first. However he did do the work as he had good notes he wrote himself and helped a lot of people with the homework. I just have no idea when he did the work without the use of a time machine. Guess it shows people work in different ways and times so it can sometimes be hidden that they are doing work. Sorry for the off topic ramble but Permabear just reminded me of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I agree in general. I've experienced it myself in both the universities I've attended. There was just an expectation that you would do the work. I mean, it wasn't like not doing it would mean you'd be looked down upon or anything like that, but people would have been simply a bit puzzled as to why you wouldn't.

The bit in bold seems to be exactly the issue many of the teacher-training colleges have. These kids come straight from school, and despite being relatively high-scorers (after all teaching is 450+ points), they seem to totally lack any independence and are completely unwilling to do any kind of independent work, research etc. Even in the classes, basic respect is lacking: the students use their phones, chat and so on, with the lecturer having to act like the teacher of first years in secondary school, asking them to put phones away and stop talking! I don't know if it's an issue specifically with teacher training & the way the learning is conducted, but the anecdotal evidence I've heard is that those colleges are especially bad for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Maireadio wrote: »

Slightly moving away from your point here, but I was utterly shocked to hear that a girl from my year in school is teaching secondary maths now, at our old school. Why am I shocked? Because she didn't do Honours Maths for the Leaving Cert. I know because I was in the very small Honours Maths class (the only one in the year) and she wasn't in it. How does this happen?

I know the school maths curriculum isn't perfect but surely somebody with an interest in maths would study the subject to the highest level anyway, flaws and all? I just cannot believe we have an education system that allows such mediocrity. What if she gets a very bright student in her class and they ask her to go more in-depth on a particular concept? Likelihood is, she won't be able to explain it to them, and the student could then lose interest.[/quote]
    Add your reply here.
    Maireadio wrote: »

Slightly moving away from your point here, but I was utterly shocked to hear that a girl from my year in school is teaching secondary maths now, at our old school. Why am I shocked? Because she didn't do Honours Maths for the Leaving Cert. I know because I was in the very small Honours Maths class (the only one in the year) and she wasn't in it. How does this happen?

I know the school maths curriculum isn't perfect but surely somebody with an interest in maths would study the subject to the highest level anyway, flaws and all? I just cannot believe we have an education system that allows such mediocrity. What if she gets a very bright student in her class and they ask her to go more in-depth on a particular concept? Likelihood is, she won't be able to explain it to them, and the student could then lose interest.[/quote]
    Add your reply here.

Hold on there. Just because she wasn't an honours student when she was 16/17/18 doesn't mean she can't go back to school/repeat...
    You didn't mention what degree she has. Do you know anything about her since she did her leaving cert???
    Just because people make mistakes in their teenage years doesn't mean they can't make up for them when they're adults...

I did rubbish in my leaving, because I was immature, doing too much sport, and I was also lazy. But I'm an adult now. My education didn't finish at 18. Yourself and permabear seem to think it does. Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Christy42 wrote: »
    As it happens I do know someone who was drunk as a skunk in Trinity and got a first. However he did do the work as he had good notes he wrote himself and helped a lot of people with the homework. I just have no idea when he did the work without the use of a time machine.
    He probably closed his boards.ie account.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Actually Silverharp one of my favourite fields is philosophy of science! It is very much its own field and extremely important in developing the scientific method. It details the process of discovery amongst other things.

it sounds interesting , I tend to think you guys are are just reduced to being grant beggars and its any port in a storm.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

when you think about it , many people do a specific college degree and the first few years of their job at any rate might only leverage off their first year material and even then only a fraction of it.

University has become a nursery and a finishing school for some students and I'd prefer to see plenty of courses dropped and let kids study through apprenticeships and lessen the degree mill approach

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    it sounds interesting , I tend to think you guys are are just reduced to being grant beggars and its any port in a storm.

We are most of the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Well of course, common sense doesnt always prevail. I agree about Irish, but the department want their primary teachers more or less fluent in gaeilge.
    And Irish gets the same amount of time as english and Maths, ridiculous.

Glad you never said education finishes at 18.
    But just because a secondary school teacher did ordinary level in her leaving cert., doesnt mean she cant teach honours level maths, once she has the qualifications. Many things can change after the leaving cert.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

One example Lenny Abrahamson, has a 1st in philosophy. Don't see any of our 3rd level colleges producing film graduates with his talent?

I think the take home message here is that everyone is snobby about something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

When it comes to primary school anyone who managed to finish secondary school would have a level of maths required. No need for physics, maths and enginer phds to teach children how to add.

There is a stupid amount of weight towards Irish though.

The curriculum for science at second level is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The curriculum for science at second level is a joke.

Completely agree - way too dumbed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Only had a chance for a quick look through it but I am not saying anyone can teach it, knowing about a subject and the ability to teach it are different things.

A course in how to teach maths to primary school children would be unlikely to require advanced techniques meaning a D3 in ordinary level is sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

A course in how to teach maths to primary school children would be unlikely to require advanced techniques meaning a D3 in ordinary level is sufficient.

But what is a D3 in ordinary maths really saying about the mathematical ability of the teacher-in-waiting though?

• Advertisement

It doesn't say they love it that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Not just for maths, but for any subject, how can you possibly meaningfully explain a concept without have an good understanding of it? Just because you know how to do long division doesn't mean you can explain it in an effective way. And being good at writing leaving cert essays doesn't mean you'll be a good English teacher. And teaching isn't just about teaching a discrete concept on it's own, you're teaching in a logical sequence, one thing leading on to the next. I'd be concerned by any teacher teaching a subject they were only able to get a D3 in ordinary level LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

enzo roco wrote: »
    Hold on there. Just because she wasn't an honours student when she was 16/17/18 doesn't mean she can't go back to school/repeat...
    You didn't mention what degree she has. Do you know anything about her since she did her leaving cert???
    Just because people make mistakes in their teenage years doesn't mean they can't make up for them when they're adults...

I did rubbish in my leaving, because I was immature, doing too much sport, and I was also lazy. But I'm an adult now. My education didn't finish at 18. Yourself and permabear seem to think it does. Nonsense.

You know, you could be right, enzo. But if I was a betting woman, I'd put money on me being right! :pac: She wasn't the worst student, that's the thing. She was diligent enough. So maths seemingly just wasn't her thing. I think she did an Irish degree though I'm not 100% sure on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Yes, a person teaching a subject shouldn't just know the subject to that level, they need to have a deep understanding way, way beyond that.

I have a bachelors degree in science and I personally don't feel my depth of knowledge is good enough to teach the subject.

Just because a person did ordinary level it doesn't mean that they would be anxious about teaching it. Maybe I just don't find HL as impressive as others here seem to do. I did HL and it was just learning new methods that wouldn't come up at primary level, nothing there would have helped me teach the subject better. If people required a good understanding we would require degrees in the topics but that would be impractical when 1 teacher has to cover all subjects. HL had 2 papers to get through and there was no taking the time if a person was struggling with a topic, you got it the first time or dropped down.

Here is my views in a way you'll understand. You want a Harvard graduate level of person while arguing the person needs to go to Trinity over UCC. I'm sure the Harvard graduate would raise an eyebrow as the talk about 2 universities he/she has never heard of.

I wouldn't take much from a person's secondary level education at all. Tell me how they do in a maths degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is important the teachers have an interest in and an enthusiasm for maths, in order to convey that to children. A D at ordinary level in the LC implies someone with little interest in that subject as they must have done better in other subjects.

• Advertisement

Last time I checked the HL course did not include a section on how to teach mathematical concepts. In future I'll remember only you are allowed to be dismissive.

Advertisement