Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snobbery in education.

Options
  • 22-04-2016 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

Has anyone encountered much snobbery when it comes to education?

I have both in my work and personal life. I got my degree at an IT while one of my colleagues got hers at NUIG. She used to make little comments inferring that University degrees were much better than those attained at ITs.

In one sense I think she has a point as degrees earned from universities tend to look better on paper for prospective employers, but the actual content of the course isn't all that different I don't think.

Another form of snobbery in relation to education I encountered was from my brother, who left formal education at a fairly young age. He was of the mind that students were essentially useless and had very little common sense. I think his snobbery came from some insecurity he had about his own education.

Comments

There's always been a rivalry between GMIT and NUIG. The whole thing is a load of toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There's an ancient Middle English/Low German word to describe individuals who indulge in such snobbery.

Knobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pragmatic1 wrote: »

I have both in my work and personal life. I got my degree at an IT while one of my colleagues got hers at NUIG. She used to make little comments inferring that University degrees were much better than those attained at ITs.

In one sense I think she has a point as degrees earned from universities tend to look better on paper for prospective employers, but the actual content of the course isn't all that different I don't think.

Another form of snobbery in relation to education I encountered was from my brother, who left formal education at a fairly young age. He was of the mind that students were essentially useless and had very little common sense. I think his snobbery came from some insecurity he had about his own education.

they both sound like inferiority complex. In the first case your colleague's nose is out of joint because they didn't have enough points to go to one of the Dublin universities :pac: and the second case is rubbishing something they weren't in a position to do.
    Life is too short , a few years out of college and its your reputation and what you have done that counts.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I was at school with a guy who gained his degree in computer science from a local IT. He went on to become one of the team who developed Windows 95.

I'm sure Microsoft couldn't give a toss where he got his qualifications from so long as he could deliver. In fact all the tech companies are like that, or am I wrong?

North America must be the world leaders in education snobbery, with England close runners up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I do think the content or difficulty of courses can vary between universities/IT's etc. For example is the course content and student ability of a Chemistry degree at UCD going to be the same as one at Imperial or one at Cambridge or one at MIT or one at Stanford? I genuinely don't believe it is. It's not snobbery but is a recognition that not all degrees are necessarily of a similar standard of difficulty even if they're in the same subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In fairness our uni's all rank poorly on the global ladder. I'd an embarrassing experience once, I started boasting to the wrong people, the next thing league tables were being produced. I was left red faced.

Not all degrees are equal, but most are. She obviously wants to think hers is superior but I doubt there's breathing room between the two.

I think you're spot on about your brothers problem. I've met lots of people who like to imply that education means nothing, when the lack of it obviously means a lot to them in a negative way or they wouldn't be so fast to put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

silverharp wrote: »
    they both sound like inferiority complex. In the first case your colleague's nose is out of joint because they didn't have enough points to go to one of the Dublin universities :pac: and the second case is rubbishing something they weren't in a position to do.
    Life is too short , a few years out of college and its your reputation and what you have done that counts.
    Yeah I agree. Funny thing is my brother is now in University as a mature student. Must get on to him about his 180.

Work experience is definitely more important as you progress with your job,but I think if all things were considered equal except that one candidate went to an IT while another went to a University, employers would be more likely to offer a position to University educated person.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,323 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It happens and a lot of it is just bickering amongst people.
    I'm in honours level maths and your in ordinary.
    I'm in the C.B.S and your in the Community college.
    I'm in a University and your only in an IT.

Third level isn't for everyone tough and some people just want to start working when there finished school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

In both cases it's a massive generalisation and those are rarely of much value.

Some ITs are very good for certain disciplines, some unis are very good for others. Some students are useless, most are not.

As a counterpoint to your NUIG colleague, my brother did an engineering diploma in an IT then went on to complete his degree in a university. Always maintains that the IT taught him far more valuable practical skills and was a much better learning environment.

But I went to UCG(;)) and found it a great place to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I find it pretty ridiculous in Ireland when people have that kind of snobbery. Commerce in UCD or Business Management in DIT are both probably equally impressive (or unimpressive as it may be) in an international context. We don't have any universities with a reputation close to the Ivy Leagues or the Oxfords and Cambridges.

Remember hearing from a friend of a friend of a guy from UCD doing engineering, typical academic overachiever, maximum points in the LC, didn't drink or go out and top of his college class. Anyway he applied for year abroad, got his first choice obviously and had a year in UCLA. UCLA is apparently very high ranked in engineering and the standard of work expected as well as the workload was so much higher. He went from top of the class to the bottom 10%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Never happened, only in my head. I had to drop down to ordinary level Maths, did higher in everything else. No one gave a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I went to the shit University (ex-Poly) in Manchester - MMU - which is on the same road as the well-respected University of Manchester.

It was quite common to hear this chant from UoM **** on the bus:
    "Your dad works for my dad, your dad works for my dad, la la la la HEY! la la la la" Repeat ad nauseum.

I find it pretty ridiculous in Ireland when people have that kind of snobbery. Commerce in UCD or Business Management in DIT are both probably equally impressive (or unimpressive as it may be) in an international context. We don't have any universities with a reputation close to the Ivy Leagues or the Oxfords and Cambridges.

Remember hearing from a friend of a friend of a guy from UCD doing engineering, typical academic overachiever, maximum points in the LC, didn't drink or go out and top of his college class. Anyway he applied for year abroad, got his first choice obviously and had a year in UCLA. UCLA is apparently very high ranked in engineering and the standard of work expected as well as the workload was so much higher. He went from top of the class to the bottom 10%.
    Yeah I've heard that the workload in US Universities is much larger than those in European Universities.

It was an English lad who went to Sheffield university, which is a fairly good University, that told me. He spent a year in the US and said it was much more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

brummytom wrote: »
    I went to the shit University (ex-Poly) in Manchester - MMU - which is on the same road as the well-respected University of Manchester.

It was quite common to hear this chant from UoM **** on the bus:
    "Your dad works for my dad, your dad works for my dad, la la la la HEY! la la la la" Repeat ad nauseum.

In just surprised you'd hear that out of anyone old enough for third level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

In fairness our uni's all rank poorly on the global ladder. I'd an embarrassing experience once, I started boasting to the wrong people, the next thing league tables were being produced. I was left red faced.

University league tables are a load of nonsense,

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I was at a wedding recently where I was the only person at the table not to have a Masters or a PhD and got teased over that. But that was friends in a relaxed environment making bad jokes. A work environment is completely different and this only reflects badly on your colleague, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I was judged for my mistakes at work, and not the university that I went to. I worked with one guy who was a college drop-out and he gave me a master class on using something that I was not familiar with. I was cool with that.

But then again, I work in tech, which is quite an egalitarian environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yeah I agree. Funny thing is my brother is now in University as a mature student. Must get on to him about his 180.

Ahh why would you do that? That's only perpetuating the education snobbery you're complaining about! Why not encourage and support him instead if that's not something you don't do already? The most important thing to you should be that he did do a 180 and doesn't need to be reminded of his previous mistakes.

Work experience is definitely more important as you progress with your job,but I think if all things were considered equal except that one candidate went to an IT while another went to a University, employers would be more likely to offer a position to University educated person.

That'd all depend upon the employer and what they're looking for in the role for which they're looking to employ someone. Your assumption is based upon your own bias and education / employment snobbery tbh.

• Advertisement

Ahh why would you do that? That's only perpetuating the education snobbery you're complaining about! Why not encourage and support him instead if that's not something you don't do already?

He means his about-turn 180.

Not the points in his Leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

A place makes your certified Qualification more or less valid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Arsehole are always looking for a way to frame themselves as being better than others, education is another tool in the box.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

NiallBoo wrote: »
    In just surprised you'd hear that out of anyone old enough for third level education.

I'm not. There are some students that act like complete and utter numpties.

Candie wrote: »
    He means his about-turn 180.

Not the points in his Leaving.

No I understand he meant the turnaround change in his brothers attitude to education. I just think it's unnecessary to be getting onto him about it is all, particularly when the OP is trying to make a point about educational snobbery themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I went to a university, but as a manager who hires people I personally think that IT graduates come out with more practical experience and cop on than those from universities.

Ahh why would you do that? That's only perpetuating the education snobbery you're complaining about! Why not encourage and support him instead if that's not something you don't do already? The most important thing to you should be that he did do a 180 and doesn't need to be reminded of his previous mistakes.

It'll be a gentle ribbing as he's my brother and we wind each other up all the time.

That'd all depend upon the employer and what they're looking for in the role for which they're looking to employ someone. Your assumption is based upon your own bias and education / employment snobbery tbh.

I'll wind up my brother as he's my brother and we have a laugh together. I'm actually very proud of him.

Notice that I mentioned that "all things being considered equal". FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

University league tables are a load of nonsense,

Have to disagree with this, they're a good general guide.
    I went to NUIG, fwiw.

genericguy wrote: »
    I went to a university, but as a manager who hires people I personally think that IT graduates come out with more practical experience and cop on than those from universities.
    Yeah it probably depends on your degree. I've heard that ITs can be favoured for more technical disciplines as there's more emphasis placed on the practical application of the course. Half of my own degree was spent doing laboratory practicals.

• Advertisement

genericguy wrote: »

Personally, I think whether it's an IT or a Uni is only one aspect of a person's potential employment prospects. The amount of times I've met people with PhD's who are unemployed, it doesn't surprise me any more tbh. Someone just asked me there about interviewing techniques and the modern behaviour/competency based technique is recommended simply because it's easier to add a skill than change an attitude.

Advertisement